Nekonečný příběh by Michael Ende

Nekonečný příběh (original 1985; edition 2006)

by Michael Ende, Eva Pátková, František Skála (Illustrator)

Member:adno
Title:Nekonečný příběh
Authors:Michael Ende
Other authors:Eva Pátková, František Skála (Illustrator)
Info:Praha : Albatros, 2006
Tags:fiction, fantasy, borrowed, from martin, czech translation, german lit, read 2012

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (1985)

The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another story about young boys in a fantastical realm which is influenced by their imaginings.
    Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (Bitter_Grace)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (sibyllacumaea)
    The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its science fiction counterpart
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers (grizzly.anderson)
    The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (GoST)
    Harry Potter Box Set (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling (Anonymous user)
    Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe (lampbane)
    lampbane: Employs a similar theme of a child adventuring through a world created by the hearts and imaginations of people.
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (thiagop)
    Jane's Adventures in and out of the Book by Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy (bookel)
    The Pagemaster by David Kirschner (infiniteletters)
    La Bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Tout comme dans La Bibliothécaire, le héros de l'Histoire sans fin plonge littéralement dans un livre.
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (infiniteletters)
    Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien by Steve Hillard (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books deal with characters interacting with characters within the books they're reading.
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Beorn_se_Bacaire: Walter Moer's Zamonian series has a similar sense of wimsy as The Neverending Story.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)

English (127)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (141)
This German tale is about a boy named Bastian Balthazar Bux who discovers a book in an antique store. The story is completely enthralling and soon he finds himself within the story. He meets the young warrior named Atreyu and his Luckdragon named Falkor, who are trying to save the Childlike Empress from the encroaching “nothing”. As he begins to loose himself in the world of Fantastica, his new friend Atreyu helps him find his way home.

Parts of this book are so dark for a young adult story. The sea of sadness, werewolf named Gmork, and a spider-like beast called Ygramul the Many all would have scared me silly if I’d read them when I was young. Also, the plot with the AURYN gem and the way it changes Bastian reminded me a bit too much of the Lord of the Rings. Not a bad book, but not one that was a new favorite. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jan 19, 2015 |
This book is definitely better than the movie that scarred and traumatised my childhood (which, incidentally, only tells half of the book's story). It definitely has a German quality to it, though. There are lots of characters introduced at a time, and while this feels normal in the beginning of the book, it becomes a drag in the last third, where I at least felt like I had figured out the gist of what was to come and wondered how long it was going to take the author to get us to it. This won't be an all time favourite, but the plot makes for a pretty clever idea overall. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Nov 22, 2014 |
1.) Bastian is the main character who is extremely lonely but comes across an odd book that drew him into another world. Only a human can save this magical place called Fantastica to get to the Empress. He has to go through a long journey and adventures with monsters, dragons, monsters and so much more. The further he travels the more it seems he may not be able to return back to where he came from.

2.) This book is another favorite and Classic in my opinion. I love books that take me out of my element and has your mind running wild. This book is probably geared towards school age kids which would be a great read due to all of the adventure and twists and turns. I love that this book was written years and years ago but can still be read today or read more than once and still brings so much joy and excitement to the reader and audience.

3.) The classroom idea I would use for this particular book would be a group or partner activities. Journal entries and group discussion & feedback on what they is happening & what they may happen in the rest of the book. ( )
  ashpoe | Oct 26, 2014 |
The Neverending Story is great. If you love reading, and are ever sad when you get to the end, this book is for you. ( )
  Ambo_O | Oct 21, 2014 |
I've had this in my to-read pile for years. The movie is a childhood favorite of mine. Finally, I decided to rad through on an airplane trip. I downed most of it in one sitting.

The most noteworthy thing is that the movie's script only uses about the first 200 pages of the book, so less than half. The screen version is fairly faithful to it. Now, here's the thing: I could never stomach more than a few minutes of the sequel movie. The vibe of it just felt WRONG to me, like it shattered the beautiful dream of the first movie. The latter part of the book felt the same way to me—maybe it's a faithful adaptation, too? I can't say. Bastian in Fantastica just feels weird, and he becomes a worse and worse person on his journey, which is annoying. I found myself skimming more as I was anxious to finish the book and move on.

I think if I read this as a kid, it might have even turned me off of the movie that I loved. Tainted it somehow because of the full plot arc. So I'm glad I read this when I was older, but it's definitely a book that is going back in the trade-in pile. ( )
  ladycato | Aug 1, 2014 |

Ende, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Basoli, AntonioIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manheim, RalphTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nieuwenhuizen, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pandolfi, AminaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadflieg, RoswithaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This inscription could be seen on the glass door of a small shop, but naturally this was only the way it looked if you were inside the dimly lit shop, looking out at the street through the plateglass door.

Small and insignificant Bastian Balthazar Bux is nobody's idea of a hero, least of all his own. Then, through the pages of an ancient, mysterious book, he discovers the enchanted world of Fantastica, and only Bastian himself can save the fairy people who live there.

AR Level 5.9, 18 pts

Shy, awkward Bastian is amazed to discover that he has become a character in the mysterious book he is reading and that he has an important mission to fulfill.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140074317, 0140317937

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,144,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible