Nekonečný příběh by Michael Ende

Nekonečný příběh (original 1985; edition 2006)

by Michael Ende, Eva Pátková, František Skála (Illustrator)

Member:adno
Title:Nekonečný příběh
Authors:Michael Ende
Other authors:Eva Pátková, František Skála (Illustrator)
Info:Praha : Albatros, 2006
Tags:fiction, fantasy, borrowed, from martin, czech translation, german lit, read 2012

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (1985)

Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (Bitter_Grace)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another story about young boys in a fantastical realm which is influenced by their imaginings.
    The Book of Lost Things: A Novel by John Connolly (sibyllacumaea)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its science fiction counterpart
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    Brave Story (Novel-Paperback) by Miyuki Miyabe (lampbane)
    lampbane: Employs a similar theme of a child adventuring through a world created by the hearts and imaginations of people.
    Harry Potter Box Set (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling (Anonymous user)
    The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (GoST)
    Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers (grizzly.anderson)
    Jane's Adventures In and Out of the Book by Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy (bookel)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Anjali.Negi)
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (Cecrow)
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (infiniteletters)
    The Pagemaster by David Kirschner (infiniteletters)
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (thiagop)
    La bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Tout comme dans La Bibliothécaire, le héros de l'Histoire sans fin plonge littéralement dans un livre.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Beorn_se_Bacaire: Walter Moer's Zamonian series has a similar sense of wimsy as The Neverending Story.
    Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien by Steve Hillard (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books deal with characters interacting with characters within the books they're reading.

English (150)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (166)
A boy finds a book that transports him into the world it describes, so that he can save it.
A fun, inventive story with an excellent beginning and an excellent ending, but which does get to be a bit much in the middle - too many silly creatures and crazy adventures, really. ( )
  electrascaife | Apr 27, 2017 |
Having grown up on the movies, I was very confused when the "conclusion" occurred halfway through the book. Then I realized the book had been divided to make the first *two* movies in the series. While I greatly enjoyed my travels with Atreyu and Falkor, I was a bit surprised to find how much more I enjoyed part two than its movie equivalent. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 20, 2017 |
The Never Ending Story is one of my favourite books from childhood, I read and re-read this book many times and also watched the movie over and over until the tape was basically unplayable. It's been a long time since I last read it and as my hubby bought me a new copy for Christmas I thought, why not? There's no time like the present. My childhood copy is now owned by my daughter along with my original copy of The Hobbit. No chance of me ever seeing those again.

I went into this book with lots of fond memories and I was a bit apprehensive that reading it now would possibly spoil those memories, but I am glad to say that didn't happen. I enjoyed it just as much as I did as a child. I had forgotten how vivid and imaginative the world of Fantastica was. Even now I still felt the same wonder I had as a child at the possibility of being able to physically travel through the world within a book. I have to say, it felt a bit neverending once I moved into the second part of the book. The grown up me found the second half a bit of a slog and somewhat of a flop, just like the second movie.

Reading it for the first time as an adult, I picked up on many things that I had missed as a child. The hidden meanings and messages that had gone over the head of the younger me were there for the older me to dissect and ponder on. I remember as a child always getting frustrated when I was completely immersed in the story and then bam, up pops those dreaded words “But that is another story and shall be told another time.” I remember being desperate to know what became of those stories, I didn't want to move on until I had journeyed to the end of one story. The Adult me sees the cleverness behind the words, all stories are at their heart a neverending story, each could branch off into another, and another, and so on. There's a world of endless possibilities out there, stories waiting to be told. ( )
  Scarlet-Aingeal | Mar 30, 2017 |
I loved this movie growing up, and still have a spot for it as an adult. I think because the movie storyline is so set in my mind, I actually like it better. So much more happens in the book. The book doesn't end where the movie does. When the book continued on, it felt like the mood changed to become more aimed toward an older audience in my opinion. I would compare it to how [b: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe|100915|The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1353029077s/100915.jpg|4790821] had a really storybook feel and how [b: The Magician's Nephew|65605|The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1308814770s/65605.jpg|1031537] and others of the series had a what was this guy smoking vibe Haha.
I enjoyed it very much, and I'm very glad I took the time to read something so monumental to several generations. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

Mantel, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nieuwenhuizen, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pandolfi, AminaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadflieg, RoswithaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This inscription could be seen on the glass door of a small shop, but naturally this was only the way it looked if you were inside the dimly lit shop, looking out at the street through the plateglass door.

Small and insignificant Bastian Balthazar Bux is nobody's idea of a hero, least of all his own. Then, through the pages of an ancient, mysterious book, he discovers the enchanted world of Fantastica, and only Bastian himself can save the fairy people who live there.

AR Level 5.9, 18 pts

Shy, awkward Bastian is amazed to discover that he has become a character in the mysterious book he is reading and that he has an important mission to fulfill.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140074317, 0140317937

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,413,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible