The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

The Neverending Story (1985)

by Michael Ende

The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another story about young boys in a fantastical realm which is influenced by their imaginings.
    Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (Bitter_Grace)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (sibyllacumaea)
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (Cecrow)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (GoST)
    Harry Potter Box Set (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling (Anonymous user)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Anjali.Negi)
    Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe (lampbane)
    lampbane: Employs a similar theme of a child adventuring through a world created by the hearts and imaginations of people.
    Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers (grizzly.anderson)
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (thiagop)
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its science fiction counterpart
    The Pagemaster by David Kirschner (infiniteletters)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Beorn_se_Bacaire: Walter Moer's Zamonian series has a similar sense of wimsy as The Neverending Story.
    Jane's Adventures In and Out of the Book by Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy (bookel)
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (infiniteletters)
    La bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Tout comme dans La Bibliothécaire, le héros de l'Histoire sans fin plonge littéralement dans un livre.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien by Steve Hillard (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books deal with characters interacting with characters within the books they're reading.

English (154)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (173)
I’ve always been a bookworm, so when this film came out and I discovered it was based on a book, I had to read it. I was 9 when The Neverending Story came to the big screen and 10 when I read book for myself. Rereading this now, I see where so many of my deepest held beliefs about books, reading, and readers come from and for that, I will always be grateful to Michael Ende, Bastian, Atreyu, Falkor, the Childlike Empress, and Mr. Coreander.

This is a heartbreaking and heartwarming fantasy tale with big life lessons. It could also, if I’m brutally honest, be about 100 pages shorter without losing much. There’s a reason why the filmmakers only used about the first half of the book for the original film. The pacing comes to a screeching halt after about page 190 and it drags for quite a while, but the ending makes it all worthwhile. You have to experience the full tale to appreciate the lessons learned. I miss the characters already. ( )
  DGRachel | Apr 2, 2019 |
This is the story of a boy named Bastian. His mother has died, his father barely talks to him, and he doesn't have many friends. One day, on his way to school, he stops in a book store and finds a book titled "The Never Ending Story". He steals the book, runs to the attic in his school, and begins to read. He enters a world named Fantastica. Fantastica is in trouble - the Childlike Empress needs a new name, and unless she gets one, Fantastica will be swallowed up by the Nothing. A young hero, named Atrayu, goes on a quest for the empress to stop the Nothing and find someone to give the empress her new name. In the end it is Bastian that must save Fantastica but he isn't sure how.

I have watched the movie The Neverending Story a few times. The first 180 pages or so covers that movie, so I was a little curious to see where the story was going to go once the credits rolled. I was pleased that for the most part, the movie followed the first part of the book. I know they made a second movie, but I have never seen it, and I am not sure if it picked up where the first ended.

Never the less, the book was pretty good. The story got a little lost in parts. Bastian enters Fantastica after he gives the empress her new name, and he tries to become Emperor himself. He becomes spoiled, and unruly until he turns his only friends in Fantastica away from him. He starts to forget who he was and where he came from. The more wishes he makes, the more he loses of himself. In the end, he doesn't even remember his name. His friends come to his rescue to get him back home.

I suggest reading it. It has its moments where I rolled my eyes and thought "really?" but most books do. This is a good book for kids as well - whether to read it to them, or - if a little older - for them to read themselves. The main character is around 12 years old, so kids could relate to his trials and triumphs. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I grew up in a bubble, and then I moved out of that bubble to live under a rock. So, I had never read this book, I haven’t seen the movie, and I was completely unfamiliar with the story. I think I would have loved this as a child. As an adult, I was a little less enthusiastic. I liked the beginning, and the end, and parts of the middle, but I also thought it often grew tedious.

The main character is Bastian, a young boy who stumbles into an old bookshop by accident and sees a book that attracts him so much that he does something he never would have considering doing before. He steals the book. After his crime he feels like he can’t go home, so he hides in the attic of his school and reads. It's about a fantastical world called Fantastica that is dying because its ruler, the Childlike Empress, is sick and nobody knows why or how to cure her. The empress sends a boy named Atreyu on a quest to find out how to cure her. As Bastian reads, the line between reality and fantasy starts to get blurry.

I really enjoyed the concept of the story. In many ways, it reminded me of the Wizard of Oz books that found their way into my bubble when I was a child. There is a lot of traveling around, meeting strange and fantastical creatures, seeing weird landscapes, and having adventures. This is what started to feel tedious to me, so maybe I don’t have quite as much patience for aimless wandering and random encounters as I did when I was younger.

In the Wizard of Oz books, however, there’s more of an emphasis on the main characters helping others and trying to make their lives better while also learning to tolerate other people’s quirks. That’s how I remember them, anyway. In this book, I got pretty annoyed with Bastian and his many bad and self-absorbed decisions. Starting from when he was afraid to enter Fantastica and give the empress a name because he was afraid they'd be disappointed by how he looked. I mean, people were suffering and disappearing and turning into lies that affected the human world left and right, and he decides to drag things out for the sake of his pride. Admittedly he was very young and there were additional circumstances that could be blamed for some of his later bad decisions, but it made it difficult for me to sympathize with him. I did really like the ending, though. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Nov 11, 2018 |
This is technically a children's book but it is one of the most interesting books I have ever read. Bastian is not the most popular boy in school but he finds solace in the wonderful book he takes from a mysterious shopkeeper. He may get sucked into his book more than anyone does into any ordinary book, but "The Neverending Story" is still a captivating book with the most interesting characters you'll ever find.

The one drawback to this novel are that it lulls a bit in the latter half of it, but the ending makes up for it in the most beautiful way possible. The book is chock full of literary allusions that keep it interesting even during this bit, and this lull is vital to Bastian's development as a protagonist. It has one of the most original plotlines I've ever encountered and recommend it to anyone who wants a good book to get out of a reading rut, because it rekindled my love for reading after not reading for a few months. ( )
1 vote juliawallace | Oct 31, 2018 |
Amazing story!
Bastian is a little boy all to himself. since his mother died his father doesn't seem to have time for him anymore. The other kids at school pick on him. He is the chubby unliked kid. But when he stumbles into an old book store and steals an interesting book from the shopkeeper he decides to run away to the storage attic in his school to read the book. Little does he know that this isn't any ordinary book. Bastian is about to get more than he bargained for!
Ah the memories... I loved this movie when I was a kid. I still love it today as an adult. Reading the book was a very interesting experience for me. As I got to reminisce about the memories of the movie I also got to learn the scenes and characters that were left out of the movie. The book seems to take on a bit of a different story and has lots more depth to it which is usually the case. although the book has the same feel as the movie does.
in reading the book I now know why the author was so upset about the ending of the film. The film ends almost literally in the middle of the book and has so many more adventures to tell. Perhaps they should have made the rest of the book a sequel instead of the sequel they made. Although elements of the book do show up in the first sequel.
I loved reading this book and looking back on my childhood years. This is definitely a book that I recommend to anyone young or old. As long as you have an imagination you will love this book! ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Jul 30, 2018 |

Mantel, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nieuwenhuizen, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pandolfi, AminaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadflieg, RoswithaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This inscription could be seen on the glass door of a small shop, but naturally this was only the way it looked if you were inside the dimly lit shop, looking out at the street through the plateglass door.

Small and insignificant Bastian Balthazar Bux is nobody's idea of a hero, least of all his own. Then, through the pages of an ancient, mysterious book, he discovers the enchanted world of Fantastica, and only Bastian himself can save the fairy people who live there.

AR Level 5.9, 18 pts

Shy, awkward Bastian is amazed to discover that he has become a character in the mysterious book he is reading and that he has an important mission to fulfill.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140074317, 0140317937

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,920,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible