Momofuku Milk Bar by Christina Tosi

Momofuku Milk Bar

by Christina Tosi

1202100,400 (4.08)None

Momfuku Milk Bar has to be one of the most beautiful dessert cookbooks I have ever seen. There is not a picture that does not leave you mouth watering. Even the ingredient photos are gorgeous. Ah, but wait till you see the Apple Pie Layer cake, Candy Bar pie, Kimchi Blue Cheese Croissants.... every recipe is beautifully constructed.

There is ice cream, cookies, crumb toppings, crusts, cakes, ganaches, breads, and brittles......

I made the Grapefruit Pie for my daughter and friends and it was gone so fast I'd wished I made more. it was fantastic ! I have plans to make some of the cookies as well as the Kimchi Croissants. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I've never read a cookbook quite like Momofuku Milk Bar. The background of the author/chef--how she came to be where she is, her past roles and experiences as a child and adult--lent an interesting and brief memoir air to the narrative behind the creative, sometimes wacky recipes. Yes, to me, many of the recipes were a bit wacky. I'll try some of them involving savory-sweet flavors, such as the pretzel crunch. The cereal milk (the essence of various commercial dry cereals captured in milk, like what is left at the bottom of the bowl, minus the actual cereal bits) base for many of the recipes is clever, and I can see how it would appeal to many Americans' palates (the nostalgia and hominess of a bowl of crunchy/soggy cereal consumed in front of Saturday morning cartoons or hastily downed before the dash to the school bus). It does not appeal to me though--I never really liked the milk at the bottom, it was more a drink-it-don't-waste-it-and-get-your calcium sort of penance--so I won't be trying those particular recipes.

Also the recipes in Momofuku Milk Bar involve what I consider a lot of junk, processed food beyond cereal. Though I do find the inclusion of must have ingredients and tools to make the recipes come out like they do in her bakery, as well as the rationale behind them and where to find said items, I find the recommendation of using local and organic milk and a few other ingredients a bit odd. This is probably because I include local and organic ingredients when I can because I believe they are better for personal health and the environment and local economy and not primarily because they make the final product taste better, have better texture, etc. This is definitely a side benefit, but my use of them is not because they carry a certain cache and it's the hip thing to do. I think there may be a little of that going on here in Momofuku, though I do think the author uses them mostly because they provide the best taste, appearance and texture for her final products.

In any case the recipes and methods in this book were without a doubt very interesting and I learned some basic techniques and innovative ones (which were described more than adaquetly). In summary, though these recipes do not involve the kinds of foods I would use or deserts that I would make, the book is definitely a fun read and exploration of a desert bakery sensation in NYC. I'd recommend it to people looking for something really different to do with desserts, who want to knock the socks off the recipients of these likely addictive creations. ( )
2 vote dgoo | Sep 14, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307720497, Hardcover)

Featured Recipe: Corn Cookies

Momofuku Milk Bar Corn CookiesYield 13 to 15 cookies

16 tablespoons or 2 sticks (225 g) butter, at room temperature 1-1/2 cups (300 g) sugar 1 egg 1-1⁄3 cups (225 g) flour 1/4 cup (45 g) corn flour 2/3 cup (65 g) freeze-dried corn powder 3/4 teaspoon (3 g) baking powder 1/4 teaspoon (1.5 g) baking soda 1-1/2 teaspoons (6 g) kosher salt Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and cream together on medium-high for 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the egg, and beat for 7 to 8 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour, corn flour, corn powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until the dough comes together, no longer than 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Using a 2 3/4-ounce ice cream scoop (or a 1⁄3-cup measure), portion out the dough onto a parchment-lined sheet pan. Pat the tops of the cookie dough domes flat. Wrap the sheet pan tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 1 week. Do not bake your cookies from room temperature--they will not bake properly. Heat the oven to 350°F. Arrange the chilled dough a minimum of 4 inches apart on parchment- or Silpat-lined sheet pans. Bake for 18 minutes. The cookies will puff, crackle, and spread. After 18 minutes, they should be faintly browned on the edges yet still bright yellow in the center; give them an extra minute if not. Cool the cookies completely on the sheet pans before transferring to a plate or to an airtight container for storage. At room temp, the cookies will keep fresh for 5 days; in the freezer, they will keep for 1 month.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:49 -0400)

"Just as Momofuku was much more than a cookbook, Momofuku Milk Bar, too, will have a compelling narrative story, also written with Peter Meehan, that shares the unlikely beginnings of this quirky bakery's success. A runaway success in fall 2009, Momofuku suffered from just one criticism among reviewers: where were Christina Tosi's fantastic desserts? The compost cookie, a chunky chocolate-chip cookie studded with crunchy salty pretzels and coffee grounds; the crack pie, a sugary-buttery confection as craveable as the name implies; the cereal milk ice cream, made from everyone's favorite part of a nutritious breakfast--the milk at the bottom of a bowl of cereal; the easy layer cakes that forgo fancy frosting in favor of unfinished edges that hint at the yumminess inside. Momofuku Milk Bar will have all the recipes for their most addictive desserts, along with ones for savory baked goods that take a page from Dave's Asian-flavored cuisine, such as Kimchi Croissant with Blue Cheese"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible