Rabbit, Run (1960)

by John Updike

Series: "Rabbit" Series (1)

Harry Angstrom was a star basketball player in high school and that was the best time of his life. Now in his mid-20s, his work is unfulfilling, his marriage is moribund, and he tries to find happiness with another woman. But happiness is more elusive than a medal, and Harry must continue to run--from his wife, his life, and from himself, until he reaches the end of the road and has to turn back.… (more)

English (91)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (95)
Nehezen indult, aztán valahogy mégis kikerekedett a számomra ez a történet... Nem lesz a kedvencem, de legalább méltányolni tudom a szándékot, hogy egy ilyen nehéz helyzetet, vagy egy ilyen lehetetlen karaktert középpontba állított a szerző. Billeg az olvasó voksa és igazságérzete, hogy kinek drukkoljon, hogy melyik sorsot válassza mérvadónak. Folyamatosan jönnek az érvek és ellenérvek. Sodródásnak látszik, de a végén nagyon is tudatos szerkesztésnek minősül a regény minden szava és szála. ( )
  gjudit8 | Aug 3, 2020 |
Wow! What a book! I hated Harry for his selfish immaturity. I pitied Janice for her victim hood and Nelson for having such dysfunctional parents. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
I started this book a couple months ago, got about 70 pages in and had to put it down for now. While I enjoy Updike's unique literary style, I wasn't particularly engaged the way I'd imagined. I'll revisit it later. Definitely a series to engage with over the course of one's life.
  Cail_Judy | Apr 21, 2020 |
I made a pact with myself to never continue reading a book I'm not liking past 50 pages (100 max). With this one, I had to remind myself that the rule should also apply to classics. I'm sorry. I just could not keep reading (and this is part one of a four part series. Ack!).

I have never despised a character quite as much as Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom. Ugh. If I had to listen to one more line of his self-serving internal diatribe, I may have used the book to beat myself unconscious. Extreme? Read it, or try to. I do realize there are some who probably like this. Sorry if this offends you, but we all have our likes and dislikes. I have to keep this in mind when I find someone doesn't like a book I enjoy.

Read this excellent essay here on Goodreads by Jason Pettus. He pretty much sums up my feelings on this book. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/121429861?book_show_action=true ( )
  TheTrueBookAddict | Mar 23, 2020 |
A real nothing-burger.

Yes, the writing has some nice patches, good turns of phrase. Yes it really feels like small town USA.

But no, there is nothing very interesting or exciting here, no Rabbit is not particually bad or unlikeable (some other reviewers are lucky they haven't seen that much of the world - Rabbit is a regular guy) and no, the weak, slow, domestic plot does not really go anywhere.

I read 2/3'rds of it before I was too bored to ever return. ( )
  GirlMeetsTractor | Mar 22, 2020 |

Updike, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Germeraad, R.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Glaser, MiltonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oddera, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The motions of Grace,
the hardness of the heart;
external circumstances
-- Pascal, Pensee 507
Boys are playing basketball around a telephone pole with a backboard bolted to it.
A serious shadow crosses her face that seems to remove her and Harry, who sees it, from the others, and takes them into that strange area of a million years ago from which they have wandered; a strange guilt pierces Harry at being here instead of there, where he never was. Ruth and Harrison across from them, touched by staccato red light, seem to smile from the heart of damnation. (p. 144, Penguin 1964 ed.)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141187832, 0141037520

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,541,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible