Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Life in the Ocean: The Story of…

Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle (edition 2012)

by Claire A. Nivola

Member:mfink1
Title:Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle
Authors:Claire A. Nivola
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2012), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Easy, Gr.1-3, Gr.3-5, Biography, Science

Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle by Claire A. Nivola

Summary: This book is about the life of Sylvia Earl who is an Oceanographer. She grew up on the Gulf of Mexico and that was where her love for the ocean began. She has had many opportunities including designing submarines and swimming with dolphins and whales. Her passion for what she does speaks throughout the pages as she talks about the"blue heart of the planet".
Genre: Picture Book
Review: I love oceanography and when I saw this book at Powell's during the library explore assignment, I had to pick it up and read it. I loved the illustrations and how it felt like I was deep down in the ocean. I love the idea of using this book to teach about the ocean because it is a very interesting and often forgotten place. This was definitely one of my favorite books that I read during the term.
  mroque | Jun 6, 2014 |
Reading Level: Primary or Secondary
Genre: Biography

Summary: This is a biography about oceanographer Sylvia Earle. It informs us of all she has accomplished while being an oceanographer.
  rdg301library | May 28, 2014 |
This is a great story to show a job that many kids don't know about. This could be used with some science curriculum about the ocean.
  polochick | Mar 16, 2014 |
"Life in the Ocean" tells the story of Sylvia Earle, oceanographer and environmentalist. When Sylvia was a child, she spent most of her time exploring life around her family's farm. However, she found her real passion when she and her family moved to Florida. From that day forward, Sylvia Earle dedicated her life to exploring the sea.
  teacher1267 | Jan 27, 2014 |
Nivola really has a gift for evoking a sense of place with her illustrations. This biography is a celebration of a great scientist's achievement, a love letter to our amazing oceans, an invitation to explore your world and discover what you find fascinating, and a reminder that women are still underrepresented in the sciences. Bibliography, and extensive author's note, but no citations for Earle's words quoted in the text. (My brand-new frustration with picture book non-fiction.) ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
For Po and his extraordinary Fihs World, and for Alycia and her inspired love of the natural world
With thanks to Dr. James McCarthy of Harvard University for his careful attention and invaluable advise, and to Sylvia Earle and her daughter, Liz, for their support and encouragement throughout
Seen from above, Earth's land seems to float likes islands on a vast sea - there is so much more blue than green!
How could she feel lonely when every "spoonful" of water was filled with life!
Pictures of whales, says Sylvia, make them look "big and fat and ponderous and lumpy ... Whales are like swallows ... like otters ... They move in any direction. They swim upside down. They're vertical. They're very which way ... They are sleek and elegant and gorgeous, among the most exquisite creatures on the planet. They move like ballerinas ... Rollicking, frolicking creatures, doing all this wonderful dancing in the sea."
"I'm changed forever because I lived underwater for two weeks in 1970. I wish that everybody could go live underwater if only for a day." (Sylvia Earle)
One expedition, 3,000 feet down, was, Sylvia says, like "diving into a galaxy."
We have explored only 5 percent of the ocean. We know more about the planets in outer space than we know about the sea on our very own home planet!

Sylvia Earle first lost her heart to the ocean as a young girl when she discovered the wonders of the Gulf of Mexico in her backyard. As an adult, she dives even deeper. Whether she’s designing submersibles, swimming with the whales, or taking deep-water walks, Sylvia Earle has dedicated her life to learning more about what she calls “the blue heart of the planet.” With stunningly detailed pictures of the wonders of the sea, Life in the Ocean tells the story of Sylvia’s growing passion and how her ocean exploration and advocacy have made her known around the world. This picture book biography also includes an informative author’s note that will motivate young environmentalists.

Life in the Ocean is one of The Washington Post's Best Kids Books of 2012

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:36 -0400)

A picture book biography tells the story of Sylvia Earle's growing passion for the wonders of the sea and how her ocean exploration and advocacy have made her known around the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,701,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible