I Love You, Asshole! by Amy Lane

I Love You, Asshole!

by Amy Lane

I usually love Amy Lane's books. I'll admit I haven't read them all, but I found this to be not my cup of tea. I liked the beginning and ending, but was lost in the middle. 2.75 Stars ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
I’m not sure I completely understood this two “gay for you” approach of the plot, but for sure it was something I have never read before. When Marcus is turned into a vampire, he is straight and with a girlfriend he loves, he has never once desired men and he was completely satisfied with his love and sex life. But a newly made vampire is dangerous, and it’s custom to have them interact only with same-sex supernatural creatures, so that they can be as forceful as they want without causing damages. So Marcus had his first same-sex sexual experiences and truth be told, he didn’t mind it. Sure, Marcus still preferred women if he had to pick or at least that was true until Phillip.

Phillip is a young man Marcus met one night; he is fascinated by him, but probably nothing would have come from it if not for a fatal accident that forces Marcus to turn Phillip into a vampire; now Marcus feels responsible for the young vampire, even if he is almost unmanageable and almost homophobic. The only same sex relationship he manages is with Marcus, and so they become buddy friends with benefits, sharing a room and occasionally also lovers. For 20 years Marcus pines for Phillip, waiting for the time the man will realize they are destined to be together in a real mating bond.

In a way, I prefer Phillip to Marcus. I think Marcus is not fighting enough for their love, it felt like he didn’t believe in it. Phillip is always the one, to my eyes, who takes the first step, but Marcus is always ready to misunderstand his motives, in the end making him going away. This come and go motion continues for a long time, when, again, it will be Phillip that will take the ownership of deciding what it will be of them.

There is a lot of sex in this novel, even if it’s in front of your eyes sex; sex between men and women, vampires and shapeshifters, elves and sorcerers, and whatever combination of these you can imagine. So yes, love and bond here is not represented by monogamy, but more by a commitment of souls that goes beyond that of the bodies.

elisa.rolle | Jun 2, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,637,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible