Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2013)

by Elizabeth Wein (Author)

Member:Courtney_Anne
Title:Code Name Verity
Authors:Elizabeth Wein (Author)
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2013), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages
Collections:Currently reading

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (Anonymous user)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    In The Blood Of The Greeks: Intertwined Souls Series, Book 1 by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (300)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (302)
I picked this book up ages ago in an Audible sale, and finally got to it for the friendship prompt for Booked2018 challenge on Litsy.

Such a great story... well-written, filled with action, and totally heartbreaking. I love historical fiction, and WWII era stories are favorites of mine, so this was a perfect choice for me. Both narrators are really good as well! ( )
  sprainedbrain | May 13, 2018 |
There is something about WWII books that always appeals to me, a kind of dark attraction. It might have a lot to do with the fact I'm Jewish, and find myself drawn to these tales in horrified fascination. There is something intriguingly terrible to me in witnessing such undiluted human cruelty, thankfully through the shield of the pages of a book and not in stark reality. This book, then, has drawn me in with its subject matter alone, to begin with. Added to this is a precious bond of friendship between two very brave girls, a tale of fear and oppression and hopeless hope, and tragedy and tears and flying planes under the cover of dark. But above all, a tale of love. All this adds up to a story that I simply cannot resist. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
One word...AUGH! It took me literally a year (almost to the day) to finish this book. I love historical fiction especially ones set in WWII era. I was excited about the concept, but once I started reading...it failed to keep my attention. I put it down, then pick it up and read a bit, and put it down again.....a never ending cycle until I finally finished it. When I did finish it I was not satisfied. It felt more like a chore than something I enjoyed. I do not enjoy giving a book a poor review, but honestly, I was disappointed, and am not planning on reading the follow up book 'Rose Under Fire' because I cringe at the thought of going through that again. :-(
  JulianaRobertson | Mar 28, 2018 |
The narrating on this audiobook is top notch! I don't know why I am drawn to so much historical fiction about WWII. Code Name Verity offered a different point of view than anything I've read before. I enjoyed the fresh story, I'd recommend this one for sure! ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
This going on my top ten for the year. May well be in my top ten of all time. Just completely, astonishingly, amazingly fantastic. ( )
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around her, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory—hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)

During World War II, a female civilian pilot and a female espionage agent form an unbreakable bond of friendship even as they find their lives threatened in Occupied France.
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,346,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible