Blue Highways: A Journey into America by…

Blue Highways: A Journey into America (1982)

by William Least Heat-Moon

English (45)  Italian (1)  All languages (46)
An interesting read about a road trip around the edges of America. ( )
  ffifield | Oct 7, 2018 |
A delightful reflective tour around the USA. A series of small town encounters. People, places, history. Least Heat Moon picked places out of the Rand McNally atlas mostly based on peculiar names. He gets to talking with various local folks and shares with us what he learns. I didn't pick up any grand agenda. But he writes well and helps us get to know some places and people off the interstates. ( )
  kukulaj | Jun 4, 2018 |
One of the first audio books I ever "read," back when they were on cassette. I practically fell in love with William Least Heat-moon , and I am pretty sure he was a big influence on my back-roads adventuring ways. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
A bed side book, so progress was slow.
Nearly as slow as the pace of the book. It was an interesting inside view on American society not long after the protest marches MLK organized.

Glad to be finished, it won't be listed as one of my favorites. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Feb 4, 2017 |
In 1978, William Least Heat-Moon lost his job and his wife. He decided to take a road trip through the entire U.S. He followed the roads less travelled – that is, the “blue highways” on the map, the ones that mostly avoid the big cities. He headed east from where he lived in Missouri, then made a big circle around the outskirts of the country, following the blue highways. In each place, he chatted with the people and learned about the cultures in each part of the country.

It was ok. It wasn’t fast-moving, and with so many different towns and people, it felt a little like short stories (which are not my favourite thing). Like with short stories, some people/places/stories were more interesting to me than others. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 13, 2016 |
[William Least] Heat Moon climbed into his Econoline van and drove 12,000 miles down the back roads of America — and recorded it all in this big, richly detailed book. ... Heat Moon writes from the perspective of "a contaminated man who will be trusted by neither red nor white." His Indian mind feels an especially violent antipathy to the wasteland of ecocidal capitalism, but his white mind knows how tenuous his red roots are. ... An immensely appealing performance.
added by Roycrofter | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 8, 1982)

William Least Heat-Moonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Camp, Maion Op densecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tex, Gideon denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for the wife of the Chief and for the Chieftain too. In love.
Beware thoughts that come in the night.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316353299, Paperback)

First published in 1982, William Least Heat-Moon's account of his journey along the back roads of the United States (marked with the color blue on old highway maps) has become something of a classic. When he loses his job and his wife on the same cold February day, he is struck by inspiration: "A man who couldn't make things go right could at least go. He could quit trying to get out of the way of life. Chuck routine. Live the real jeopardy of circumstance. It was a question of dignity."

Driving cross-country in a van named Ghost Dancing, Heat-Moon (the name the Sioux give to the moon of midsummer nights) meets up with all manner of folk, from a man in Grayville, Illinois, "whose cap told me what fertilizer he used" to Scott Chisholm, "a Canadian citizen ... [who] had lived in this country longer than in Canada and liked the United States but wouldn't admit it for fear of having to pay off bets he made years earlier when he first 'came over' that the U.S. is a place no Canadian could ever love." Accompanied by his photographs, Heat-Moon's literary portraits of ordinary Americans should not be merely read, but savored.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Hailed as a masterpiece of American travel writing, Blue Highways is an unforgettable journey along our nation's backroads. William Least-Heat-Moon set out with little more than the need to put home behind him and a sense of curiosity about "those little towns that get on the map--if they get on at all--only because some cartographer has a blank space to fill: Remote, Oregon; Simplicity, Virginia; New Freedom, Pennsylvania; New Hope, Tennessee; Why, Arizona; Whynot Mississippi." His adventures, his discoveries, and his recollections of the extraordinary people he encountered along the way amount to a revelation of the true American experience.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,839,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible