dismiss

The Neverending Story (1985)

by Michael Ende

Shy, awkward Bastian is amazed to discover that he has become a character in the mysterious book he is reading and that he has an important mission to fulfill.
    Inkheart / Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (Bitter_Grace)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another story about young boys in a fantastical realm which is influenced by their imaginings.
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (sibyllacumaea)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (Cecrow)
    Harry Potter: The Complete Collection (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling (Anonymous user)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Anjali.Negi)
    The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (GoST)
    Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe (lampbane)
    lampbane: Employs a similar theme of a child adventuring through a world created by the hearts and imaginations of people.
    Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers (grizzly.anderson)
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (thiagop)
    Jane's Adventures In and Out of the Book by Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy (bookel)
    The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Beorn_se_Bacaire: Walter Moer's Zamonian series has a similar sense of wimsy as The Neverending Story.
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (infiniteletters)
    La bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Tout comme dans La Bibliothécaire, le héros de l'Histoire sans fin plonge littéralement dans un livre.
    The Pagemaster by David Kirschner (infiniteletters)
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its science fiction counterpart
    Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien by Steve Hillard (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books deal with characters interacting with characters within the books they're reading.

English (161)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (179)
This is my favorite children's book of all time. Read it as a child and occasionally re-read it. I love this story. It makes you think about things, I love the fantasy bit of it, the big 'nothing', everything really. The movie didn't do it justice at all, because I think the second half of the book is just essential really, and it might well be I love the second half of the book the best. ( )
  prettygoodyear | Jun 29, 2020 |
Re-Read, 4/10/20:

After yet another re-read, I've come to a simple conclusion: I decided to write fiction because I loved this story so much. I figured it out as a kid when I saw this movie for the first time.

So, why is that?

Because every work of fiction is a collaboration between the writer and the reader. In this case, it's between a reader and the written word and the actual reader of both... and the uber-reader, all of whom include each one of us, create this world anew.

We are the Neverending Story.

So what does this mean when it comes to the second half of the tale, where wishes remove memories? Is it a magic-consequence rule? Or is it just another metaphor for growing old, forgetting about our youth and creativity?

I tend to think it is the hard-rule of death. Generations pass and stories pass out of memory. Sometimes they don't, but most of the time, they do.

And this is why it's all the more important to keep the dream alive. Keep the STORIES alive.

Original Review:

Like many people of my generation, I loved the film adaptation (the first, not the second, thank you) and never realized that it had come from a book until a number of years later. In fact, I read it the first time in '07 and not only was I delighted at how imaginative it was, but I was also flabbergasted (joyfully so) that it lived up to its name.

It's quick reading by any standard, but so deliciously dense in imagery, mythology, and an engrossing plot that I swore that if I had any children, this would be a staple of their diet.

Now that I have a little girl, I'm just too anxious to start reading it to her. I really can't sit still. I keep picking up the book and going, "Is she old enough, yet? Is she? Is she?" Then I set down the book and tear out my metaphorical hair and let out a forlorn cry. Then I get a fantastic idea:

I could just read it again, for myself!

Then everything is right with the world again and I'm able to write a new review.

This is easily one of my favorite tales, ever.

An extra goodie: April had a great review that forced me to think and respond in (I hope) a comprehensible way. Check it out. April's Review ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
door Warre:

Het oneindige verhaal is een spannend, mysterieus en intrigerend boek. Het boek is opgesplitst in 2 delen. Het verhaal van de persoon dat het boek aan het lezen is en het verhaal dat in het boek staat. Dat zorgt voor wat afwisseling waardoor het luchtiger wordt om te lezen. Het boek is wat aan de lange kant. Het begin komt traag op gang maar naarmate het einde word het spannender.

Iets positief aan het boek is dat het veel originele ideeën heeft. Een voorbeeld daarvan is dat de mensen het boek te weinig aan het lezen zijn. Zo kan de fantasie van de mensen de wereld geen vorm meer geven, in andere woorden de fantasie van de mensen is aan het verdwijnen samen met de fantasiewereld. De wezens kiezen daarom iemand uit om avonturen te gaan beleven die mensen willen lezen. Iets wat niet zo goed is aan het boek is dat de letters in 2 verschillende kleuren zijn getypt waardoor het soms wat onleesbaar wordt. Dat is omdat de rode letters de realiteit zijn en de blauwe letters het verhaal dat zich afspeelt in het boek

Ik zou het boek zeker aanraden, want het laat je denken over dingen waar je normaal niet over denkt. Het boek confronteert je met bizarre concepten die je nergens anders vindt. Zo krijg je een unieke ervaring als je het boek leest. Van mij krijgt het boek 4 van de 5 sterren omdat het een zeer tof verhaal is en je al snel een heel levendig beeld krijgt van de fantasiewereld. ( )
  literair_adolescent | May 7, 2020 |
I thought that I'd never finish this one...GET IT??

This is some ways is like an unfunny version of [b:The Princess Bride|21787|The Princess Bride|William Goldman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1327903636s/21787.jpg|992628]. At least at first. The story is extremely meta, but then transforms into something seemingly not meta, but only really makes sense if one treats it as meta. Confused? Well, the story is fine without the overarching meta-tale but can feel a little-forced plot-wise.

Give it a try, whether you remember the movie or not. (I've seen the movie once and thought it was OK as I remember, I think the book is better.)

Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
It was indeed never ending. Aedan enjoyed it however, so it was worth the read. ( )
  CraigBrophy | Feb 24, 2020 |

Mantel, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nieuwenhuizen, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pandolfi, AminaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadflieg, RoswithaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This inscription could be seen on the glass door of a small shop, but naturally this was only the way it looked if you were inside the dimly lit shop, looking out at the street through the plateglass door.

Small and insignificant Bastian Balthazar Bux is nobody's idea of a hero, least of all his own. Then, through the pages of an ancient, mysterious book, he discovers the enchanted world of Fantastica, and only Bastian himself can save the fairy people who live there.

AR Level 5.9, 18 pts

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140074317, 0140317937

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,706,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible