Supergirl Mixtapes by Meagan Brothers

Supergirl Mixtapes

by Meagan Brothers

Maria finally gets a chance to live in New York City with her mom, who left her dad a million years ago because Millcreek, South Carolina was stifling for her art. At first she's stuck in a stifling prep school but eventually she gets home schooled by Nina, a friend of both her mother's and grandmothers (shocking). She finally makes a (boy)friend and she thinks she's got a handle on things. Except her mom's never really around, she spends more time with Travis (mom's boyfriend) then mom and Mom's behavior is a little bipolar; ecstatic one minute, angry and annoyed the next.

I thought for sure this was going to go in an ugly Travis/Maria direction. While for a second it did, it didn't get as bad as I thought it would and it only stopped there on the way to much bigger issues. This is definitely one of those hard lessons of life books. Everyone gets caught in their little white lies but even still it's the bigger secrets that will break us. Vic (mom) is so easy to like and she seems like so much fun but she's so erratic and while I was expecting the bigger picture to be something different (like mental disorder) anyone with sense could see that something was wrong.

The setting of this book is back when I was in middle school. It was the tail end of grunge and punk. That nostalgia factor was nice. I haven't thought about making mix tapes in a million year but the music is definitely what tied this all together for me. I would have loved specific lists for each of the mix tapes although lots of teens today barely have a clue who Kurt Cobain was so I can see why it wasn't included. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
I'm not sure I'm ready for 90s nostalgia but this was really good. full review to come. ( )
  suziannabean | Apr 2, 2013 |

In Meagan Brothers's Supergirl Mixtapes, a music-obsessed girl travels to New York City to find herself.

After years of boredom in her rural South Carolina town, Maria is thrilled when her father finally allows her to visit her estranged artist mother in New York City. She’s ready for adventure, and she soon finds herself immersed in a world of rock music and busy streets, where new people and ideas lie around every concrete corner. This is the freedom she’s always longed for—and she pushes for as much as she can get, skipping school to roam the streets, visit fancy museums, and flirt with the cute clerk at a downtown record store.

But just like her beloved New York City, Maria’s life has a darker side. Behind her mother’s carefree existence are shadowy secrets, and Maria must decide just where—and with whom—her loyalty lies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:44 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Maria leaves her father and grandmother in Red Hill, South Carolina, to live with her mother, an artist who lives with her young boyfriend in a tiny apartment in Manhattan's Lower East Side.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible