West by West: My Charmed, Tormented Life by…

West by West: My Charmed, Tormented Life (2011)

by Jerry West

Other authors: Jonathan Coleman

I liked this book a lot. It seemed disjointed at times but I felt a certain kinship with West's weirdness. I regret I didn't get to see him play but I feel blessed that he stayed in the game and helped create the great basketball I grew up with (Lakers vs. Celtics of the 80's). I am happy he has found peace but I know it must be something he struggles with everyday. A very courageous and sad memoir of a very unique individual. ( )
  Charlie-Ravioli | Jan 18, 2016 |
Convoluted....He just kept going all over the place. Not well done which was disappointing since I was looking forward to reading it. ( )
  carolvanbrocklin | Nov 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've probably read at least 100 sports biographies (if not more) and this autobiography of legendary NBA player, coach, and general manager, Jerry West, is among the best. Be forewarned: It starts out slowly and tends to bounce around, topically and chronologically somewhat but, overall, it's excellent.

His insights to his teammates and opponents, during his playing career with the Lakers and with his coaching and GM duties, were to be expected. If West didn't comment on someone NBA-related during the past 60 years, they're probably not worth commenting on. If you're a basketball fan, you'll probably love this book.

Almost more interesting to me, however, is that West is a man with hidden depths, one who seems to have it all, yet one who battles his demons. Physically abused by his father while growing up in West Virginia, West had no love in his life. Normal human interactions were tough for him. He's suffered through depression.

This is a book I'd highly recommend to any sports fan. ( )
  lindapanzo | Jun 13, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ok, so I have been trying to get into this book for months. I am a big basketball fan, and I knew of Jerry West before starting this book, but only as a basketball player. The book starts off alright, with West describing the small town he grew up in, the pressure to get out of the small town, and the pressure from a family life that was not exactly wonderful all contributing to his basketball dreams. I found it somewhat repetitive, with his stories of a father that was not good, and the expectations put on him hard. As he started talking more about basketball it got a little more interesting, but then he kind of got boring, and I kept putting it down to find other things to do. I am about halfway through the book now, and I am having trouble finishing it. It is not holding my interest, I am not sure what the reason is, as I know enough about the inner workings of the sport to not be lost. I think that the storytelling is just not electric enough to hold my interest. I guess I would only recommend this to a really true die hard Lakers fan, or someone that idolized Jerry West. To the average fan, it's not that great a read. I think that I may try to finish it, but for now, this is all I can say.
  musicsavesme | Feb 22, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved this book. I learned much about basketball, Jerry West and coping with loss, depression and life in general. Great read! ( )
  dpelaez | Jan 19, 2012 |

Jerry Westprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coleman, Jonathansecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031605349X, Hardcover)

He is one of basketball's towering figures: "Mr. Clutch," who mesmerized his opponents and fans. The coach who began the Lakers' resurgence in the 1970s. The general manager who helped bring "Showtime" to Los Angeles, creating a championship-winning force that continues to this day.

Now, for the first time, the legendary Jerry West tells his story-from his tough childhood in West Virginia, to his unbelievable college success at West Virginia University, his 40-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers, and his relationships with NBA legends like Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Shaquille O'Neal, and Kobe Bryant. Unsparing in its self-assessment and honesty, WEST BY WEST is far more than a sports memoir: it is a profound confession and a magnificent inspiration.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:04 -0400)

The coach responsible for the success of the Lakers for the past forty years describes his difficult childhood, being a star player at West Virginia University, his career, and his relationships with sports legends.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jerry West's book West by West was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible