Life in the Ocean: The Story of…

Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle (edition 2012)

by Claire A. Nivola

Title:Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle
Authors:Claire A. Nivola
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2012), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Easy, Gr.1-3, Gr.3-5, Biography, Science

Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle by Claire A. Nivola

Life in the Ocean is about an oceanographer Sylvia. This story is non-fiction and lets us become a part of Sylvia’s life. She lived in the country and then moved to Florida. She became very interested in the water and Sylvia received many gifts related to the water for her birthday. She was never afraid to stand out and be the only female on an exploration team. Also, Sylvia spent two weeks underwater. Her story is simply amazing and I feel children would enjoy it. This book includes some great illustrations. Life in the Ocean would be an excellent book to expose to children when doing Biography Day. It can be included in a science lesson about the ocean too! ( )
  SadieCooney | Apr 22, 2015 |
The book, "Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle" is a biography about Sylvia Earle, but it is written like a story. The story begins with Sylvia as a child and continues by telling the story of her life. The book also gives information in it about animals of the sea; for example, the humpback whale is mentioned on one of the pages. The author uses this time to tell the reader that the humpback whale is forty feet long and weighs 80,000 pounds. Also, the illustrator shows this greatness of the whale in the illustration by drawing both the whale and Sylvia, but Sylvia is drawn much, much smaller than the whale. I also found the illustrations to be very beautiful, with many different colors to represent the beauty of the ocean. The message that I got from the book is that no matter how small or big your dream or passion is, you cannot be afraid to follow it. ( )
  bridgetmcnamara | Mar 30, 2015 |
This is a biography about the oceanographer, Sylvia Earle. In the book, we learn about Earle’s early years on a farm outside of New Jersey, and then her life once she moved to Florida. She was brave and curious from a very young age, taking her first dive in a river at the age of 16 and swimming 30 feet to the bottom, to living underwater for two weeks in a deep-sea substation in the early seventies.
  kacieholt | Mar 27, 2015 |
The book is aimed more for older children who have an interest in the ocean, as it describes the author early life and how much she appreciates the ocean for being there as she is drawn to it. The reason I think it was intended for older children as the artwork seems really realistic to reali life images, I think this was done to accurately describe and reveal the ocean for what it is. Overall a good book for those into the water world.
  josephumana | Mar 15, 2015 |
I liked this book for several reasons. I enjoyed the imagery and descriptions. The author uses many adjectives and verbs that help the reader paint a picture while they read. For example,”Floating on the surface of the grassy water,...” The words “floating” and “grassy” support the imagery of the sentence. I like how the author also writes about how Sylvia Earle’s interest for the ocean gradually formed as she grew up. The author also included Earle’s accomplishments and discoveries. For example, “...to leading a team of divers stationed for two weeks in a deep sea laboratory off the U.S Virgin Islands,” The accomplishments show the reader Earle’s importance to the story. I also liked that the author relates the animal’s lives to human lives or talks to the audience. For example, “each fish often returning time and again to its same resting place -- just as we do!” I think speaking directly to the audience makes the reader feel like apart of the story. I also enjoyed the detailed watercolor illustrations that relate to the text on each page. The big idea of this story is to take care of the ocean because it contributes to life in our world. ( )
  ktran4 | Feb 20, 2015 |
For Po and his extraordinary Fihs World, and for Alycia and her inspired love of the natural world
With thanks to Dr. James McCarthy of Harvard University for his careful attention and invaluable advise, and to Sylvia Earle and her daughter, Liz, for their support and encouragement throughout
Seen from above, Earth's land seems to float likes islands on a vast sea - there is so much more blue than green!
How could she feel lonely when every "spoonful" of water was filled with life!
Pictures of whales, says Sylvia, make them look "big and fat and ponderous and lumpy ... Whales are like swallows ... like otters ... They move in any direction. They swim upside down. They're vertical. They're very which way ... They are sleek and elegant and gorgeous, among the most exquisite creatures on the planet. They move like ballerinas ... Rollicking, frolicking creatures, doing all this wonderful dancing in the sea."
"I'm changed forever because I lived underwater for two weeks in 1970. I wish that everybody could go live underwater if only for a day." (Sylvia Earle)
One expedition, 3,000 feet down, was, Sylvia says, like "diving into a galaxy."
We have explored only 5 percent of the ocean. We know more about the planets in outer space than we know about the sea on our very own home planet!

Sylvia Earle first lost her heart to the ocean as a young girl when she discovered the wonders of the Gulf of Mexico in her backyard. As an adult, she dives even deeper. Whether she’s designing submersibles, swimming with the whales, or taking deep-water walks, Sylvia Earle has dedicated her life to learning more about what she calls “the blue heart of the planet.” With stunningly detailed pictures of the wonders of the sea, Life in the Ocean tells the story of Sylvia’s growing passion and how her ocean exploration and advocacy have made her known around the world. This picture book biography also includes an informative author’s note that will motivate young environmentalists.

Life in the Ocean is one of The Washington Post's Best Kids Books of 2012

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

A picture book biography tells the story of Sylvia Earle's growing passion for the wonders of the sea and how her ocean exploration and advocacy have made her known around the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,865,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible