VN2 by Gwenna Sebastian
191537,190 (3.5)None
Recently added byTW_Spencer, gigi9988776, dwcobb

I had two thoughts on this book. The first was that it was a good solid military/sci-fi book that had many different characters and just a touch of romance in it. The second was that it was a bit cookie cutter, and not just for m/m romance, but for all psychic bonding romance.

I liked the book because I thought the author had an excellent grasp of her own world. I really wish we would have seen more of their universe. Is it military ruled or not? What exactly differentiates a Truebred from a regular bred or Bonded (though a Truebred could be both)? These questions would have enriched the story had they been answered. On the other hand, I have read countless psychic bonding books (and some not psychic but bonding books) where one partner doesn’t want to bond and the other one might go in a rage or force the bond. This is a little too easy. It’s like if fate decides you two are mates, even if you haven’t met before, then you have to jump in the sack or either have bond poisoning, or in Lora Leigh’s case the unbearable “heat”. It just seems like this forced bonding side effect is way too easy to push. I do love though, how strong Ian’s character was, he managed to fight off the bonding longer than anyone else had ever heard of. At the same time again why would only Nate go crazy and force the bond (aka rape)? Why wouldn’t both go crazy? I had that same issue when we heard of Doc and Sean’s back-story. Sean went crazy and raped the Doc (extenuating circumstances I honestly do not feel like Sean’s a bad guy so don’t judge the word rape in this book’s context) why wouldn’t the Doc do it to Sean?

These holes and unexplained circumstances are what prevented this great book from being five stars. I have hopes that the author will continue this series and delve into the Bonded more as well as their world and the above unanswered. Overall I was also so pleased it wasn’t a shortie like so many m/m books are. While I wouldn’t categorize it as a m/m romance… I would say it’s a military sci-fi book that has a little m/m romance in it.

~ Bitten by Books for AReCafe ( )
  AReCafe | Apr 24, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,447,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible