Never-ending Story by Michael Ende

Never-ending Story (original 1985; edition 1984)

by Michael Ende

Title:Never-ending Story
Authors:Michael Ende
Info:G. K. Hall & Company (1984), Edition: Large type edition, Hardcover, 592 pages

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (1985)

The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another story about young boys in a fantastical realm which is influenced by their imaginings.
    Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (Bitter_Grace)
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its science fiction counterpart
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (sibyllacumaea)
    Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers (grizzly.anderson)
    The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (GoST)
    Harry Potter Box Set (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling (Anonymous user)
    Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe (lampbane)
    lampbane: Employs a similar theme of a child adventuring through a world created by the hearts and imaginations of people.
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (thiagop)
    Jane's Adventures In and Out of the Book by Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy (bookel)
    The Pagemaster by David Kirschner (infiniteletters)
    La Bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Tout comme dans La Bibliothécaire, le héros de l'Histoire sans fin plonge littéralement dans un livre.
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (infiniteletters)
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Beorn_se_Bacaire: Walter Moer's Zamonian series has a similar sense of wimsy as The Neverending Story.
    Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien by Steve Hillard (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books deal with characters interacting with characters within the books they're reading.

English (137)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (153)
Liked this, but it just wasn't compelling enough for me to make time for it. Read 200 pages, moving on.

"You don't feel a thing. There's just something missing. And once it gets hold of you, something more is missing every day. Soon there won't be anything left of us." (48)

"When it comes to controlling human beings there is no better instrument than lies." (133)

He never stopped believing in mysteries and miracles. (134)

"Oh, the world is full of things you don't see." (The Childlike Empress to Atreyu, 156)

You wish for something, you've wanted it for years, and you're sure you want it, as long as you know you can't have it. But if all at once it looks as though your wish might come true, you suddenly find yourself wishing you had never wished for any such thing. (Bastian, 176)
1 vote JennyArch | Nov 30, 2015 |
A lonely boy named Bastian finds a strange book that draws him into the beautiful but doomed world of Fantastica, a place that can only be saved by a human giving its ruler, the Childlike Empress, a new name. I really wish this challenge included the whole 2015 year -- I read The Rabbit-Back Literature Society about two months ago, and it was fantastic. The Neverending Story hit many of my least-favorites all at once. The journey, it was long, it was wide, it was about an inch deep. I am too old for this book, because I don’t deal well with skimming, and skimming is all this book does. I found it incredibly superficial -- but I wish I had an eight year old to read it to.
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
Don't be fooled. The movie The Neverending Story only covers about one-third of the novel. I was reading this aloud to my kids, and we got to the part that I remember from my hundreds of childhood viewings of the movie as being pretty much the end of the story and then the thing just kept going and going and going. Luckily my kids haven't seen the movie yet so they had no sense of the book going past the ending.

Overall, my kids loved this book, and I quite liked it. I was surprised at how into it they were and how much detail they retained just listening to the book.

I do wonder, is the religious symbolism intentional? I suppose the idea of being re-created as something new and whole isn't necessarily religious, but the way Ende goes about it seems to really lean in that direction, and I wonder if it was a C.S. Lewis-type situation, or if the religious symbolism was just coincidence. I'll probably Google it next time I want to procrastinate doing something I'm supposed to be doing. ( )
1 vote ImperfectCJ | Sep 23, 2015 |
"The Neverending Story" takes you to a world of fantasy.
The story starts out with a boy named Bastian stealing a book from a bookstore and hiding away in the school attic to read it.
He is swept away into an enchanting world called Fantastica following Atreyu to try save Fantastica from The Nothing.
This book pulls you into a beautiful imaginary world, capturing childhood's magic in a special way. ( )
  Haidji | Sep 17, 2015 |
There are some books that I can re-read over and over again. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende is one of them. Some of you (or most of you who knows) are aware that the 1980's film of the same name was based off of a book. I can say with absolute confidence and conviction that the book is superior in every way. The story is centered around a little boy named Bastian Balthazar Bux (one of the most fantastic names in literature) who is not your typical hero. He's chubby and spends the majority of his time buried in books. He has a strained relationship with his father and he is bullied at school. This character is real. He is tangible. I empathized with this character on a lot of levels. He comes upon a book (I'm definitely leaving a lot out here on purpose) titled The Neverending Story and from this moment on he is changed forever. This isn't a regular book. It's alive. The reader (us) is taken on a journey with the reader (Bastian). We are introduced to the land of Fantastica with characters that range from the Childlike Empress who is the ruler of the land to Atreyu who is on an epic quest. This might be one of the first books that caused me to weep with grief...or maybe it's just the first one that I remember. Whatever the case, I still cry every single time I read this book and I try to read it once a year. It's an adventure story that is layered with magic, friendship, and self-discovery. There's a reason why it's one of my favorite books of all time. ( )
2 vote AliceaP | Jul 3, 2015 |

Ende, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Basoli, AntonioIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manheim, RalphTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nieuwenhuizen, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pandolfi, AminaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadflieg, RoswithaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This inscription could be seen on the glass door of a small shop, but naturally this was only the way it looked if you were inside the dimly lit shop, looking out at the street through the plateglass door.

Small and insignificant Bastian Balthazar Bux is nobody's idea of a hero, least of all his own. Then, through the pages of an ancient, mysterious book, he discovers the enchanted world of Fantastica, and only Bastian himself can save the fairy people who live there.

AR Level 5.9, 18 pts

Shy, awkward Bastian is amazed to discover that he has become a character in the mysterious book he is reading and that he has an important mission to fulfill.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140074317, 0140317937

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,954,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible