The Humming Room by Ellen Potter

The Humming Room

by Ellen Potter

This book was very good. I read it in one day in fact. It was a remake of The Secret Garden set on an island off The Potomac in New York. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
One of my new fav books!!! ( )
  judybooklady | Jun 29, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this book. I thought it could be a unique take on one of my favorite children's books. I thought the author would use The Secret Garden as inspiration to tell a new and interesting story. But no, this book is, scene for scene, a perfect copy of The Secret Garden. The differences: it takes place in modern-day New York state, the character's names have changed, with the name changes the characters have become more one-dimensional, and finally instead of a moor we have the St. Lawrence River. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
I found myself really enjoying this novel. I loved the writing, the style and the obvious research that went into it. However, I feel that it was too similar to the original. It felt so much like the movie version! Fun read, but I'm still not sure. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
“Just doodads, little this-and-that’s I find at the dollar store. I leave them out for her. She wouldn’t take them if I gave them to her. Too proud.”

That quote above should give you a good and thorough idea of the character Roo’s personality. She is stubborn and strong willed. I see her as a little fearless survivor. The way she is described both physically and how she seems to come alive over the course of her stay on the island was well done. I love that it takes place in such a wonderful location – it adds more of a sense of isolation and loneliness to certain parts of the story. Now, Jack is mysterious and just as I imagined though I wish we could have gotten to know him more.

While I adored this short sweet story I felt that the line on the front “inspired by Secret Garden” should have read more like “a retelling of the Secret Garden”. Because of that line I had expected there to be more differences between the stories than there were. Yes, it was in a unique location and during a different time period but to me the plot lines were essentially the same.

I enjoyed the book and loved Ellen’s writing style and I have already ordered a copy of her book The Kneebone Boy which I am really looking forward to reading.
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |

Ellen Potterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are no road signs to mark the tiny village of Limpette.

Twelve-year-old orphan Roo Fanshaw is sent to live with an uncle she never knew in a largely uninhabited mansion on Cough Rock Island and discovers a wild river boy, an invalid cousin, and the mysteries of a hidden garden.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible