A Marriage Carol by Chris Fabry

A Marriage Carol

by Chris Fabry, Gary D. Chapman

A light Christmas read. Full of hope and Christmas magic. I read it without thinking about the author. After I finished the book it was obvious the author's biases towards marriage weighed heavy on the book. But it was interesting and I was glued from the beginning to the end. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
I received this book as a Goodreads First read. Seems like a simple little story that is perfect for Christmas time. Can't wait to read. Updated review to come soon!

UPDATE
So I got this book in the mail today and read it in an hour. At first I was certain that is was just going to be another predictable story but as it went on it became something that I could enjoy more. I thought it was a very cute book that anyone could read and get enjoyment out of. Overall liked the book! ( )
  llevine2934 | Dec 5, 2013 |
Don’t Miss This Touching Christmas Read!

Maralee and Jacob have had it with their marriage. The final paperwork for the end will be signed on Christmas Eve.

While driving to their destination the snow falls heavily and the roads are getting very slippery. Jacob decides to take a shortcut through a mountain pass and this is where Maralee’s journey begins.

Can man/woman say when a marriage is over? What about God?

I found this book to be very insightful, touching, and healing. If it doesn’t make you think about your own marriage something is wrong. There is always room for improvement. A gentler kinder voice, uplifting words, a praise or two when due, maybe even a loving touch.

If you are reading this review, I urge you to pick up a copy of A Marriage Carol. You will not be disappointed! ( )
  passionforbooks | Nov 7, 2013 |
You can find my full review at Quieted Waters.

“His name is Jacob. And I’m Marlee Ebenezer.”

With overt similarities to the classic Christmas carol, A Marriage Carol paints a picture of a failing marriage and one woman’s lesson in what it takes for a marriage to survive. Marlee and her husband begin the story on their way to the divorce lawyer, on Christmas eve, on their twentieth anniversary, before unexpected circumstances get in the way. While the book isn’t written primarily to Christians, the authors’ faiths comes through in their characters; but the larger message is about marital relationships, rather than Christian faith. ( )
  QuietedWaters | May 22, 2013 |
A Marriage Carol
Chris Fabry, Gary Chapman
This is a story about a couple on their way to sign divorce papers. It was snowing heavily and due to an accident they do not make it. They are barely talking before the accident. Than Marlee, the wife, has a life altering experience at a home that is used as a marriage retreat by the elderly couple that lives there with their dog. Through out the story the problems and the actions of the couple in their life and family are realistic and it is easy to see how a couple falls into these patterns and resentments. It is with care, wit and warmth that the elderly couple have an influence on Marlee. Because the reality one person can make a difference in the marriage, whether it is the offended party or the offender. There are always exceptions to this, however given time and effort marriage is worth fighting for. This was a copy given to me by Net Galley in exchange for a review. Thank you Net Galley for the opportunity to review this book. ( )
  Robin661 | Jun 29, 2012 |
This unforgettable story of a love that has grown stagnant through the years touches a tender place in the heart of the reader. Through the busyness of careers and raising children a husband and wife drift apart to a point where there appears to be no common ground. Our choices affect every detail in our lives. The authors have created a situation that is all too common in marriages, complacency and rancor. In this modern-day Dickensonian tale lessons in compassion and unconditional love warm the heart and invite us to examine our own lives and relationships. The descriptive elements in this story are vivid and memorable. Secrets in the snow play a magical role in this stirring novella. I began reading this book late one evening, and as I headed for bed I sensed a blizzard raging outside the house. I had to look out the window to confirm that it was a typical balmy October night! I awoke during the night to the sound of what I perceived to be a snow plow! Chris Fabry and Gary Chapman did a brilliant job of creating this realistic Christmas Eve!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from River North, Fiction From Moody Publishers in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review.

Chris Fabryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chapman, Gary D.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080240264X, Hardcover)

On Christmas Eve twenty years earlier, Marlee and Jacob were married in a snowstorm.   This Christmas Eve, they are ready to quit, divorce is imminent. Their relationship is as icy as the road they're traveling and as blocked with troubles as the piling snow. They take a shortcut to get to the lawyer's office, on a slippery, no-fault path. She thinks they need to stay on the main road. He disagrees. They fight. Story of their lives and they slam into a bank of snow , spinning, drifting, falling, out of control. Just like their lives. Reluctantly, freezing cold, hungry, scared, she trudges up the hill. Jacob is nowhere to be found. Her ears frozen, fingers and hands red, she comes to a house on the hillside, built like a Bed and Breakfast, a green wreath on the red door and the door-knocker is in the shape of a wedding ring.

The red door opens and the first thing she notices is the fire in the room, blazing hot, a warm, inviting, friendly place and the voice of an old man welcomes her in. There are three golden pots on the hearth, shining, glimmering things. The old man claims that they are used to restore marriages. She laughs-and begins a journey through her past, present, and future that will test how she views her lifelong love. There are two futures available. Which will she choose?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:02 -0400)

Marlee and Jacob are traveling over an icy mountain pass to sign divorce papers at their attorney's office when a truck broadsides them and Marlee's injured.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,370,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible