Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Wein

Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:YA, Historical Novels, Espionage

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

2012 (21) 2013 (47) audiobook (17) aviation (16) ebook (30) England (61) espionage (86) fiction (133) France (99) French Resistance (37) friendship (106) historical (54) historical fiction (197) Kindle (16) library (15) Nazis (53) pilots (57) read in 2012 (16) read in 2013 (20) spy (118) teen (30) to-read (120) torture (41) war (43) women (17) women pilots (24) WWII (278) YA (120) young adult (126) young adult fiction (24)
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (keeneam)

English (166)  German (1)  All languages (167)
So, I didn't finish this one. I just could NOT get into it at all. Marking it as "read" and filing under "abandoned indefinitely."
  Johanna_Talbott | Apr 7, 2014 |
I wasn't as blown away or wowed by this book as some people were. Yes this was a really good book but when I finished it I didn't feel overwhelming emotion and connection that I usually feel from a great book. This was advertised as a "mind game of a novel" and I just kept waiting for something that would blow my mind and while there were some great twists I wouldn't really call it a mind game of a novel.

Geez that first paragraph makes me seem like I hated it, but I didn't, I just feel like it couldn't live up to all the hype I had seen. This was a really good book that was beautifully written with characters that you can't help but fall in love with and hope that they somehow make it through this situation that they are in.

I loved that one of the two main girls of this book was code named Verity. You don't really understand how that really connects into everything until part two of the book. The first part of the book was all about Verity and telling her truth to her interrogators. She tells them her truth but is it really the truth that they want?

I loved Verity's (I will call her by her code name even though she goes by many names in this book) friendship with Maddie (she also goes by a few names throughout this book but I will be using her real name). These girls develop an extremely strong friendship while doing their efforts for the war and once they become separated you see just how far they will go to protect each other. I enjoyed getting to read both of their sides to this story.

The events towards the end were heartbreaking. Honestly I had been hoping for this big ending that would magically become a happy ending but that is not what happened. It was actually a bittersweet ending and I thought I would have been sobbing but I wasn't. I am surprised that this was a young adult book because there are some pretty horrific events in this. I would recommend this book to people who like WWII historical fiction. ( )
  dpappas | Mar 19, 2014 |
This book is divided into two parts, each told by a strong, brave, young woman doing her part to fight the Nazis in WWII. They are the best of friends. Julie, aka Verity, is a spy and an interrogator and Maddie is a pilot. Verity tells the first part of the story through information she is divulging to her Nazi captors via journal writing. She retells the saga of how she arrived in the unfortunate state as a tortured POW. The second part has Maddie telling of the same period of time from her perspective. It is a very clever and unusual style.
The beginning is a bit heavy on airplane and pilot information. I almost didn’t continue on…but if you get through, a suspenseful and riveting story plays out. It doesn’t feel YA to me, but may appeal to those who are into historical fiction. It kind of reminds me of The Book Thief, in some ways. ( )
  dinelson | Mar 17, 2014 |
Made a DNF shelf just for this book. I can understand why it's gotten so many good reviews -- the writing is excellent and I loved the voice of the characters, but I just could not get into the story. At all. I made it about 100 pages in, which I think is a pretty fair try. Planes just do not interest me, sorry.
  abookishcorner | Mar 4, 2014 |
Loved it. What a haunting story but such a well crafted narrative. Recommended for ages 14+. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 27, 2014 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"

Official Book Trailer

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in "Verity's" own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test...
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,407,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible