The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

The Neverending Story (1985)

by Michael Ende

Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (Bitter_Grace)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another story about young boys in a fantastical realm which is influenced by their imaginings.
    The Book of Lost Things: A Novel by John Connolly (sibyllacumaea)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its science fiction counterpart
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    Brave Story (Novel-Paperback) by Miyuki Miyabe (lampbane)
    lampbane: Employs a similar theme of a child adventuring through a world created by the hearts and imaginations of people.
    Harry Potter Box Set (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling (Anonymous user)
    The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (GoST)
    Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers (grizzly.anderson)
    Jane's Adventures In and Out of the Book by Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy (bookel)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Anjali.Negi)
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (Cecrow)
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (infiniteletters)
    The Pagemaster by David Kirschner (infiniteletters)
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (thiagop)
    La bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Tout comme dans La Bibliothécaire, le héros de l'Histoire sans fin plonge littéralement dans un livre.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Beorn_se_Bacaire: Walter Moer's Zamonian series has a similar sense of wimsy as The Neverending Story.
    Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien by Steve Hillard (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books deal with characters interacting with characters within the books they're reading.

English (152)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (168)
One of my favourite books ever. Playful, yet deep and spiritual. ( )
  davidmasters | Oct 13, 2017 |
Many of the people I follow have either marked this as 'to be read' or have given it 3 stars! Even though I don't follow many people, I find it funny that this book is either tossed to the wayside in an endless TBR list, or it is given an average rating. This work does some interesting and mind-blowing things, so for me it is far from average, and I think anyone who likes fantasy should give it a try.

Now when I say it does some mind-blowing things, that does not necessarily mean the whole book is absolutely amazing. While I think a lot of the events that take place are beautifully unique and imaginative, it did drag in certain parts. The "neverending" story certainly could do with a trim. However, this book introduces fantastical concepts that I have never remotely heard of nor been exposed to anywhere else. If ouroboros (the symbol of a snake eating its own tale) represented reality, Michael Ende has made the book version of such.

There is no end to this story and I love how reality is dealt with. The book establishes Bastian in the real world and Fantastica as the world created from the dreams of the human race. But, there are frequent references to us, the reader, who are indeed reading a story about Bastian's world, so which is the real world? Ende explores how the realities we imagine and the realities we exist in are both real, depending on which one you are living in. This may sound complicated, but it truly is just interesting to read about, and then subsequently think about. This book doesn't make your head spin or spur an existential crisis. It does examine society's consciousness and unconsciousness and the worlds that could exist because of them, and which are the truths and which are the lies.

In the second half of the book there is a heavy Arthurian influence (knights, Excalibur-esque sword, questing, and Bastian took on qualities of perfection that reminded me of Beaumains or Galahad) which just adds another layer of mythos to the tale. It warrants another read, or at least certain passages, for sure. Bastian's "perfection" while under the influence of Auryn, and just Bastian as a character warrants discussion. I feel like a lot of people may think of Bastian as unlikeable, and it's true, he was awful, and perhaps that despicable behavior can't all be blamed on Auryn. What really intrigues me and why I think this book is set apart from other fantasy, is that it explores what would happen when the hero is offered ultimate power, and we expect for them to turn it down and do what's right, but he doesn't. He wants the power and he wants to rule. And it brings him within a hair's breadth of ruin. Bastian's wake up call is his visit to the town of humans who also fell prey to the allure of power and the chance to rule over all of Fantastica. The fact that it was written almost comically where the townsfolk had forgotten themselves and how to even function properly was down right chilling and masterfully written. There is so much to discuss about this book novice fantasy writers or those majoring in writing could do theses project upon theses project concerning it!

For those wondering, or those going into this book because they love the 1984 movie (the movie is one of my all time favorites, FYI), the first half is followed by the movie extremely closely. When Bastain renames the Empress as Moonchild (where the movie ends), that is when book and movie radically start to diverge. According to my mother who has seen the sequel film, it does take some content from the second half of the book, but being the petulant person that I am, I won't watch the sequel because even if its source material is some of the best fantasy I have ever read, that doesn't ensure the movie is anything but a cash grab flop.

I think I would purchase a copy of this book just for future reference. Just to read snippets when seeking inspiration or to admire the brilliant and ground-breaking fantasy this story is. It is good to read the whole thing through once I think, and then skim or bookmark your favorite passages for the future. ( )
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |
Part of why I love this book is the movie. Part is because I have the most gorgeous American edition, delightfully meta, the book is just like the book is described in the book, with Auryn on the cover and print of red and green, with giant illuminated letters.

The first half of the book is the story in the movie - Bastian steals a book, and as he reads it he comes to realise that he is the hero who can save the dying world. The second half... I have never really understood. It's a bit of an analogy. Bastian is told 'Do What You Wish', but his wishes destroy his memories of who he is. Until eventually, because of his friends, he finds the Water of Life, and is filled with joy, and realises he is 'the very person he wanted to be' just as he is, and hat all joy in the world is one and the same, the joy of love. ( )
  atreic | Jun 21, 2017 |
A boy finds a book that transports him into the world it describes, so that he can save it.
A fun, inventive story with an excellent beginning and an excellent ending, but which does get to be a bit much in the middle - too many silly creatures and crazy adventures, really. ( )
  electrascaife | Apr 27, 2017 |
Having grown up on the movies, I was very confused when the "conclusion" occurred halfway through the book. Then I realized the book had been divided to make the first *two* movies in the series. While I greatly enjoyed my travels with Atreyu and Falkor, I was a bit surprised to find how much more I enjoyed part two than its movie equivalent. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 20, 2017 |

Mantel, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nieuwenhuizen, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pandolfi, AminaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadflieg, RoswithaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This inscription could be seen on the glass door of a small shop, but naturally this was only the way it looked if you were inside the dimly lit shop, looking out at the street through the plateglass door.

Small and insignificant Bastian Balthazar Bux is nobody's idea of a hero, least of all his own. Then, through the pages of an ancient, mysterious book, he discovers the enchanted world of Fantastica, and only Bastian himself can save the fairy people who live there.

AR Level 5.9, 18 pts

Shy, awkward Bastian is amazed to discover that he has become a character in the mysterious book he is reading and that he has an important mission to fulfill.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140074317, 0140317937

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible