Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother…

Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French… (2012)

by Pamela Druckerman

English (30)  French (1)  All languages (31)
I was surprised I liked this as much as I did. I read about it in a New Yorker article and put it on hold at the library pretty much to scoff at. And yes, I find it breathtakingly stupid to become a parent, watch your 10-month-old flinging books off a shelf, and not do anything about it because she's a baby, that's what babies do, babies don't know any better, and she certainly wouldn't understand if you tried to explain (or STOP HER). Ouch.

Certain kinds of stupid must flow uphill. That anecdote was, after all, related by and about a woman who discussed her response to being laid off purely in terms of how she felt about it. There was never the slightest chance that she'd actually be left in the lurch financially by such an event. Druckerman makes the occasional reference to knowing she's relatively well-off, but she doesn't seem to understand how people on Planet Normal live. Losing a job here might actually lose us an apartment that isn't nearly as nice as hers.

But I digress. When I could get past the tone of unconscious privilege, her reporting on French culture and parenting was thoroughly engaging. She doesn't spend the whole time trashing Americans or worshiping the French -- she has a very balanced response to both, which I appreciated.

Yes, it's a little duh. Wow -- you mean if you don't give your child junk food all the time, she won't expect it and might even end up disliking it, because she understands what real food tastes like? If you put reasonable limits on sweets but don't make a big deal about them, your child might follow suit? Eating chocolate on a regular basis is the key to happiness regardless of age?

Okay -- THAT one was worth seeing in print.

Read it. It'll take you an hour, and you'll spend several of those minutes laughing. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
I was curious about the buzz this one received and since I’m pregnant, it seemed to be the perfect time to check it out. I went into it assuming that Druckerman’s argument would be that everything French is better. I was prepared to take that with a grain of salt and move on. Instead I discovered that, although she was living in Paris, she wasn’t a huge fan of France or the French. That being said, she was in awe of French parenting and the seemingly effortless success they had raising their children.

Druckerman approaches the whole subject as a journalist, not as a mother desperate to figure out what works. I appreciated her factual approach. She included anecdotes about her own experiences, but relied more heavily on what she learned from other French mothers. I thought it was fascinating to learn what cultural differences are ingrained in French and American parents, respectively.

There is plenty that I know wouldn’t work with my particular style. The sheer pressure put on women to look perfect as quickly as possible after giving birth is a bit overwhelming, but there were plenty of other things to learn from. I loved seeing how the day cares in France, called a crèche, work. Where American day cares have a negative stigma attached, crèches are the opposite.

BOTTOM LINE: Interesting and informative. There are a few parenting styles that I hope I’ll keep in mind as I attempt to find what works best for my family. I particularly liked the French approach to encouraging your kids to eat a wide variety of food and sleeping through the night as early as possible. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jul 27, 2015 |
Rather than having many sets of competing and conflicting (and anxiety-inducing) parenting philosophies like in the U.S., parents in France seem to take a few basic things for granted. One of these things is that babies are people who are capable of learning things; another is that the baby must fit into the family, not be the center of it, so that adults still have "adult time." French parents also believe in the importance of teaching their kids to cope with frustration by having to wait for things; ultimately, this makes them "calmer and more resilient."

There is the idea of the "cadre," a strict framework within which children have a lot of freedom. Parents consider themselves to be teachers rather than police, and there is a word - "betise" - for minor acts of naughtiness that may be corrected but aren't deserving of punishment. French parents aim for "l'equilibre" (balance) but don't subsume their identities in their children, or feel as guilty as some American parents (particularly moms) do for working or taking time for themselves.

The chapters about sleeping and food provide an excellent guide that American parents can use just as well as French ones. The chapters about day care are less applicable, as there is no system in the U.S. that compares to the French creche (except the American military day care system). The U.S. doesn't even have a national standard for day care. Druckerman writes, "France has less feminist rhetoric, but it has many more institutions that enable women to work." ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 16, 2015 |
I love the title of the British edition of this book: French Children Don't Throw Food (I would guess that's a tip of the hat to Mireille Guilliano's French Women Don't Get Fat).

While my parenting days are long behind me, I applaud the sensible French who don't let Little Napoleon run the house, run his parents ragged, and make all innocent bystanders smile through gritted teeth while looking for the nearest, quickest escape hatch.

I don't have much in common with Pamela Druckerman, but enjoyed her self-deprecating writing style. Some people have criticized her for writing only about upper-middle-class parents in Paris, who may not be typical of the majority of French parents, but that's the milieu Druckerman was living in, so I won't quibble with that.

An interesting read, and some young parents or parents-to-be would undoubtedly pick up some good tips they could put into practice. ( )
  booksandscones | Apr 2, 2015 |
I think this book is more about cultural shock than about parenting. You will learn a few things about parenting, especially if you're not French, but mostly about cultural differences. Funny and witty (occasionally trying too hard). The passages on her first birth and "perineal re-education" got me laughing out loud. Worth reading, but not more than once. ( )
  ftorralba | Oct 8, 2014 |
Much of the so-called French child rearing wisdom compiled here is obvious. ... Ms. Druckerman is oddly unjournalistic here. "Bringing Up Bébé" is essentially a series of generalizations based on her American and French friends and her own experiences as a mother.

Les petits poissons dans l'eau
Nagent aussi bien que les gros.
The little fish in the water
Swim as well as the big ones do.

-- French children's song
For Simon,
who makes everything matter
When my daughter is eighteen months old, my husband and I decide to take her on a little summer holiday.

"The secret behind France's astonishingly well-behaved children. When American journalist Pamela Druckerman has a baby in Paris, she doesn't aspire to become a "French parent." French parenting isn't a known thing, like French fashion or French cheese. Even French parents themselves insist they aren't doing anything special. Yet, the French children Druckerman knows sleep through the night at two or three months old while those of her American friends take a year or more. French kids eat well-rounded meals that are more likely to include braised leeks than chicken nuggets. And while her American friends spend their visits resolving spats between their kids, her French friends sip coffee while the kids play. Motherhood itself is a whole different experience in France. There's no role model, as there is in America, for the harried new mom with no life of her own. French mothers assume that even good parents aren't at the constant service of their children and that there's no need to feel guilty about this.They have an easy, calm authority with their kids that Druckerman can only envy. Of course, French parenting wouldn't be worth talking about if it produced robotic, joyless children. In fact, French kids are just as boisterous, curious, and creative as Americans. They're just far better behaved and more in command of themselves. While some American toddlers are getting Mandarin tutors and preliteracy training, French kids are-by design-toddling around and discovering the world at their own pace. With a notebook stashed in her diaper bag, Druckerman-a former reporter for the Wall Street Journal sets out to learn the secrets to raising a society of good little sleepers, gourmet eaters, and reasonably relaxed parents. She discovers that French parents are extremely strict about some things and strikingly permissive about others. And she realizes that to be a different kind of parent, you don't just need a different parenting philosophy. You need a very different view of what a child actually is. While finding her own firm "non", Druckerman discovers that children-including her own-are capable of feats she'd never imagined."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,995,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible