The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

The Neverending Story (original 1985; edition 1997)

by Michael Ende, Ralph Manheim (Translator)

Member:tweezle
Title:The Neverending Story
Authors:Michael Ende
Other authors:Ralph Manheim (Translator)
Info:
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (1985)

The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Another story about young boys in a fantastical realm which is influenced by their imaginings.
    Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (Bitter_Grace)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (sibyllacumaea)
    The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its science fiction counterpart
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a book with another fantasy world
    Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers (grizzly.anderson)
    The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder (GoST)
    Harry Potter Box Set (Books 1-7) by J. K. Rowling (Anonymous user)
    Jane's Adventures in and out of the Book by Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy (bookel)
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (thiagop)
    The Pagemaster by David Kirschner (infiniteletters)
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (infiniteletters)
    Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe (lampbane)
    lampbane: Employs a similar theme of a child adventuring through a world created by the hearts and imaginations of people.
    La Bibliothécaire by Anne Duguël (Medicinos)
    Medicinos: Tout comme dans La Bibliothécaire, le héros de l'Histoire sans fin plonge littéralement dans un livre.
    Mirkwood: A Novel About JRR Tolkien by Steve Hillard (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books deal with characters interacting with characters within the books they're reading.
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Beorn_se_Bacaire: Walter Moer's Zamonian series has a similar sense of wimsy as The Neverending Story.
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)

English (124)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (138)
The Neverending Story is great. If you love reading, and are ever sad when you get to the end, this book is for you. ( )
  Ambo_O | Oct 21, 2014 |
I've had this in my to-read pile for years. The movie is a childhood favorite of mine. Finally, I decided to rad through on an airplane trip. I downed most of it in one sitting.

The most noteworthy thing is that the movie's script only uses about the first 200 pages of the book, so less than half. The screen version is fairly faithful to it. Now, here's the thing: I could never stomach more than a few minutes of the sequel movie. The vibe of it just felt WRONG to me, like it shattered the beautiful dream of the first movie. The latter part of the book felt the same way to me—maybe it's a faithful adaptation, too? I can't say. Bastian in Fantastica just feels weird, and he becomes a worse and worse person on his journey, which is annoying. I found myself skimming more as I was anxious to finish the book and move on.

I think if I read this as a kid, it might have even turned me off of the movie that I loved. Tainted it somehow because of the full plot arc. So I'm glad I read this when I was older, but it's definitely a book that is going back in the trade-in pile. ( )
  ladycato | Aug 1, 2014 |
Bastian is an unhappy little boy. His mother is dead and his father has been emotionally distant ever since the tragedy, to the point where young Bastian believes the man would not even notice if Bastian disappeared. He is picked on at school for being a wimp, and he gets bad grades because he's always daydreaming.

The one and only thing Bastian is good at it is his imagination - he's always reading or creating new fantasy worlds and stories of his own. When he steals a beautiful old silk-bound book with two snakes on the cover, one light and one dark, he has found the perfect book for him - the Neverending Story.

The world of Fantastica is in danger, being eaten away by the Nothing and the divine Childlike Empress is deathly ill. If she dies, all of Fantastica will perish with her, but if she lives Fantastica will be saved. She sends for Atreyu of the Grass People and everyone believes he must surely be a fabulous warrior, but he is just a young boy, like Bastian.

Atreyu is entrusted with the magical pendant the A U R Y N - or the glory - a symbol of the Childlike Empress - and sent on a quest to discover the cure for her illness. Along the way he befriends a luck dragon named Falkor, passes through three gates to speak to the Southern Oracle, a singing voice, witnesses a battle between elemental giants, is lost on an abandoned island of the vampires and attacked by a werewolf!

Atreyu's fantastic adventures are all in the hopes of getting Bastian, the human boy reading the book, involved in the adventure, because only a human can give the Childlike Empress a new name and save Fantastica. In the second half of the novel, Bastian finds himself trapped in Fantastic. For him, the A U R Y N grants wishes and the inscription Do What You Wish appears on the back.

However, wishes are tricky things, often more subconscious than conscious and always with a price. Bastian's travels around Fantastica - in which he gets to be everything he always wanted - handsome, strong, wise - are a powerful meditation on identity and love and how we often bury our own deepest wishes so that we don't even know them.

The Neverending Story enchanted me from start to finish. Beautifully written, with fantastic worlds and creatures, it put me in mind of L Frank Baum's Oz books and Lewis Carroll's Alice books. But even more than that, it's a great, almost meta, commentary on the importance of books, stories and imagination as well as a thoughtful examination of identity, human desires and the power of love for your family.

The most haunting part for me, though, was the The City of the Old Emperors for the chilling implications of what has happened to Bastian's predecessors, humans who stumbled into Fantastica.

One of the BEST books I have ever read. ( )
2 vote catfantastic | Jun 29, 2014 |
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 3 stars

So I ran across this hiding in my TBR paper shelf. I'd somehow never read it as a child, but I remember being amazed by the movie in the way only a fat, nerdy kid could be: I could be Bastian, if I were lucky enough to get this book. I still recognize the appeal, as an adult, but I also see the more complex layer of morality over it, especially in the second half. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
synopsis

Bastian, a chubby, bullied, motherless boy hides in the school attic after stealing a mysterious book from a shopkeeper. As he begins to read The Neverending Story, the boarders between the real world and Fantasia begin to fade. Only he can save The Childlike Empress by giving her a new name.

review

As a child, I watched the movie endlessly, but I didn't even know it was adapted from a book until a couple of years ago. A lot more happened in this novel than I realized, and at times, I was overwhelmed with the giant cast of characters. At least at the end of the chapters when a character was no longer evolved the line was, “But that is another story, and shall be told at another time." I thought that was a cute touch.

The hardback is beautiful, by the way, with green and red font to separate Fantasia from "the real world", and nice illustrations at the start of each chapter. It would be a beautiful book to hand down through generations. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |

Ende, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Basoli, AntonioIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manheim, RalphTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pandolfi, AminaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadflieg, RoswithaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This inscription could be seen on the glass door of a small shop, but naturally this was only the way it looked if you were inside the dimly lit shop, looking out at the street through the plateglass door.

Small and insignificant Bastian Balthazar Bux is nobody's idea of a hero, least of all his own. Then, through the pages of an ancient, mysterious book, he discovers the enchanted world of Fantastica, and only Bastian himself can save the fairy people who live there.

AR Level 5.9, 18 pts

Shy, awkward Bastian is amazed to discover that he has become a character in the mysterious book he is reading and that he has an important mission to fulfill.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140074317, 0140317937

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,412,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible