Gone West by Carola Dunn

English (8)  Piratical (1)  All (9)
I didn't like this book as much as I liked most of the other books in the Daisy Dalrymple series. It seemed slower, the characters weren't as interesting, and the dialog didn't have the same snap, crackle and pop. Perhaps It was because Daisy and Alec were separate fpr most of the book or maybe because the supporting cast and stodgy environment was just more dull. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Aug 27, 2015 |
The 2nd I've read in this long series and as the 1st one was read 14 years ago I didn't remember any of the characters. Liked this book, a cozy is what I needed to read at this time so the timing was right. Like another reviewer said, grew tired of Daisy repeating things but oh well. ( )
  Mooose | Sep 5, 2014 |
"Fresh Meat" by Victoria Janssen for Criminal Element.

Gone West, twentieth in the Daisy Dalrymple series by Carola Dunn, is set in 1926. As this is the first in the series I’ve read, I can safely say it can be enjoyed even if you’ve never tried the series before.

Daisy, though the daughter of a viscount, is not wealthy, so works as a writer of magazine articles and coffee table books. She is married to a Scotland Yard detective named Alec Fletcher, who also takes part in the story once the inevitable murder occurs.

What I particularly liked about this book is that, aside from the mystery plot, it gave a picture of England, eight years after the end of World War One, in which the effects of that war were still being felt in many levels of society. I especially liked how Dunn focused on how the war had affected women.

(Read the rest at http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2012/01/fresh-meat-gone-west-by-carola-dunn )
  CrimeHQ | Apr 11, 2013 |
I guessed the big secrets. And, despite the rather insensitive title, it has nothing whatever to do with the war. ( )
  picardyrose | Mar 11, 2013 |
I got really tired of remarks about how much Daisy does or does not, effectively or ineffectively, meddle in her husband's cases. Not as clue conscious as actual Golden Age stories.
  ritaer | Jul 11, 2012 |
To all my fellow authors, and to the readers
whose appreciation keeps us going
The approach was not inviting.

In September 1926, the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher visits Sybil Sutherby, a school friend now living in Derbyshire as the confidential secretary to a novelist. Suspecting that something is seriously amiss, Sybil has asked Daisy to discretely investigate. Upon arrival, Daisy finds a household of relatives and would-be suitors living off the hospitality of Humphrey Birtwhistle, who had been supporting them through his thrice-yearly, pseudonymous Westerns. When he took ill, though, Sybil
took over writing them while he recovered, only to see the sales increase. Now, she fears that someone in the household is poisoning Birtwhistle to keep him ill and Sybil writing the better-paying versions. But before Daisy can even get decently underway, Humphrey Birtwhistle dies under suspicious circumstances and Daisy now faces a death to untangle, a house full of suspects and a Scotland Yard detective husband who is less than pleased at this turn of events.
[retrieved from Amazon 1/16/2012]

Visiting a friend in 1926 Derbyshire, Daisy learns that her friend has been ghost-writing a popular novelist's most recent, and more successful, works while the novelist succumbs to a suspicious illness, compelling Daisy to investigate other members of his household.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Carola Dunn's book Gone West was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,450,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible