dismiss

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity

by Elizabeth Wein

Series: Young Pilots (1), Code Name Verity (1)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.
Recently added bymandyo, Europa_Erupts, private library, rena40, lizelenas10, Yrrol, Hydenseek
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (Anonymous user)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    In The Blood Of The Greeks: Intertwined Souls Series, Book 1 by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (327)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (329)
Every once in a while a book comes along that just flat out tells a beautiful, moving and mesmerizing story. That's what this was. I laughed and I cried and I cried while laughing. I felt Queenie's pain and fear as a POW. I felt both women's frustration in trying to survive in the male dominated war effort. It was so refreshing to read a book where there wasn't a romance involved. Instead it was just a great story about the friendship of two girls and their story.

"It's a bit like being in love, finding your best friend."

The above is one of my favorite quotes from the book. I understand this line so much. Finding your best friend that's also a "bosom buddy" or "soul mate" is like falling in love.

Wein does a magnificent job writing her characters. And it's not just the Maddie and Queenie that moved me and that I loved. I was intrigued by her German captors, their friends and the other prisoners. The people were flaws, but at the same time loving, and very, very human. She showed how people got caught up in a war and ended up on sides that some didn't really believe in. Wein had a way of telling a story but then at the end, I saw where I had missed a number of clues all the way around as to things that were happening behind the scenes or from other points of views or right in front of me and I didn't see it. The story was a weaving of an intricate spider web.

I highly recommend it. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
Was not thrilled with this book. I admit I am a YA - TEEN reader for my 6th graders and this was not really a book i would suggest. I do believe in the strong women roles in this book and its description of torture and rape were over whelming vivid, but this story was not for me. ( )
  MrNattania72 | Mar 17, 2020 |
Truly remarkable. I did not read the first section carefully enough and I am eager to go back and reread it, this time with the knowledge of the second section to inform my reading.

I suspect and hope that this will be on many award lists this winter. ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
Oct. 11th, 1943-A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.

When "Verity" is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn't stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she's living a spy's worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.

As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage, failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy?
  Gmomaj | Nov 25, 2019 |
I loved it I loved it I loved it.

I've been disappointed by a few books this year and I'm SO glad this wasn't one of them.

Historical fiction that was detailed and well-researched, amazing ladies doing kick-ass things and being the Very Best of Friends*, twisty plotting and GODDAMN HEARTBREAK.

*Maybe also gay? But maybe not? I'm genuinely happy for this one to go either way. ( )
  a-shelf-apart | Nov 19, 2019 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around her, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory—hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)

During World War II, a female civilian pilot and a female espionage agent form an unbreakable bond of friendship even as they find their lives threatened in Occupied France.
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth.
(octopedingenue)

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,530,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible