Never-ending Story by Michael Ende

Never-ending Story (original 1985; edition 1984)

by Michael Ende

6,585None570 (4.18)261
Member:rickyg12
Title:Never-ending Story
Authors:Michael Ende
Info:G. K. Hall & Company (1984), Edition: Large type edition, Hardcover, 592 pages
Rating:*****

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (1985)

20th century (42) adventure (113) books (35) children (129) children's (199) children's books (53) children's fiction (32) children's literature (120) classic (86) classics (48) dragons (43) fairy tales (33) fantasy (1,259) fiction (629) German (145) German literature (84) juvenile (43) literature (32) made into movie (38) magic (56) movie (33) novel (73) own (36) read (113) sff (40) to-read (96) translation (38) unread (51) YA (81) young adult (129)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another story about young boys in a fantastical realm which is influenced by their imaginings.
    Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (Bitter_Grace)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (sibyllacumaea)
    The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its science fiction counterpart
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers (grizzly.anderson)
    The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (GoST)
    Harry Potter Box Set (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling (Anonymous user)
    Jane's Adventures in and out of the Book by Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy (bookel)
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (thiagop)
    The Pagemaster by David Kirschner (infiniteletters)
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (infiniteletters)
    Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe (lampbane)
    lampbane: Employs a similar theme of a child adventuring through a world created by the hearts and imaginations of people.
    La Bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Tout comme dans La Bibliothécaire, le héros de l'Histoire sans fin plonge littéralement dans un livre.
    Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien by Steve Hillard (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books deal with characters interacting with characters within the books they're reading.
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Beorn_se_Bacaire: Walter Moer's Zamonian series has a similar sense of wimsy as The Neverending Story.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)

English (119)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (133)
There was a point where this story really seemed to never end. For that reason alone I give it four stars. It was much better than the movie in many ways. I would love to see it remade by someone who cares about the book. ( )
  teeney | Mar 14, 2014 |
Some mild spoilers below

This has been one of my favorite books since I was a child. It's a wonderful narrative for those of us who grew up immersed in books - it gave us the hope that someday we'd be able to jump into the story ourselves, and wasn't that what we'd always wanted? I know there are a lot of people out there who dislike the second half of the book, which is basically Bastian's rebuilding of fantastic, but I think it's a really important commentary about how lost in the story someone can become. We're all desperate to change those things we dislike about ourselves and the book helps Bastian to do that. It does prove itself to be somewhat detrimental, since he forgets who he was originally, while he's in Fantastica, but I do believe the ending resolves that.

All in all, I think this book is really great for children with all the action and adventure, but it's also wonderful for adults to go back and see the subtler points, while reliving that innocence and adventure from their youth. ( )
  morgtini | Feb 25, 2014 |
The Neverending Story by Michael is an exciting fantasy adventure story about a young boy who comes across a magical book. As he starts to read the book he begins to suspect that there is something very strange about it and the more he reads the more he quite literally gets sucked into the story. This is one of my favorite books of all time and I think I enjoy it only slightly less as an adult than I did as a child. What I love about this book isn't just the story, but the book itself which is a work of art. The book is printed in two colors to help differentiate between what is happening with the main character and what is going on in the book he is reading. There are also beautiful illustrations at the beginning of each chapter. I know some editions are in black and white so I would recommend finding a color version to get the full experience. This book is geared towards children/young adults but I think other adults will enjoy it as much as I did especially if they enjoy stories such as Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, and The Chronicles of Narnia. ( )
  Kythe42 | Feb 17, 2014 |
I read it a long long tim ago, this was one of my favorites when i was little. A complete fantasy world, nice story, funny...just a nice book to read. ( )
  Farore | Feb 7, 2014 |

Ende, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Basoli, AntonioIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manheim, RalphTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pandolfi, AminaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadflieg, RoswithaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This inscription could be seen on the glass door of a small shop, but naturally this was only the way it looked if you were inside the dimly lit shop, looking out at the street through the plateglass door.

Small and insignificant Bastian Balthazar Bux is nobody's idea of a hero, least of all his own. Then, through the pages of an ancient, mysterious book, he discovers the enchanted world of Fantastica, and only Bastian himself can save the fairy people who live there.

AR Level 5.9, 18 pts

Shy, awkward Bastian is amazed to discover that he has become a character in the mysterious book he is reading and that he has an important mission to fulfill.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140074317, 0140317937

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible