Zero the Hero: A Book about Nothing! by Joan…

Zero the Hero: A Book about Nothing!

by Joan Holub

Other authors: Tom Lichtenheld (Illustrator)

1934261,059 (3.97)1

Here is the thing. I think kids will really have a understanding of what zero is, and get a concept after reading this book. I also think it can help with the addition and multiplication confusion often made when adding or multiplying zero. My problem came in with calling the other numbers his “friends” as they for surely weren't. and that once zero disappears, I think that this book can maybe cause some confusion with place values. Zero at one point is missing from the “ones” place, and while putting him there makes 10, the spot is still empty, and one IS in the 10s place (the is 1 10) so 1 10 is still represented there. A lot of early confusion with math is just looking at each number after 9 as a memorization and that leads to misconceptions when learning to add and multiply. Apart from that I thought their incorporation of roman numerals was really interesting.
  Jadelinyang | Jun 5, 2018 |
This was a wonderful introduction to the concept of zero, which may be difficult for children to grasp. Some cultures don't even recognize zero as a number in their system. This book is chock full of wonderful number puns that make it incredibly engaging. I love the cute illustrations and the placement of the words, like when zero felt a hole in himself, the words were placed within the open space of the zero. The use of space is phenomenal. This book uses addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with the concept of zero. I loved it and think it would promote the growth of love for math in any child. ( )
  JodieWaits | Apr 17, 2018 |
Summary: this picture/math book is about the number 0 and how sad he feels since 0 doesn't get to do anything when it comes to math problems.

Classroom use: I am always looking for more books about math so I will be adding this to my classroom library to promote math in literacy! ( )
  ayatsexton | Mar 18, 2018 |
This counting book was really neat. It exposes children to roman numerals, and their correlating standard number. I like Zero as the main character because he shows children that you are special, and you are meant for something. ( )
  KrystalKeroack | Mar 15, 2018 |
it is a useful book for children in math. The Arabic number in this book can all talk, which makes it be a fantasy book. It gives a story that the zero number is so different from other numbers in math, so he was isolated from others. However, he finally rescued other numbers based on his unique function in math. This book can be used to inspires students' interests towards math. ( )
  ShiYaoyu | Feb 18, 2018 |

Joan Holubprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lichtenheld, TomIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Lorie Ann, Anna, Julie, Kristen, Paul, George, Barbara, and Emily --J.H.
To Jan, for innumerable reasons --T.L.

Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. That’s what all the other numbers think of Zero. He doesn’t add anything in addition. He’s of no use in division. And don’t even ask what he does in multiplication. (Hint: Poof!) But Zero knows he’s worth a lot, and when the other numbers get into trouble, he swoops in to prove that his talents are innumerable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:17 -0400)

Zero believes that he is a hero, but the counting numbers think he is worthless until they get into trouble with some Roman numerals, and only Zero can help.

Joan Holub is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,545,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible