You Can't Have My Planet: But Take My…

You Can't Have My Planet: But Take My Brother, Please

by James Mihaley

2011 (1) 2012 (1) 6th (1) ADL12 (1) aliens (2) ARC (1) CF (1) children's (1) Cook12 (1) environment (1) fall13 (1) fantasy (1) fiction (1) funny (1) Galley11 (1) humorous (1) juvenile (1) middle grades (1) MS/HS (1) review (1) science fiction (3) siblings (1) SLJ (1) space (1) YA (1) youth (1)

Giles is stuck as the middle child of his family between his bright older brother Bobby, and his amazing musician of a sister Nikki. When all of a sudden aliens show up from the horrible plant Desoleen to take over the Earth, Giles is granted the task of having to clean up all of New York City's graffiti and litter by the Halls of Universal Justice.With help of Tula the alien lawyer, and three other people of his choice, Giles sets out to complete his given task which they have only given him 24 hours to complete. Giles chooses Bobby, his friend Toshi, Dr. Sprinkles, and Neveda who is only given hints about what is going on. Using alien technology from Dr. Sprinkles such as robots called 'Big Daddy" and "Flybots" Giles and Toshi set out to clean New York together. Of course they will reach obstacles to sabotage their plans because Princess Petulance wants to leave Desoleen and finally move to our planet. There will be traveling to the unknown planets of outer space, and even parties with alien! With all the help from friends and aliens, they know they will succeed.

I honestly LOVE THIS BOOK! I love how most of the characters are my age and that makes it easier to have a connection to the characters problems. My favorite character is Giles of course cause he is super funny, and he just makes the book the reason it deserves five stars! I love the adventures they go on to the different planets and all the alien characters they meet along the way. This book has a very original plot and a very original title (another reason why it has five stars). I am not sure if this book is a continuing series, but if it is I know I am definitely finishing to series! I like how descriptive the details are for the littlest things, like the flybots! One thing I would wish was i the next book was more of Tula's POV. That was what kept me wondering the whole book. In conclusion I just loved this book, I recommend it! ( )
  IssyM.B4 | Oct 22, 2013 |
Cute science fiction story about a kid who is forced to clean up the NYC so earth can be changed. ( )
  brangwinn | Dec 17, 2012 |
Giles feels invisible between his perfect older brother and prodigy younger sister. He's still hurt that his brother grew up without him and seems to think his grades are more important than their tree house business. Then the aliens show up and suddenly Giles is the only one who can save the human race from eviction! Can Giles finally get something right?

There are three main themes to this book; cutesy/creepy robots and aliens (definitely below the Pilkey line), Giles' obsession with having a girlfriend and getting kissed (very middle school) and "if all the kids just work together they can clean up the city and save the environment). It's also 243 pages long.

There's not a lot of science fiction for kids out there, so I was frustrated by this book. It had a lot of promise and good stuff going on. The "humans have destroyed the planet" plotline was cliched, but the being evicted spin was funny and fresh. The robots and aliens would have made a good younger chapter book, although they lacked the depth of, say, Pamela Service's Alien Agent series. The middle school/feeling like a loser plotline was good, but didn't mesh well with the other parts of the book.

Verdict: Funny and has interesting ideas, but too long and scattered for my audience. The older kids who would be interested in the girlfriend part will roll their eyes at the robot/alien line and the younger kids will be discouraged by the length and uninterested in the girlfriend line. Split it into three books and I'd buy them all!

ISBN: 9780312618919; Published 2012 by Feiwel; Borrowed from the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jul 2, 2012 |
Giles is a middle child sandwiched between an extremely bright older brother and a musical prodigy younger sister. He feels like the overlooked part of the sandwich. His skills are tree climbing and poetry writing. But it is Giles who discovers a plot in which aliens are trying to sell the Earth and evict all the humans to a planet that is a wasteland. This ordinary boy has to step up and save the Earth.

But Giles isn't alone. He can invite three other children to help him. He has to invite his best friend Toshi because that is just what you do. You invite your best friend. He invites his younger sister to be part of the quest. Then he has to decide between his goody-goody but very bright brother or his friend Navida who is an environmentalist and blogger. He does choose his brother Bobby but Navida has enough hints that she is able to help too.

Giles also has the help of his lawyer at the Halls of Universal Justice. She is blue, has cotton candy hair, is just about his age, and is a very busy and responsible lawyer. Her name is Tula and she has lots of access to wonderful alien gadgets to help in Giles' quest. Did I mention that he had just 24 hours to clean up the island of Manhattan by removing all the litter and graffiti.

This was a cute, well-written story about the power of ordinary kids. It had the sort of humor that will appeal to many middle graders. Giles is a good hero but not a perfect one. He gets sidetracked and sometimes I gets a little obsessed with being a superhero. He is jealous of his older brother but a loving protector of his newly-widowed grandmother.

The wonderfully unique alien characters add a lot of interest and excitement to the story. I will admit that one of my favorites was the traffic meter named Stanley who seemed less than useful but really came through in the end.

This is fun science fiction for middle graders. I recommend it. ( )
1 vote kmartin802 | Mar 31, 2012 |

Thirteen-year-old Giles, a New York City boy who feels invisible next to his talented younger sister and smart older brother, comes to the rescue when space aliens from an intergalactic realty company arrive and try to evict humans for polluting the world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,398,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible