Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama by Alison…

Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Alison Bechdel

Member:mongoosenamedt
Title:Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama
Authors:Alison Bechdel
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Books Read in 2013
Rating:***

Are You My Mother?: A Comic Drama by Alison Bechdel (2012)

English (67)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  English (69)
This and Fun Home make me want to read everything.
  csoki637 | Nov 27, 2016 |
I loved Alison Bechdel's first book so much I have read it more times than I can count. I loved everything about it. This book may be rated badly by me because I was expecting to love it like I loved Fun Home. However, though there were parts of this book that I enjoyed, it was so completely different in its attempts that I was often lost. I will continue to give Bechdel the benefit of the doubt, and I will re-read this book to see if my opinion changes. It may just be that I could not connect on a personal level. ( )
  ceciliachard | Oct 17, 2016 |
The artwork is great, but the story leaves much to be desired. The plot, such as it is, spends too much time in therapy sessions and inside Bechdel's own head, making it far less compelling -- and far more meta -- than her previous memoir, "Fun Home". And while the literary references are fun (including a new take on one of Dr. Seuss's stories), I found the psychoanalytical references dense and confusing. I still give this three stars because of the uniqueness of Bechdel's perspective and the exquisite drawings, but this cathartic book was certainly more satisfying for her than it was for me. ( )
  bostonian71 | Sep 26, 2016 |
The latest foray into the realms of the graphic novel led me to Bechdel's autobiographical works about her parents.

Fun Home, the earlier of the two books, describes her growing up and relationship with her father. Without going into much of the plot and issues, Fun Home offers an exploration into Bechdel's coming to terms with outgrowing the illusions of her childhood whilst exploring works of literature. In a way, one of the aspects that have kept me hooked to the story is Bechdel's connection of her own story and that of the people around her to the plots and characters of literary works and authors.

Are You My Mother? tries to follow up Fun Home with an investigation of Bechdel's relationship with her mother. Although following a similar structure as Fun Home, Are You My Mother? focuses on the analysis of Bechdel's relationship issues from a psychological perspective. Filled with anxiety and compulsion, her introspection at times is little more than a frustrating read, probably because I can't really relate to a lot of the neurosis she seems to have suffered through. The literary aspect of Fun Home is still present in this sequel but it is not at strong as in Fun Home.

So, 3* for Are You My Mother and 4* for Fun Home.

The drawings and artwork in in both are excellent. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
A moving and beuatiful story about how hard it is to be a daughter, and a mother. Honest, heartbreaking and fun at the same time. ( )
  JohannaIdgie | Aug 7, 2016 |
"For nothing was simply one thing." ~ Virginia Woolf
For my mother, who knows who she is.
While engaged in some sort of home-improvement project, I inadvertently block my exit from a dank cellar.

From the best-selling author of Fun Home, Time magazine’s No. 1 Book of the Year, a brilliantly told graphic memoir of Alison Bechdel becoming the artist her mother wanted to be.

Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home was a pop culture and literary phenomenon. Now, a second thrilling tale of filial sleuthery, this time about her mother: voracious reader, music lover, passionate amateur actor. Also a woman, unhappily married to a closeted gay man, whose artistic aspirations simmered under the surface of Bechdel's childhood . . . and who stopped touching or kissing her daughter good night, forever, when she was seven. Poignantly, hilariously, Bechdel embarks on a quest for answers concerning the mother-daughter gulf. It's a richly layered search that leads readers from the fascinating life and work of the iconic twentieth-century psychoanalyst Donald Winnicott, to one explosively illuminating Dr. Seuss illustration, to Bechdel’s own (serially monogamous) adult love life. And, finally, back to Mother—to a truce, fragile and real-time, that will move and astonish all adult children of gifted mothers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:12 -0400)

Alison Bechdels Fun Home was a pop culture and literary phenomenon. Now, a second thrilling tale of filial sleuthery, this time about her mother: voracious reader, music lover, passionate amateur actor. Also a woman, unhappily married to a closeted gay man, whose artistic aspirations simmered under the surface of Bechdel's childhood . . . and who stopped touching or kissing her daughter good night, forever, when she was seven. Poignantly, hilariously, Bechdel embarks on a quest for answers concerning the mother-daughter gulf. It's a richly layered search that leads readers from the fascinating life and work of the iconic twentieth-century psychoanalyst Donald Winnicott, to one explosively illuminating Dr. Seuss illustration, to Bechdels own (serially monogamous) adult love life. And, finally, back to Motherto a truce, fragile and real-time, that will move and astonish all adult children of gifted mothers.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,662,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible