Lady Hahn and Her Seven Friends by Yumi Heo

Lady Hahn and Her Seven Friends

by Yumi Heo

I enjoyed this story. It is a traditional Korean tale, reflecting on the values of friendship. The seven friends are each tools for making shirts and skirts, which Lady Hahn enjoys making. Unfortunately, the seven friends begin to bicker about whose job is most important and why each of them is better than the others. Then, Lady Hahn interjects and claims “Without my hands none of you could do your jobs well. I am the most important of all.” The friends come together in their hurting and decide to escape. When Lady Hahn discovers this, she understands her mistake. In the end, everyone comes together and works in harmony. This plot, though simple, was very sweet and heartfelt. The story is kept interesting through the characters, who represent different objects, like scissors or thread. From my understanding, it is culturally appropriate. As a traditional story, it gives readers a new perspective about another culture. The illustrations use many colors and are pertinent to telling the story. The overarching message is the most important part. The message is that each individual has special abilities and gifts, but everyone needs to come together in order to be successful. ( )
  drobin24 | Nov 14, 2016 |
This was an interesting story that shows what can happen when boasting gets out of hand. I like the author's note at the beginning because it gives you insight as to why this story is special to Yumi Heo. This story is aimed at primary students and would be a great way to discuss teamwork. I also think it would be great for introducing personification. ( )
  kimhumphrey22 | Feb 8, 2016 |
Class Discussion
  yatsogu | Aug 15, 2015 |
This is a fun story about a Korean Seamstress and her seven necessary tools she uses to sew traditional Korean clothing. It is originated from a Korean classical essay that was written in the late 1800’s. This story highlights the important skill of sewing in the Korean culture and portrays bold and colorful illustrations showing traditional Korean clothing and furniture.
  ryckecraw | Nov 8, 2014 |
I did not like this book very much. The first reason I disliked his book was the dialogue between the characters. The purpose of the book was that each friend thought they were the most important, but later realized that they all were, and the dialogue was very negative because of it. For example, the scissors said "You forgot about me. You talk only about yourself. How good is measuring the silk well if you cannot cut it? I am the most important of all." I just thought that it was very argumentative, abrasive, and rude. I understand that they needed to be that way to get to the moral of the story, but I feel the authors could have been a bit more tactical in that regard. I also did not like how this book played into gender stereotypes and discriminatory towards females. The seamstress was a woman, as well as all of her tools. Not only were her tools female, but they all had names that suggested that marriage for girls are important. Some of the names were Newlywed Scissors, Young Bride Needle, and Young Bride Red Thread. Overall this book will not make it into my classroom. The message of this book was everyone has a job, and everyone is important.
  cduke3 | Sep 25, 2014 |

Lady Hahn is a seamstress, and her seven friends are the tools she uses to sew—Mrs. Ruler, Newlywed Scissors, Young Bride Needle, Young Bride Red Thread, Old Lady Thimble, Young Lady Flatiron, and Little Miss Iron. When Lady Hahn’s friends start boasting about how important they are, Lady Hahn turns her back on them. But it's not long before she realizes how much she needs her friends as every one of them contributes in an important, special way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:39 -0400)

A seamstress banishes her tools from her sewing box when she hears them boasting, but she discovers that she cannot do her work without them.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible