Foundation for the Lost by Scott Rhine

Foundation for the Lost

by Scott Rhine

dragon (1) fantasy (1) FCR (1) Kindle (1) kindle-cloud (1) love (1) magic (1) to-read (2) urban (1)

I think one of the more interesting things about fantasy books in general is they explore a lot of ideas that a lot of novels do not. In particular I always find it interesting when a novel decides to take on the subject of religion. Religion always has the ability to be a hot button topic, and when you put it in an urban fantasy setting, I think it has the ability to be even more of a hot button topic. But that being said almost every urban fantasy book I have read that touches on the subject of religion has always been well written, thought provoking, and respectful, and the same can be said for this book.

A warning to those of you out there who don't like books that are on the longer spectrum of things, this book is a bit of read, and does take a little while to get through. It is a good book though, so if you like a longer book (like I do), then you will probably enjoy reading this one.

Even though the book is on the longer side, it does not mean that it is slow in pace. The book maintains a pretty good pace throughout the entire thing, including the beginning (beginnings have been my biggest complaint lately so I wanted to mention that).

I think part of the reason why the book has such a good pace to it, is that the plot is actually pretty complex. There is a lot for Aaron, the main character, to figure out as things go along. Nothing is really what it seems, and as he has never had a problem like this before, there is a lot of work going into resolving what is happening. An easy thing to do with a complicated story line is confuse the reader, most of the time by giving them too much information all at once and not letting the reader adjust to changes or new additions. I felt like the author skillfully avoided this, but giving the reader just enough information, and leaving the reader wanting to know more.

While the book at times can be a bit on the heavy side subject matter wise, the author also added some enjoyable humor and romance to break up the heaviness, which I appreciated. I think this a good urban fantasy book, and to be honest I think more of my guy friends would be a fan of this book than my girls. But that doesn't mean girls can't enjoy it, after all I liked the book! So think about giving it a try! ( )
  HomeLoveBooks | Apr 27, 2012 |
Aaron is a magician who has all his priorities in order and some powerful magic tricks up his sleeve. He works for the Walker Foundation which helps the Lost; youth who have magical powers and who can be essentially saved to use their powers for good.

Now Aaron is being hunted, and he has to call on help from unexpected places. Between a demon who lies, and a woman he loves who has the ability to literally turn him into a pile of ashes, his help might get him killed, yet. Along with his companions and his newest young apprentice, Winn, they have to find out who is trying to kill Aaron before they pull it off the next time. If he can survive, then it will come down to saving the world from a dragon capable of consuming it, and keeping his powers long enough to stand a chance against it.

Foundation for the Lost is a smart, well written urban fantasy. It weaves deep into religion and histories to pull forth all sorts of magic through its complex characters, all while hiding it from the world we know. Mixed with a bit of witty comedy, romance, and action, this is a very enjoyable and highly recommended read. ( )
  S.J._Wist | Sep 13, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible