Face-Off by Stacy Juba

Face-Off

by Stacy Juba

I listened to the audiobook version of Face-Off. I typically prefer reading over listening to audiobooks because I have issues with the reader’s voice and not being able to go at my pace, which is usually faster. I scratched my eye and needed to keep it closed so the audiobook was a nice distraction for me. Maxwell Glick did an amiable job at narrating. I could easily tell which character was speaking even before he would say a name because of his change in dialects.

I really enjoyed Face-Off. The story was very realistic. Twin brothers used to attend two different schools. Now they are both attending the same school and competing for the captain position on the hockey team. Stacy Juba does a great job showing the emotional issues both boys are facing. I could see many kids and adults relating to this story.

I recommended this book to my son and the kids on his PeeWee hockey team. ( )
  dlynch | Mar 3, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book. You don't have to be a young adult or hockey fan to enjoy this book. It is an easy reading book that teens and adults will enjoy. Readers will be able to identify with divorcing parents and sibling rivalry.
I appreciated the sections of the book that showed the twins assisting their younger brother, Chris, with the problems he encountered dealing with his anger and resentment of his parents constant bickering and their separation.The twins even solved their sibling rivalry when they were forced to play on the same hockey team. Go read the book for the details. You'll be glad you did. I can't wait to read "Offsides" which is part 2 of Face Off. ( )
  ldbell500 | Jan 31, 2012 |
I received this book from Librarything in exchange for an honest review.

Apparently, this is a reissue of a book that was written when the author was only 16. I was very impressed with all the hockey lingo and thought it was very well done. The twins interaction and the difficulties with the parents were very real. I was moved by all the relationships and how they evolved over time.

I thought it was wonderful how the twins worked out a majority of their issues, but it almost seemed too easy for a long standing resentment, a fierce sibling rivalry, just to fade away. Of course, perhaps this is just the calm before the storm!

I enjoyed reading this book a lot, and believe that sports fans and younger readers will really like it! ( )
  chickey1981 | Dec 25, 2011 |
I don't normally read YA fiction but this one drew my attention for two reasons: I'm a fan of Stacy Juba's mysteries and I have been a huge Boston Bruins fan for close to 40 years. Knowing that this book centered around hockey made it a must read!

This is a great story that is so much more than a hockey read. We're shown the dynamics of a family experiencing both joys and difficulties. The four boys suffer sibling rivalry but also support each other completely. Juba's writing is engaging and I was immediately sucked into this family of hockey players.

Face-Off has no profanity or content that would be inappropriate for children. I highly recommend this one whether you're a hockey fan or just looking for a good story. ( )
  Darcia | Sep 15, 2011 |

Brad and his twin brother, T.J., compete with each other over friends, Brad's girlfriend, and the position of captain of their high school hockey team.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Stacy Juba's book Face-Off was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Stacy Juba is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Stacy Juba chatted with LibraryThing members from Jan 10, 2011 to Jan 17, 2011. Read the chat.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,926,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible