Never-ending Story by Michael Ende

Never-ending Story (original 1985; edition 1984)

by Michael Ende

Member:rickyg12
Title:Never-ending Story
Authors:Michael Ende
Info:G. K. Hall & Company (1984), Edition: Large type edition, Hardcover, 592 pages
Rating:*****

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (1985)

Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (Bitter_Grace)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another story about young boys in a fantastical realm which is influenced by their imaginings.
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (sibyllacumaea)
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its science fiction counterpart
    Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers (grizzly.anderson)
    The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (GoST)
    Harry Potter Box Set (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling (Anonymous user)
    Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe (lampbane)
    lampbane: Employs a similar theme of a child adventuring through a world created by the hearts and imaginations of people.
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (thiagop)
    Jane's Adventures In and Out of the Book by Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy (bookel)
    The Pagemaster by David Kirschner (infiniteletters)
    La Bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Tout comme dans La Bibliothécaire, le héros de l'Histoire sans fin plonge littéralement dans un livre.
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (infiniteletters)
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Beorn_se_Bacaire: Walter Moer's Zamonian series has a similar sense of wimsy as The Neverending Story.
    Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien by Steve Hillard (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books deal with characters interacting with characters within the books they're reading.

English (134)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (149)
There are some books that I can re-read over and over again. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende is one of them. Some of you (or most of you who knows) are aware that the 1980's film of the same name was based off of a book. I can say with absolute confidence and conviction that the book is superior in every way. The story is centered around a little boy named Bastian Balthazar Bux (one of the most fantastic names in literature) who is not your typical hero. He's chubby and spends the majority of his time buried in books. He has a strained relationship with his father and he is bullied at school. This character is real. He is tangible. I empathized with this character on a lot of levels. He comes upon a book (I'm definitely leaving a lot out here on purpose) titled The Neverending Story and from this moment on he is changed forever. This isn't a regular book. It's alive. The reader (us) is taken on a journey with the reader (Bastian). We are introduced to the land of Fantastica with characters that range from the Childlike Empress who is the ruler of the land to Atreyu who is on an epic quest. This might be one of the first books that caused me to weep with grief...or maybe it's just the first one that I remember. Whatever the case, I still cry every single time I read this book and I try to read it once a year. It's an adventure story that is layered with magic, friendship, and self-discovery. There's a reason why it's one of my favorite books of all time. ( )
1 vote AliceaP | Jul 3, 2015 |
I was always an avid reader but Michael Ende's Neverending Story got me hooked for life. Easily one of my favorite books of all time, this one is definitely very close to my heart. I love everything about this book, including the ingenious way the chapters are arranged, as well as the different color fonts. To me, it is a fundamental book on how to read books: it schools the imagination. You'll never read another book in the same way again. After reading the Neverending Story, books teemed with new life for me. Themes were more thundering, characters started breathing, and a grand evolution occurred: words become worlds. ( )
1 vote crunchymunchkin | Apr 30, 2015 |
This is a book in a book.
If you saw the movie: Forget everything you know about it because the actual story has quite a different plot.
Bastian Balthasar Bux is chubby little kid who loves reading. As he steals The Neverending Story from an antiquariat bookshop he enters the world of Phantásien, feeling what the main character Atreju felt when he ventured on his journey to save Phantásien. He then literally enters the story and becomes part of it himself.
If you can, get yourself an edition of this book that has the text printed in two colours as this edition also includes the decorated first letters of each chapter. This is a story everyone should at least read once. :) ( )
  Sparrowlicious | Apr 13, 2015 |
This book is taking place through the reading of the human boy, Bastain. He has recently lost his mother and feels all alone in the world. He feels like he has a connection with the book while reading as well as the main character, Atreyu. Atreyu's mission is to find out how to save the Childlike Empress so she can save Fantastica from the Nothing that is swallowing it up. When Atreyu leaved to start his mission he has a horse that dies very early on. A little later he befriends a luck dragon that was caught in a spiders web. The luck dragon can fly and takes Atreyu on to find answers. The being with the answers he's seeking is known as the Southern Oracle. He has to pass through 3 very special gates to be able to reach the oracle. When he gets there he discovers the oracle is only a voice, and it can only hear him if he speaks in rhyme. His answer is clear, the Childlike Empress needs a new name and only a human can give it to her. Atreyu sets off with his luck dragon to try to reach the world with humans but it is no use because Fantastica has no boundaries. Bastain is the key to saving Fantasica and it is him reading the book and getting involved in the adventures that allows him to live his dreams and save the Childlike Empress. I thought this book was great. It's a great way to open up the imagination by having a human side and a story side.
Classroom extension: Have 2-4 students draw a picture of one of the characters from the story and compare their imaginative artwork when presenting them all to the class. Or, have the students in groups of two think up 2-4 questions/answers for each other and talk in rhyme. ( )
  emedwards | Mar 22, 2015 |
I loved the movie and I love the book. P.S. The book has a lot more than the movie does. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 18, 2015 |

Ende, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Basoli, AntonioIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manheim, RalphTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nieuwenhuizen, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pandolfi, AminaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadflieg, RoswithaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This inscription could be seen on the glass door of a small shop, but naturally this was only the way it looked if you were inside the dimly lit shop, looking out at the street through the plateglass door.

Small and insignificant Bastian Balthazar Bux is nobody's idea of a hero, least of all his own. Then, through the pages of an ancient, mysterious book, he discovers the enchanted world of Fantastica, and only Bastian himself can save the fairy people who live there.

AR Level 5.9, 18 pts

Shy, awkward Bastian is amazed to discover that he has become a character in the mysterious book he is reading and that he has an important mission to fulfill.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140074317, 0140317937

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,094,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible