Digital Painting Techniques, Vol. 3 by Robh…

Digital Painting Techniques, Vol. 3

by Robh Ruppel

As a coffee table book showcasing fantastic digital artwork, this is wonderful. As a book about the process of creation, there is quite a bit of variation, which is inevitable given 21 different contributors. Some are more willing than others to let everyone behind the scenes, but a goodly proportion of them show polished images in every screenshot. I know my digital paintings don't look great at every step -- they look absolutely rubbish until they suddenly don't -- is that just me, then?

It seems most of the contributors to this book have background in the gaming industry. There's a lot of SFF type art, but I would have preferred a wider variety of styles -- some more painterly than photo-realistic.

Turning to the back of the book, it jumped out at me that only 2 out of the 21 tutorial artists are female, and only 1out of 18 of the gallery artists. I wonder if this is a reflection of the typical gender balance in digital art, or if the publishers didn't aim for diversity -- in style rather than in gender, I mean, but I suspect one influenced the other. ( )
  LynleyS | Feb 8, 2014 |

Digital Painting Techniques: Volume 3 presents another collection of inspiring and motivational tutorials for artists of all levels. A range of top professionals share the benefits of their experience in the digital art industry and offer tips, tricks, and advice intended to help the next generation of artists reach new heights.

The chapters contained within this book are wide-ranging and comprehensive. Robh Ruppel and Ignacio Bazan Lazcano tackle the subject of futuristic cities, Thomas Pringle and Craig Sellars look at creating concept art for games, and Peter Swigut rounds things off by covering matte painting. Their in-depth tutorials are rich in advice about how to improve workflows and produce portfolio-worthy artwork, making Digital Painting Techniques: Volume 3 an essential resource for any digital artist.

Chee Ming Wong is the director of Opus Artz Ltd, and has over ten years of creative visualization and industrial design experience.

Robh Ruppel designs for video games, feature films, and publishing, and has worked on titles including the critically acclaimed Uncharted 2.

Ignacio Bazan Lazcano is an illustrator and concept artist at TimeGate Studios, Argentina, and has been working in the games industry for four years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,436,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible