Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother…

Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French… (2012)

by Pamela Druckerman

English (35)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (37)
Picked this book to read even though my only child is already 22. ;)

When I read this I really thought she was on to something. Nowadays it feels like parents are slaves to their children. The children decide what they eat, what they buy, when they go to bed and if not they will have a temper tantrum.

Today I was on my bike and a mum passed by with a child of about 3 or 4 on the front of the bike, having a big tempter tantrum. Screaming hs lungs out. The bike was shaking and the mum looked embarrassed and only said in a sweet voice, now stop it. Of course the child did not listen. ;)

As i said before, I have a daughter of 22 and I am guilty of spoiling her. Soiling her because it made me feel good and not have a guilty conscience but I see now that best way to love a child is show them the boundaries.

I am going to tell my daughter to read this before she has babies.

Take a pause before you rush to your child for his or her every need. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
I agree with some of these book advices. It is also a nice summer reading. Some of the advices though, didn't make sense for me as a mother. Each mother educates in a different way and must see what makes sense for her and what doesn't. ( )
  Leticia.Toraci | Feb 10, 2016 |
Great book. I recommend it to my daughter who just had her first child. ( )
  bridgetann | Jan 14, 2016 |
Hmm. I liked this book the first time I read it. It is well researched, but made very readable by the fact that it tells the author's story - become a mother, and then a mother of 3 (having had twins) in Paris.

Initially I was convinced, feeling that French parents had it all worked out, and that we anglo-saxons were a bunch of losers for letting our children change/control our lives so much. Lately, however, having thought more about what I want to give my children, and having observed a number of French children, parents and young adults, I'm not sure that not throwing food is enough. ( )
  cjwatt | Nov 27, 2015 |
Fascinating read. Shows us that there is a better way to raise kids. If I ever have a child I need to reread this book! ( )
  Lilac_Lily01 | Oct 31, 2015 |
Much of the so-called French child rearing wisdom compiled here is obvious. ... Ms. Druckerman is oddly unjournalistic here. "Bringing Up Bébé" is essentially a series of generalizations based on her American and French friends and her own experiences as a mother.

Les petits poissons dans l'eau
Nagent aussi bien que les gros.
The little fish in the water
Swim as well as the big ones do.

-- French children's song
For Simon,
who makes everything matter
When my daughter is eighteen months old, my husband and I decide to take her on a little summer holiday.

"The secret behind France's astonishingly well-behaved children. When American journalist Pamela Druckerman has a baby in Paris, she doesn't aspire to become a "French parent." French parenting isn't a known thing, like French fashion or French cheese. Even French parents themselves insist they aren't doing anything special. Yet, the French children Druckerman knows sleep through the night at two or three months old while those of her American friends take a year or more. French kids eat well-rounded meals that are more likely to include braised leeks than chicken nuggets. And while her American friends spend their visits resolving spats between their kids, her French friends sip coffee while the kids play. Motherhood itself is a whole different experience in France. There's no role model, as there is in America, for the harried new mom with no life of her own. French mothers assume that even good parents aren't at the constant service of their children and that there's no need to feel guilty about this.They have an easy, calm authority with their kids that Druckerman can only envy. Of course, French parenting wouldn't be worth talking about if it produced robotic, joyless children. In fact, French kids are just as boisterous, curious, and creative as Americans. They're just far better behaved and more in command of themselves. While some American toddlers are getting Mandarin tutors and preliteracy training, French kids are-by design-toddling around and discovering the world at their own pace. With a notebook stashed in her diaper bag, Druckerman-a former reporter for the Wall Street Journal sets out to learn the secrets to raising a society of good little sleepers, gourmet eaters, and reasonably relaxed parents. She discovers that French parents are extremely strict about some things and strikingly permissive about others. And she realizes that to be a different kind of parent, you don't just need a different parenting philosophy. You need a very different view of what a child actually is. While finding her own firm "non", Druckerman discovers that children-including her own-are capable of feats she'd never imagined."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,809,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible