Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Wein

Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:YA, Historical Novels, Espionage

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Recently added bystrongasanoak, private library, manlius, patchygirl, shsctclmc, pinkiesprout
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (keeneam)

English (193)  German (1)  All languages (194)
This was just fantastic as an audiobook. I loved listening to both girls' stories and marveled at how they interwove with one another. At a critical moment, I asked myself, "Did I miss that?? How could I miss that?" Wein accomplishes so much with the diary format. Bravo! ( )
  readerspeak | Sep 2, 2014 |
HERE BE SPOILERS.

Wow.

From the first page this is a harrowing tale by a broken torture victim confessing all. And then you start wondering (if that slyly oxymoronic title hadn't made you suspicious - which it hadn't me, because probably part of why I adore unreliable narrators so is because I'm so terrible at spotting them) if she isn't maybe resisting after all. And then you're trying to figure out what game she's playing because you can tell it's a good one, especially after the Crowning Moment of Awesome that is getting her interrogator to tell her his daughter's name.

And then in part two all becomes clear and it's increasingly obvious that this isn't a memoir of doom, it's a spy caper. And it's good and fun and full of hope for a happy reunion and many more adventures.

And then "Kiss me, Hardy!" and oh my god you spend the rest of the book bawling your eyes out. ( )
  zeborah | Aug 24, 2014 |
I always say I don't like historical fiction and then I always like the ones I read. I always learn a lot as well. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
RGG: Very confusing story about a friendship between a female pilot and a female spy in WWII German-occupied France. The amount of contextual knowledge needed about war-time England and France maye be too much for most students. The story does become compelling if one makes sense of it and sticks with it. Reading Level: YA+
  rgruberexcel | Aug 18, 2014 |
Amazing book about two heroic women - a pilot and a spy - during World War II. Our narrator is captured and interrogated by the Nazis when she is dropped into France on a mission. She tells her story as part of her deal. While fictional, it gives a taste of women's roles during the war. Highly recommended. ( )
  hoosgracie | Aug 14, 2014 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"

Official Book Trailer

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in "Verity's" own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test...
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,804,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible