We March by Shane W. Evans

We March

by Shane W. Evans

"We March," by Shane Evans was a great book because it was so subtle. It allowed the reader to have their own emotion, instead of setting the tone. All of the pages were just a few words, maybe a sentence. This was during the time when Martin Luther King Jr. gave his "I have a dream" speech. It showed how all of the people gathered and supported him. This book was different from the other book I chose about him, because this book talks about the time in his life when he wanted to make a difference in the world. He wanted better for the world. So he made a speech and delivered it to the thousands of people he had supporting him. ( )
  eburlette | Oct 20, 2017 |
This book gave me the chills at the end. It was about a community of dreamers marching for freedom and justice. They woke up super early and worked together and marched all day and though they are hot and weary, they were filled with hope. At the end of the book, the author writes about the 250,000 people that showed up to our nation's capital to march for freedom and where Martin Luther King Jr. gave his famous "I Have a Dream" speech. Beautiful. The ( )
  jherrera | Aug 24, 2017 |
This book was about freedom and equality. I liked this book for two reasons. First, the book was not heavy in words and got straight to the point. If anything, the illustrations did most of the storytelling. I appreciated this book because it was telling the importance of a historical event and challenging readers to think about community and equality. Second, I really enjoyed the illustrations to this book as they were very child-friendly yet inspiring to the eyes of readers. Therefore I think the writing and the illustrations went extremely well together. I really appreciate the values of this book and hope to use it in my class one day. ( )
  coh4 | Apr 7, 2017 |
I did and didn’t like this book for a couple of reasons. The first reason I didn’t like this book was because the sentences were very short and the story didn’t really make much sense. For example, on the first page, it says the morning is quiet. They were very simple sentences which makes it easier for younger students to understand the text but it doesn’t help understand what the story is about. The illustrations just illustrate what the text is saying and helps show a picture of the text. I liked the illustrations because it helped illustrate the text for students who may not understand or know the meanings of some of the text. For example, on the page where the text says we come from all over to march, the illustrations shows several busses and the busses filled with people. That shows that people took buses from different places to march. I liked the last page of the book because it describes the date, the number of people, and the reason that the people marched in the book. It gives some information on why the people were marching. The big idea of this story is that you should always fight for your right. The people in this story marched for their right. They marched for the right to their freedom, their right to live out their dreams and to be not treated any different than others. No matter what happens, you should always fight for your right so that you get to fulfil your dreams. ( )
  kmassa3 | Mar 5, 2017 |
This book starts out by showing a family waking up and preparing for the March on Washington. They first head out to a church where they "pray for strength" and "work together" to paint signs to hold during the march. Dr. Martin Luther King is shown in an illustration where it is said, "We follow our leaders." The end of the book explains that they marched for "justice, freedom, and to our dreams." The theme of this book was to explain the March on Washington and why it was done. At the end of the book there is a longer explanation of the march. The illustrations show the setting, which was Washington D.C. -- you can see the picture of the reflection pool with thousands of people standing around it. There were no more than five words on each page, which is not only good for young, beginner readers; it is good because it puts a dramatic emphasis on each word. I really liked this book and the illustrations were wonderfully done. ( )
  cedauzat | Feb 15, 2017 |
A moving introduction to a historic day. Ages 4-8.
added by Christa_Josh | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 28, 2011)

Illustrations and brief text portray the events of the 1963 march in Washington, D.C., where the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. delivered a historic speech.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,620,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible