Blue Straggler by Kathy Lynn Harris

Blue Straggler

by Kathy Lynn Harris

289389,858 (3.96)1 / 3

From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

This story was a much quicker read than I expected. I wasn't expecting much, and thought it was another blah chick lit-romance. I started meeting the characters and I'm thinking, "yeah he likes her and after some turmoil they'll get together." It just didn't grab me much.

But it was well written and the characters were fun. So I kept reading. I totally understood Bailey's family, they are like that in Michigan too. Not that they were horrible, but feelings were considered something to ignore and they were constantly telling Bailey to stop overreacting. Her brother was the golden boy, and she felt invisible.

So when she finds out about her great-grandmother who ran to Colorado, she followed the trail to see what she could find out about this woman whom her mother refused to speak of. When she gets there and sees the mountains and feels the blessed cool, she falls in love.

What if she really doesn't belong in Texas?

It is full of heartbreak, frustration, romance and a fair number of surprises. Good job, Kathy! ( )
  lilacwolf | Sep 17, 2012 |
"Blue Straggler" by Kathy Lynn Harris is a novel about a Texas girl who goes to Colorado to find information about her grandmother and winds up finding it about herself. Imagine Jennifer Weiner writing a book about Chelsea Handler. It is funny, odd, adventurous, and makes you want to travel. It starts off with Bailey in Texas with her wacko family and her screwball friends. After a couple of drunken binges and a one night stand, Bailey finds a picture of her great grandmother, whom no one will talk about. Annie, the grandmother, left her family and went to Colorado. She then proceeded to marry over 5 times. Bailey is on the search. When arriving in the small town in Colorado, she proceeds to have more drunken binges and one night stands, thus, she comes to face the fact that she understands a little more about Annie then she first expected. She then meets Adam, your traditional sensitive mountain man. She starts a new life. Then Texas comes calling and a decision must be made. This is a quick read, but enjoyable. Would recommend it for women. ( )
1 vote beckiestoneking | Sep 14, 2012 |
This was either the story of someone trying to find their family history or the story of someone trying to find a new life for themselves, or the story of falling in love,or the story of coping with loss, or the story of learning to cope with changed friendships... Take your pick. I didn't feel that too many of them really related to each other and some weren't quite finished by the end of the book. Then again, what part of life /is/ really finished? We continue going on through all the little hiccups and changes that we face.

The main character in this book had a lot of witty conversations and I enjoyed her thinking for the most part, though it was a little heavy on the "everyone's out to get me" concept, for whatever reason that was, I couldn't really tell. Her thinking was somewhat jumbled also, but maybe I'm just not a very good match for the character, so perhaps I can't understand her actions as well as someone else might have.

Overall, the various plot points kept me reading, as well as the quick lines and turns of phrase. I felt like more of the actions through the book needed a conclusion though, but for the most part that didn't take too much from the experience.

Note: Though this book was a free gift from the author, the content of my review was in no way influenced by the gifting. The book speaks for itself and my review would have been worded just this way even if I'd gone out and bought it. I also give bonus points for Text To Speech enabling on Kindle format.... but that also wasn't a factor in the above review ( )
  mirrani | Jul 22, 2012 |
I highly enjoyed this book, couldnt put it down. Ended nicely even though I would have liked to see more develpment with Bailey and Adam but other than that I really liked it, definetly recommend it to others. ( )
1 vote rtroth | Jun 28, 2012 |
Really liked this novel ( )
  mistyd10 | Jun 19, 2012 |

“... A refreshing new voice in fiction I hope to read more of in the future.”

“Give this one a try.”

“I found myself laughing out loud unexpectedly.”

A blue straggler is a star that has an anomalous blue color and appears to be disconnected from those stars that surround it.

But this is not a story about astronomy.

Bailey Miller is "disconnected" from the cluster of her rural south Texas family. She has never quite fit in and now in her early 30s, she finds herself struggling with inner turmoil and a series of bad choices in her life.

“The characters are so richly drawn, and the story humorous yet poignant. Harris is one of those rare writers who has real affection for the people she creates.”

Bailey's drinking too much (even for a member of her family), has a penchant to eat spoonfuls of Cool Whip, works in a job that bores her beyond description and can't keep a relationship longer than it takes for milk to expire in her fridge.

Even with the help of her two outspoken friends, Texas lass Idamarie and her quirky college pal Rudy, she's having a hard time.

“The characters made me laugh, cry, and wish that the story went on forever.”

“...every single Texas reference Kathy Lynn Harris made was so descriptive that I knew exactly what she was talking about. I felt as if I was living the story.”

So she packs up her Honda and heads out of Texas in search of herself and answers to secrets from her great-grandmother's past. The novel takes readers on a journey from San Antonio, Texas, to a small mountain town in Colorado and back again, as Bailey uncovers not only the secrets of her great-grandmother's life, but also some painful secrets of her own. All while finding love along the way.

“...both thoughtful and laugh-out-loud funny! I also hope that the author is working on a sequel.”

“I laughed till I cried, then cried till I laughed. This is one I will read over and over again.”

If you have ever wondered why you got stuck with the family you did, what you are doing with your job and your life, or had a sudden desire to run off to the mountains, sit back and join Bailey for this laugh-out-loud, yet poignant ride.

“Ms. Harris ⚊ I'm ready for the next installment!”

Bailey Miller is a 30-something, fairly directionless single female in South Texas. Her sometimes humorous, often semi-tragic, choices eventually lead her out of Texas, to a small mountain town in Colorado, and back again to Texas. Along the way, she searches for not only herself but also answers to long held secrets from her legitimately unbalanced great-grandmothers past.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Kathy Lynn Harris's book Blue Straggler was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Kathy Lynn Harris is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,741,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible