Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Wein

Member:EuronerdLibrarian
Title:Code Name Verity
Authors:Elizabeth Wein
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: First American Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Teens
Rating:**
Tags:world war ii, historical fiction, friendship, strong female, torture, mercy killing, spies, espionage, nazis, gestapo, war, aviation, planes, pilots, french resistance, gr9, gr10, gr11, gr12

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (Anonymous user)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    In The Blood Of The Greeks: Intertwined Souls Series, Book 1 by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (269)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (271)
Was not thrilled with this book. I admit I am a YA - TEEN reader for my 6th graders and this was not really a book i would suggest. I do believe in the strong women roles in this book and its description of torture and rape were over whelming vivid, but this story was not for me. ( )
  MrNattania | Sep 5, 2016 |
This book has been recommended to me by so many people, I'm ashamed to say I've only now finally read it. I also found out it's part of a sort of series now (apparently all good YA has to be part of a series now). But I'm interested to find out what the next book(s) in the series are about, given what happens to the characters in this one.

it's a fictionalized historical account of women pilots and women spies during World War II. We get glimpses into their work and into the culture of the time by getting to know the two main characters in this book intimately. The entire book is presented as a series of journal entries from these two characters. So sometimes you have to let your imagination fill in the blanks regarding what has happened between entries. Other times it's described in great, painful detail.

The book opens when the plane the two young women are in together are shot out of the sky. One is captured by the enemy, the other (we find out later) died in the crash. To keep herself alive, the woman must tell all her secrets, which she does in the form of a story she gives to her captors. And through that narrative, we get to know the characters so well. We get to know her so well also, based on what she spends time talking about (her dear friend, the pilot) and what she doesn't. The reader is left to guess how much of the story is true. We see her suffering, hear her complaints. We see her will broken but her love for her friend and loyalty to her home (Scotland!) shine through. But we also see her spilling it all right there on the paper. It isn't until later that, as a reader, you start to question every single little thing. There are plenty of plot twists (some of which are obvious, others much less so). But you get to see the war through several unique perspectives here, and you really come to admire the complexities and bravery of the main characters. ( )
  katekintail | Sep 3, 2016 |
  JeffreyNattania | Aug 29, 2016 |
I listened to the audio version of this book and it made a great read into an amazing one. Loved the job the narrated did with Scottish and English accents and she added so much emotion it was hard not to tear up at certain parts. So far as the actual story goes, this was so expertly crafted and researched it amazes me. The plot twists were more akin to a good mystery novel than historical fiction and I loved every minute of this book. ( )
  readlifeaway | Aug 21, 2016 |
:'( ( )
  doryfish | Aug 15, 2016 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around here, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory—hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in "Verity's" own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test...
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,108,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible