Life in the Ocean: The Story of…

Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle

by Claire A. Nivola

Ocean

The ocean is one of the most breathtaking places on earth. The ocean is one of earth's important part of life.The ocean contains salt water and most time has current, tides, and waves. The ocean is home to millions of types of species.For example Dolphins, Fish, etc. The ocean is very exciting places to explore it is somewhat like space. The oceans contain Mountains and even Valley.The ocean is important to us because it can provide transportation easier and food and resources.

I love this book because it talks about why the ocean is important to our communities.I also learned that oceans are some of the most beautiful places on earth.If anyone is trying become a marine biologist then I would recommend this book to them.This book is easily a 9/10. I would also recommend this book to people that want to read an awesome book about our earth.
  Dominicp.b2 | Mar 22, 2018 |
This book is giving information about everything that is going in the life of the ocean. It is very informational and the book has great pictures. (INFORMATIONAL TEXT) ( )
  VictoriaVivians | Jun 9, 2017 |
The book does a wonderful job of telling the story of Sylvia Earle, a well-known oceanographer who has spent more than 7000 hours underwater. The story talks about Sylvia's adventurous and curious nature as a child, which led her to her career as an ocean explorer. The book was told from an third person perspective but included quotes from Sylvia that really gave you a feel for her enthusiasm and passion for underwater life. The book included information about different aquatic species and their way of life throughout the narrative. The reader not only learns about Sylvia's impact on the field of oceanography and deep ocean research, but also about whale communication and the organisms found at the deepest depths of the ocean. Even though this book seems to be directed towards younger students, it provides a lot of interesting information about marine life. I feel like I could even use this in my own 10th class as an introduction into a lesson on marine ecosystems. It would also be a great book to share with students when discussing biology-related career fields. I would love to share this story, with the hope that my students gain an understanding of how big of an impact this female scientist has had on marine research. It could open up further research into inspirational women in science fields. ( )
  ssmithers | Jan 31, 2017 |
This book is a biography on Sylvia Earle an oceanographer. The author tells the story of how Sylvia loved discovering plants and animals at an early age. Then writes about her accomplishments and discoveries of the ocean. ( )
  jackiegibson | Jan 13, 2017 |
I love the passion in this book. I find it hard to find individuals with a true passion now. Most people like to be well rounded or do multiple things. This books shows how amazing it can be to fully throw yourself in to one subject and give it everything you have. ( )
  NaomiJohnston | Oct 18, 2016 |
For Po and his extraordinary Fihs World, and for Alycia and her inspired love of the natural world
With thanks to Dr. James McCarthy of Harvard University for his careful attention and invaluable advise, and to Sylvia Earle and her daughter, Liz, for their support and encouragement throughout
Seen from above, Earth's land seems to float likes islands on a vast sea - there is so much more blue than green!
How could she feel lonely when every "spoonful" of water was filled with life!
Pictures of whales, says Sylvia, make them look "big and fat and ponderous and lumpy ... Whales are like swallows ... like otters ... They move in any direction. They swim upside down. They're vertical. They're very which way ... They are sleek and elegant and gorgeous, among the most exquisite creatures on the planet. They move like ballerinas ... Rollicking, frolicking creatures, doing all this wonderful dancing in the sea."
"I'm changed forever because I lived underwater for two weeks in 1970. I wish that everybody could go live underwater if only for a day." (Sylvia Earle)
One expedition, 3,000 feet down, was, Sylvia says, like "diving into a galaxy."
We have explored only 5 percent of the ocean. We know more about the planets in outer space than we know about the sea on our very own home planet!

Sylvia Earle first lost her heart to the ocean as a young girl when she discovered the wonders of the Gulf of Mexico in her backyard. As an adult, she dives even deeper. Whether she’s designing submersibles, swimming with the whales, or taking deep-water walks, Sylvia Earle has dedicated her life to learning more about what she calls “the blue heart of the planet.” With stunningly detailed pictures of the wonders of the sea, Life in the Ocean tells the story of Sylvia’s growing passion and how her ocean exploration and advocacy have made her known around the world. This picture book biography also includes an informative author’s note that will motivate young environmentalists.

Life in the Ocean is one of The Washington Post's Best Kids Books of 2012

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

A picture book biography tells the story of Sylvia Earle's growing passion for the wonders of the sea and how her ocean exploration and advocacy have made her known around the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,545,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible