Chasing Paradise (Alpine Woods Shifters) by…

Chasing Paradise (Alpine Woods Shifters)

by Sondrae Bennett

This is the second novella in Sondrae’s Alpine Woods Shifters series and was just as steamy as the first one. They are novellas so everything does happen a little quicker than it normally would, but am still enjoying them.

I loved Ethan when we met him in the first book and was looking forward to seeing what kind of woman was going to keep his attention. He is sarcastic and another alpha male who is used to getting his way. His mouth does get him in trouble a couple of times, but he is still very lovable.

I liked Gwen, but I did not love her like I did Samantha. I wanted her to fight more for what she deserved and not always think she was not good enough. Her self-doubt was getting on my nerves a little bit, but I can understand insecurities after she heard what Ethan had to say about her in the beginning. Luckily, it does not last forever and she and Ethan have a sweet courtship.

Overall, I am still enjoying this novella series and am looking forward to the next one. ( )
  ABookwormsHaven | Nov 20, 2011 |
The Alphine Woods Shifters series follows a world where shifters exist in many different forms. Not only do you have the predatory shifter animals but you also have a range of other shifter types. I found the concept of an otter shifter to be charming. Gwen is a beautiful, curvy woman who has been looking forward to finding her mate for a long time but never imagined she would end up with an alpha wolf. And Ethan, who had run away for a holiday in the sun in order to avoid pressure to become mated, never imaged he'd end up well... mated at all really.

The whole premise of this book is whether it's possible to move on after someone you care about has said a silly, hurtful thing not because they mean to hurt you but because of what's going on in their own lives/head at the time. And it's beautifully handled, with strong characters who are focussed on building a relationship. The equal time spent on both Ethan and Gwen's POV means that what could have ended up an angst-ridden "he hurt me" novel instead ends up as a tale about grown-up relationships. The novella length means you don't get sick of all the angst and you see enough of the secondary characters to keep interested in the series.

Even though this is the second book in a series, it could be read as a stand-alone book although Arctic Winds gives you the background of the town and how this pack is so different.

Fully/revised review posted on my blog at www.wanderinghues.wordpress.com ( )
  WanderingHues | Sep 13, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,137,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible