Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story by…

Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story

by Kara LaReau

Other authors: Scott Magoon (Illustrator)

“Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story” is an excellent book. I really enjoyed it for one particular reason. In the beginning of the book the author described Mr. Prickles as, “a not particularly friendly fellow.” She then begins to show how Mr. Prickles is left out of the other woodland creatures’ activities because of his outward appearance. When the skunk, chipmunk, and raccoon tell Mr. Prickles that he is not, “playful, cute, or cuddly” like them Mr. Prickles responds by saying, “I am on the inside” but no one believes him. Mr. Prickles is isolated even more, becoming very lonely and also “prickly” on the inside and very jealous of the other creatures. I think it is fantastic that the author showcased how sometimes good people can be made to feel very ugly on the inside because of how other people treat them. This is a message not often addressed in children’s books. It’s important for people to realize that their rude actions can cause people to feel this way. The central message of the book comes into play when Mr. Prickles meets a fellow porcupine named Miss Pointypants. At first, Mr. Prickles and Miss. Pointypants angrily watch the other animals that isolate them based on what they look like until one day Miss Pointypants becomes bored. From then one Miss Pointypants and Mr. Prickles go swimming, eat dinner, go on walks, and spend lots of quality time together having fun all on their own. They come to realize that the other animals they envied are not as funny or fun as they thought they were and decide that they don’t feel prickly on the inside anymore. In the end Mr. Prickles learns that it is nice to have friends, but ones that love and care for who you are on the inside. The central message of, “Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story” is a warning against people who judge others on how they look on the outside, because it is a very mean thing to do. The central message is also for people to accept themselves and find friends who love and accept every aspect of them, inside and out. ( )
  MaryBethLingner | Sep 30, 2013 |
Mr. Prickles tries hard to fit in with the other woodland creatures in this picture-book about being yourself and finding the companion suited to you, but Raccoon, Chipmunk, and Skunk are not interested in having such a prickly friend. Angry that they have excluded him because he is different, Mr. Prickles sits around giving them sharp looks, until another porcupine named Miss Pointypants appears on the scene, and he discovers someone who is happy to spend time with him.

As a confirmed porcupine and hedgehog lover, and as someone who has admired illustrator Scott Magoon's work in such titles as Spoon and Chopsticks, I really expected to enjoy this "quill-fated love story" more than I did. Unfortunately, the story just didn't "speak" to me - I expected to be charmed, but was mostly indifferent - and the artwork struck me as being rather flat and dreary, especially when compared with some of Magoon's other work. Tastes vary, and I can see Mr. Prickles being used to spark discussions about bullying and inclusion with younger children, but in the end, it just didn't work that well for me. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 18, 2013 |
Not sure why other animals would be willing to hang out with a skunk but not a porcupine. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
This cute little love story shows that just because you are different, doesn't mean you don't deserve to find love.
  hidthemyd | Dec 2, 2012 |
Yes my friends, I was taken in by the story of this little porcupine who simply wanted to belong, held fast by the barbs thrown his way by those "cutesy" animals of the forest, and reminded of the simple pleasure it can be to "be alone, together".

It's true what they say; any situation is ten times easier to handle when you have someone to share it with. Be it a night on the town, a trip to the movies, or simply vegging at home reading books and staying up til dawn. Alone time is nice, but too much of a good thing is still too much. Mr. Prickles knew this first hand and experienced the awful side affects of envy (a feeling that isn't often covered in children's books), which had the potential to turn his heart cold. Thank goodness for Miss Pointypants! This female porcupine comes along in the nick of time and together they discover that there's another road worth taking that's much more enjoyable in the end; a road that leads to self appreciation, understanding and ultimately...love.

The artwork though dark in color scheme works well to illustrate the feelings circulating throughout the story. Their striking nature reflects Mr Prickles predicament while illuminating the "ugly" side of life exposed by the cutesy woodland dwellers. Bet you won't look at a squirrel or racoon the same way again....at least not if they're in the company of a porcupine.

A book for all ages perfect for Valentine's Day or anytime of year for that matter. It tackles the ugly feelings both caused and felt in our lives with tact and understanding, allowing the message of "you are not alone" to shine through. There is someone for everyone out there and if Mr Prickles is any example to be followed, the right one will stick with you for all the right reasons....even if you're covered in glue. ( )
  GRgenius | Jan 18, 2012 |

Kara LaReauprimary authorall editionscalculated
Magoon, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159643483X, Hardcover)

Mr. Prickles was not a particularly friendly fellow. He was tough to get close to . . . because he was a porcupine.
“You're not cute like us,” said Raccoon.
“Or cuddly like us,” said Chipmunk.
“Or playful like us,” said Skunk.
“I am,” said Mr. Prickles. “On the inside.”
Poor Mr. Prickles was very lonely-until the day he met Miss Pointypants. Could she be the perfect prickly companion for moonlit strolls and midnight feasts? Was love in the air for even the sharpest of sorts?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:46 -0400)

Excluded by the other forest animals for not being cute, cuddly, and playful, a porcupine feels lonely and angry until he finds a prickly companion, Miss Pointypants.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible