The Homesick Texan Cookbook by Lisa Fain

The Homesick Texan Cookbook

by Lisa Fain

The Homesick Texan has been one of my favorite food blogs for years. I started using it when I was still in Texas, but now that I've left, it's an absolutely wonderful resource for cooking like I'm back in the Homeland. Fain is a native Texan, so she knows how the food is supposed to taste and doesn't shy from wonderful TexMex or Mexican food or cut corners to make it easier or more-appealing to those who aren't used to the food.

Some of the recipes are from the blog, some are new, but so far I haven't had a problem with any of them. They are easy to follow and there are pictures (an absolute must).

If she writes anymore cookbooks, I will get them all. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |

If she writes anymore cookbooks, I will get them all. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
I was born and raised in Texas (Dallas) and these dishes are spot on. It's a big state, so there's variety, but The Homesick Texan covers most of it, possibly not enough coverage of the southeast portion-- like adaptations of deep south/Louisiana cooking. I enjoy the commentary on the recipes and have tried 5 recipes so far. They all worked well and ranged from pretty good to delicious. Some of the ingredients are not findable here in Northern California, and I imagine even fewer would be available farther north and east. The pictures are lovely. The best part is that the dishes presented are both downhome and upscale-- they are authentic, not just standard fancy dishes with chipotle added randomly, but they do not call for Velveeta in the queso, there's a nice mix of vegetable dishes along with the meats. I recommend this book to most people who can cook, like spicy food, and can get chiles. You don't have to be Texan to enjoy it. ( )
  technodiabla | Jan 2, 2012 |

"Stories and photographs that will both reconnect and introduce people to the joy of Texas, and 150 versatile recipes that highlight the state's rich food traditions, appropriate for both Texans and non-Texans alike"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,108,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible