Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother…

Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French… (2012)

by Pamela Druckerman

English (32)  French (1)  All languages (33)
Hmm. I liked this book the first time I read it. It is well researched, but made very readable by the fact that it tells the author's story - become a mother, and then a mother of 3 (having had twins) in Paris.

Initially I was convinced, feeling that French parents had it all worked out, and that we anglo-saxons were a bunch of losers for letting our children change/control our lives so much. Lately, however, having thought more about what I want to give my children, and having observed a number of French children, parents and young adults, I'm not sure that not throwing food is enough. ( )
  cjwatt | Nov 27, 2015 |
Fascinating read. Shows us that there is a better way to raise kids. If I ever have a child I need to reread this book! ( )
  Lilac_Lily01 | Oct 31, 2015 |
If the thought of parenting in modern America brings fear and anxiety to your life this is the book for you. New parents will reveal in knowing that there is another way, a simpler way and yes, a more manageable way of raising children that will eventually blossom into considerate, independent little beings. The French are certainly not perfect but they are a smaller nation with no interest in new parenting trends because there methods are tried and true. What is done in one part of the country is what you'll see in another. Not like here in the States where New York and California alone have slews of variations on parenting that frequently feel as if they are diametrically opposed to one another.

Druckerman calmly shares her parenting triumphs and fails with the world while taking heart that her three offspring have not been eternally damaged by what she didn't know. The take way is that kids thrive on structure but so do parents and that motherhood, though a big badge of honor, is not the only component of any woman's identity and to believe so is to lie to one's self.
  VictoriaBrodersen | Sep 22, 2015 |
I was surprised I liked this as much as I did. I read about it in a New Yorker article and put it on hold at the library pretty much to scoff at. And yes, I find it breathtakingly stupid to become a parent, watch your 10-month-old flinging books off a shelf, and not do anything about it because she's a baby, that's what babies do, babies don't know any better, and she certainly wouldn't understand if you tried to explain (or STOP HER). Ouch.

Certain kinds of stupid must flow uphill. That anecdote was, after all, related by and about a woman who discussed her response to being laid off purely in terms of how she felt about it. There was never the slightest chance that she'd actually be left in the lurch financially by such an event. Druckerman makes the occasional reference to knowing she's relatively well-off, but she doesn't seem to understand how people on Planet Normal live. Losing a job here might actually lose us an apartment that isn't nearly as nice as hers.

But I digress. When I could get past the tone of unconscious privilege, her reporting on French culture and parenting was thoroughly engaging. She doesn't spend the whole time trashing Americans or worshiping the French -- she has a very balanced response to both, which I appreciated.

Yes, it's a little duh. Wow -- you mean if you don't give your child junk food all the time, she won't expect it and might even end up disliking it, because she understands what real food tastes like? If you put reasonable limits on sweets but don't make a big deal about them, your child might follow suit? Eating chocolate on a regular basis is the key to happiness regardless of age?

Okay -- THAT one was worth seeing in print.

Read it. It'll take you an hour, and you'll spend several of those minutes laughing. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
I was curious about the buzz this one received and since I’m pregnant, it seemed to be the perfect time to check it out. I went into it assuming that Druckerman’s argument would be that everything French is better. I was prepared to take that with a grain of salt and move on. Instead I discovered that, although she was living in Paris, she wasn’t a huge fan of France or the French. That being said, she was in awe of French parenting and the seemingly effortless success they had raising their children.

Druckerman approaches the whole subject as a journalist, not as a mother desperate to figure out what works. I appreciated her factual approach. She included anecdotes about her own experiences, but relied more heavily on what she learned from other French mothers. I thought it was fascinating to learn what cultural differences are ingrained in French and American parents, respectively.

There is plenty that I know wouldn’t work with my particular style. The sheer pressure put on women to look perfect as quickly as possible after giving birth is a bit overwhelming, but there were plenty of other things to learn from. I loved seeing how the day cares in France, called a crèche, work. Where American day cares have a negative stigma attached, crèches are the opposite.

BOTTOM LINE: Interesting and informative. There are a few parenting styles that I hope I’ll keep in mind as I attempt to find what works best for my family. I particularly liked the French approach to encouraging your kids to eat a wide variety of food and sleeping through the night as early as possible. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jul 27, 2015 |
Much of the so-called French child rearing wisdom compiled here is obvious. ... Ms. Druckerman is oddly unjournalistic here. "Bringing Up Bébé" is essentially a series of generalizations based on her American and French friends and her own experiences as a mother.
Les petits poissons dans l'eau
Nagent aussi bien que les gros.
The little fish in the water
Swim as well as the big ones do.

-- French children's song
For Simon,
who makes everything matter
When my daughter is eighteen months old, my husband and I decide to take her on a little summer holiday.

"The secret behind France's astonishingly well-behaved children. When American journalist Pamela Druckerman has a baby in Paris, she doesn't aspire to become a "French parent." French parenting isn't a known thing, like French fashion or French cheese. Even French parents themselves insist they aren't doing anything special. Yet, the French children Druckerman knows sleep through the night at two or three months old while those of her American friends take a year or more. French kids eat well-rounded meals that are more likely to include braised leeks than chicken nuggets. And while her American friends spend their visits resolving spats between their kids, her French friends sip coffee while the kids play. Motherhood itself is a whole different experience in France. There's no role model, as there is in America, for the harried new mom with no life of her own. French mothers assume that even good parents aren't at the constant service of their children and that there's no need to feel guilty about this.They have an easy, calm authority with their kids that Druckerman can only envy. Of course, French parenting wouldn't be worth talking about if it produced robotic, joyless children. In fact, French kids are just as boisterous, curious, and creative as Americans. They're just far better behaved and more in command of themselves. While some American toddlers are getting Mandarin tutors and preliteracy training, French kids are-by design-toddling around and discovering the world at their own pace. With a notebook stashed in her diaper bag, Druckerman-a former reporter for the Wall Street Journal sets out to learn the secrets to raising a society of good little sleepers, gourmet eaters, and reasonably relaxed parents. She discovers that French parents are extremely strict about some things and strikingly permissive about others. And she realizes that to be a different kind of parent, you don't just need a different parenting philosophy. You need a very different view of what a child actually is. While finding her own firm "non", Druckerman discovers that children-including her own-are capable of feats she'd never imagined."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,870,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible