The kraken wakes by John Wyndham

The kraken wakes (original 1953; edition 1964)

by John Wyndham

Member:PilgrimJess
Title:The kraken wakes
Authors:John Wyndham
Info:Penguin (1964), Unknown Binding

The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham (Author) (1953)

Recently added bytcards, CMDrysdale, kosj, private library, karlanz, Alex_Maybe, Leaky37, souloftherose, davidpark
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne (generalkala)
    War with the Newts by Karel Čapek (bertilak)
    The Swarm by Frank Schätzing (divinenanny)
    divinenanny: Almost the same premis, but expanded and modernised.
    Flood by Stephen Baxter (bertilak)
    bertilak: Two different accounts of extreme increases of sea level.
    After the Rain by John Bowen (edwinbcn)
    The Secret Masters by Gerald Kersh (SomeGuyInVirginia)

English (26)  Danish (2)  German (1)  All languages (29)
Consider this book a cross between Wyndham's most famous book, Day of the Triffids, and H G Wells' War of the worlds. Into an already edgy cold war climate come creatures which live in the deepest parts of our oceans and possess advanced technology. Weather it's our fault or theirs things escalate and only one species can survive.
There were two things I liked about this classic science fiction story. The first is Wyndham's playing with the media and the governmental spin put on the events being described in the book. He portray's his government and governments in general as completely useless when they are most needed. The other thing I liked was that Wyndham makes no attempt at any point to describe some monster from the deeps for us. He leaves everything up to our imaginations which, lets face it, can come up with all sorts of horrors to fill the gaps the author leaves. ( )
  ecumenicalcouncil | Jan 2, 2014 |
Fantastic stuff. I've started reading or-rereading Wyndham's novels this year (I recently read [b:The Midwich Cuckoos|826847|The Midwich Cuckoos|John Wyndham|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1178729404s/826847.jpg|812592]) and I'm struck by how low-key they seem. Not for Wyndham the heat-ray or giant mechanical monsters of [a:H.G. Wells|880695|H.G. Wells|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1201281795p2/880695.jpg]'s prototypic alien invasion, instead there's more of the mystery and foreboding with the realisation that there is a threat to be dealt with only coming when it's far to late to do anything about it even if anything had been possible before.

The fact that we never know what the 'bathies' look like or their motivations or really anything about them is ever known makes them all the more effective antagonists: creepy and unpredictable, unlike the more conventional human enemy of the Soviet Union, to whom at first their activities are linked. And again, these activities don't start on a flash-bang Hollywood movie set-piece scale - there are just some odd things happening at sea.

Meanwhile, the characters are also fantastic. Michael and Phyllis Watson both know which of them is in charge, and the strong character of the wife makes it all the more effective when she begins to break down and lose hope.

Great book. I think [b:The Day of the Triffids|530965|The Day of the Triffids|John Wyndham|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1283043614s/530965.jpg|188517] is next for me! ( )
  stevejwales | Apr 26, 2013 |
The Kraken Wakes is similar in tone to Wyndham's other invasion books -- The Day of the Triffids and The Midwich Cuckoos. Similar in plot, too, I suppose, but I just don't get tired of this kind of story, apparently. There are similar themes in play about two intelligent species inevitably coming into conflict (which also arises to some extent in The Chrysalids).

The whole management of the media bit amused me rather, and made me wonder to what extent it's really true that any individual reporters would be trying to do that balancing act. Particularly when I see headlines like 'Paralysed dog taught to walk again' and 'Invisible hearing aid' when I'm watching my sister read the paper at lunch, for some reason, and it seems so very incongruous with the life or death stuff I'm reading... I just have to imagine them carefully deciding how much truth readers can take about, say, how the dog became paralysed.

Oh, except the sinking of a Russian ship that popped up on my twitter feed, from CNN, just as I was reading about the mysterious disappearances of ships in The Kraken Wakes -- that I could picture being carefully handled and spun by the reporters.

The ethics of these characters is particularly noticeable, I suppose, with the recent discovery of The News of the World's little breaches of ethics.

Once again, this rides the line between horror and SF, I think -- through both horrific imagery and a sense of the uncanny when ships disappear and strange things happen to them. It's not that scary though -- partially, I think, due to the measured pace and tone, and the fact that it's written after the events have taken place (so the characters must, perforce have survived). ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Having read and enjoyed a number of John Wyndham's books when I was younger, I spotted this in the local charity shop and picked it up.

It builds very slowly, and for about two thirds of the novel I felt I was reading a fairly average, fairly unoriginal sci fi. But by the the last section I found myself thoroughly enjoying the book. The catastrophic scenario envisaged towards the end of the novel is genuinely frightening, especially since it is so close to many current scientific predictions concerning the melting of the polar ice caps and rising sea levels.

It certainly feels of its time (it was published in 1953) - the characterisation of the female characters is pretty poor and reliant on stereotypes, and the Cold War is an ever present theme. The presentation of Russia is actually very funny at times - "The sea, he [the Russian leader] appeared to be arguing, was causing a great deal of inconvenience to the West; therefore it must be acting on good dialectically materialistic principles."

Unfortunately, I found the ending pretty weak. It seemed a little rushed, and like Wyndham had tried to come up with a quick fix to prevent his readers coming away too depressed.

I would still recommend it, although don't expect the quality of H. G. Wells, as promised by the blurb on the back cover! It did though provide me with a few evenings light and exciting reading, which was just what I was after. ( )
  themayfly | Mar 31, 2013 |
This remains one of my favourite novels ever written. Jolly hockey sticks in the face of rising sea levels, alien sea monsters and the world falling apart. The haunting descriptions of drowning London send shivers down my spine. ( )
  imyril | Mar 11, 2013 |

Kannosto, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lord, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willock, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
The nearest iceberg looked firmly grounded.

It all began with a series of fireballs falling into the oceans. When the Admiralty began to investigate, they found that their equipment and personnel disappeared deep underwater.

42 wanted3 pay2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,480,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible