The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

The Neverending Story (original 1985; edition 1997)

by Michael Ende, Ralph Manheim (Translator)

Member:tweezle
Title:The Neverending Story
Authors:Michael Ende
Other authors:Ralph Manheim (Translator)
Info:Dutton Juvenile (1997), Edition: Revised, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (1985)

Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (Bitter_Grace)
    The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another story about young boys in a fantastical realm which is influenced by their imaginings.
    The Book of Lost Things: A Novel by John Connolly (sibyllacumaea)
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its science fiction counterpart
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    Brave Story (Novel-Paperback) by Miyuki Miyabe (lampbane)
    lampbane: Employs a similar theme of a child adventuring through a world created by the hearts and imaginations of people.
    Harry Potter Box Set (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling (Anonymous user)
    The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (GoST)
    Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers (grizzly.anderson)
    Jane's Adventures In and Out of the Book by Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy (bookel)
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Anjali.Negi)
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (Cecrow)
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (infiniteletters)
    The Pagemaster by David Kirschner (infiniteletters)
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (thiagop)
    La bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Tout comme dans La Bibliothécaire, le héros de l'Histoire sans fin plonge littéralement dans un livre.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Beorn_se_Bacaire: Walter Moer's Zamonian series has a similar sense of wimsy as The Neverending Story.
    Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien by Steve Hillard (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books deal with characters interacting with characters within the books they're reading.

English (147)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (163)
I loved this movie growing up, and still have a spot for it as an adult. I think because the movie storyline is so set in my mind, I actually like it better. So much more happens in the book. The book doesn't end where the movie does. When the book continued on, it felt like the mood changed to become more aimed toward an older audience in my opinion. I would compare it to how [b: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe|100915|The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1353029077s/100915.jpg|4790821] had a really storybook feel and how [b: The Magician's Nephew|65605|The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1308814770s/65605.jpg|1031537] and others of the series had a what was this guy smoking vibe Haha.
I enjoyed it very much, and I'm very glad I took the time to read something so monumental to several generations. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
A childhood favourite of mine! This story is about a lonely boy named Bastien, who escapes into a fantasy world with the help of a special book he's stolen. In the land of Fantásia, Bastien meets the Child Emperess who's in need of his aid in order to save her world. He's granted wishes in his quest fighting the "nothingness" that's devouring the land, but with every wish, Bastien looses a memory from his "real" life ´. The story is thus not only about saving Fantásia, but also himself, and the memories of his loved ones.

This book is pure adventure for everyone. Still as an adult, I enjoy it! There's magic, laughter, sadness, some horror. Still, I love the fact that it's a serious story underneath that adventurous facade. A story about a sad, lonely boy with no mother and no friends, one who's desperatly in need for a world of fantasy. And fantasy finds him. ( )
  AnnieMi | Sep 7, 2016 |
Like most of my generation, I grew up watching the film adaptation of The Neverending Story. I watched it until it was seared into my memory -- and probably into my mother’s -- and wanted a trip to Fantastica and a Falkor of my very own. Somehow, though, I never read the book.

The other day I plucked it off the shelf on a whim. Sometimes when I read a book after seeing the film or television adaptation, I don’t visualise the adaptation at all, my mental landscape stays composed of my own original images. In this case, I had the characters and the lands from the film in mind, and I think I benefitted from that, because the Fantastica on the screen seems more alive than the Fantastica on the page.

The first half of the book corresponds to the first film, and it is definitely the most powerful part of the story. It has the resonance of fable wrapped up in a beautiful adventure. It’s about the importance of fantasy and imagination to the well-being of the human mind. It’s about the importance of courage, and the fact that bravery doesn’t always look the way we expect it to, that there are different ways to be brave. It’s about grief, and the ways we retreat from it. It’s about identity, about letting go of the old and not fearing the new, about the rebirth and renewal that usually, somehow, comes in the wake of a loss. And it’s about how those things are simple but not easy, and it trusts children to understand them without being heavy-handed.

On the strengths of that first half, I would gladly call it one of the best children’s books of all time. The second half, however, has important things to say too, but it goes about saying them in a much more muddled fashion. At its best, it’s a counterpoint to part one, the dark serpent to the first half’s light. It’s there to remind us that fantasy is there to give wings to who we really are, not to escape from ourselves, that the courage we’ve always dreamed of cannot really exist in the fearless. It’s there to remind us, when we recreate ourselves, not to lose ourselves. It’s there to remind us that grief is something we can come back from.

But it’s also hampered by a terribly plodding pace, a character who cannot be externally challenged by anything and takes too long to face up to the challenge going on inside. The loss of the dual narrative from the first part of the book is also a hindrance, because Bastian isn’t really likeable in this state -- and no, he’s not meant to be -- but the concurrent sidelining of Atreyu and Falkor leaves little in the way of protagonists to relate to for some pages at a time. If you reach the end of the book, you see how the two halves were meant to balance and complement each other, and how the second half strengthens and builds on the themes of the first. It’s just concerning that a lot of children might not get to that point because of the chapters where it commits the cardinal sin for a children’s book: Being boring.

For those of us feigning adulthood in our outward lives, however, it’s one of those stories that is just ageless and timeless, especially if you’re part of the generation for whom the film versions of these characters are so iconic. I think for younger readers this is the sort of book that would ideally be read to them by a parent, for its storybook tone and to help pass the plodding but not pointless second half in a more entertaining fashion, and so that the love of these memorable characters can be shared between generations.

Review from Bookette.net ( )
1 vote Snumpus | Aug 10, 2016 |
Well, having now read the book, I def. don't remember seeing the movie. ?Not excited to, either. ?áNot exceptionally thrilled with the book, either. ?áI mean, I get that it was a smart adventure, with some themes to think about. ?áBut I just never felt vested in it.?á For one thing, in the attack on the Ivory Tower, lots of people lost their lives... just to put Bastion on the way to eventually learning a lesson... that he didn't fully learn anyway. Just curious, those of you reading on e-reader or mm pb, do you have the green vs. purple text? And what's up with the gimmick of the 26 chapters, one for each letter of the alphabet? Maybe I'd have enjoyed this more when I was, say, 12.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Manheim, RalphTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nieuwenhuizen, Johan vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pandolfi, AminaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadflieg, RoswithaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This inscription could be seen on the glass door of a small shop, but naturally this was only the way it looked if you were inside the dimly lit shop, looking out at the street through the plateglass door.

Small and insignificant Bastian Balthazar Bux is nobody's idea of a hero, least of all his own. Then, through the pages of an ancient, mysterious book, he discovers the enchanted world of Fantastica, and only Bastian himself can save the fairy people who live there.

AR Level 5.9, 18 pts

Shy, awkward Bastian is amazed to discover that he has become a character in the mysterious book he is reading and that he has an important mission to fulfill.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140074317, 0140317937

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,301,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible