Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Wein

Member:EuronerdLibrarian
Title:Code Name Verity
Authors:Elizabeth Wein
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: First American Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Teens
Rating:**
Tags:world war ii, historical fiction, friendship, strong female, torture, mercy killing, spies, espionage, nazis, gestapo, war, aviation, planes, pilots, french resistance, gr9, gr10, gr11, gr12

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (Anonymous user)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    In The Blood Of The Greeks: Intertwined Souls Series, Book 1 by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (284)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (286)
Good but heartbreaking. Good example of unreliable narrator done right, with a sneaky spy twist. I did wonder why some of the text was underlined, but chalked it up to weird ebook formatting. The second part of the book (the straightforward part, by Maddie) reveals that the first part ("the truth") is full of Julie's clever doublespeak. I missed most of it on the first reading. If this weren't so depressing I'd go back to the first part and re-read.

But it's so sad. I have to go lie down now. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
October 11, 1943, a British spy plane crashes in occupies France. The pilot and passenger are best friends. The pilot manages to get away; the spy soon finds her in a Nazi prison. She is given little hope and is told to reveal her mission or suffer a grossly death. As she writes her tale of how she came to be in France, she is struggling to find a way to survive. ( )
  creighley | Jun 18, 2017 |
The story opens with Verity, a secret agent sent to Occupied France by the British, being held prisoner by the Gestapo during World War II. After being tortured for weeks, Verity struck a deal which allowed her to regain a modicum of civility but which also included having her write all she knew about the Royal Air Force (RAF) and her role with the British.

As Verity’s story unfolds we meet Maddie, a rare female pilot in the RAF who became Verity’s best friend. As their stories of bravery, friendship, and survival in the midst of fear and the unknown are revealed, readers will be hard pressed to keep their tears and emotions in check.

“Code Name Verity” won the Michael L. Printz Honor Award in 2013, given by YALSA (the Young Adult Library Services Association). It also was listed on the 2013 YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults Top Ten list, and won numerous other awards. All are well deserved.

Highly recommended for ages 16 and older, including Adults.

Book review link: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2017/04/09/code-name-verity-verity-1-elizabeth-wein/ ( )
  sunshinealma | Apr 9, 2017 |
While this is a work of fiction, it could very well have happened. Set in England and occupied France during World War II, it starts off with a wireless operator who has been captured in a town in France in one of the most stupid ways: she looked the wrong way while crossing the street, right in front of SS Officers. Through a mix-up of some kind, she did not have her false papers on her, but her own real papers and those of Maddie, a female pilot who had flown her into France the other night and made her parachute out because the plane was malfunctioning and she was going to have to crash land. She is told that the pilot is dead and shown pictures of the burnt up plane. The head of the Gestapo prison, SS-Hauptsurmfuher von Linden, gives her the privileges of having her clothes back, piece by piece, for each wireless code she gives them. He then asks that she write down everything she knows about locations, planes, etc... Instead, this young Scotts woman, nicknamed Queenie, tells the story of her friendship with Maddie.

Maddie, right before the war, rescues a female pilot who crash lands in a field where she lives. Maddie is really quite good with engines but dreams of being a pilot. This woman, one of the top pilots, gives her some lessons and promises her, later, after the war starts, that when the military opens up positions for female pilots to ferry people and planes around, she will be at the top of her list to recommend. For a while, Maddie works with the WAAF as a radio operator helping pilots to land planes. She is an excellent navigator and knows the terrain very well from flying. One day a German pilot calls in to make a landing in Calais. He's speaking in German, so it takes a moment to figure out what is going on. It turns out that when the pilot crossed the Thames, he thought he was crossing the English Channel and was now in France. Maddie quickly calls for a German translator and Queenie shows up. Calmly, she gives the directions in perfect German that Maddie gives to her to help the pilot land and be taken in by the RAF.

The two women quickly become best friends and because of this incident, Maddie is now being sent to the Air Transport Auxiliary and Queenie (who got her nickname because she is distant royalty, related to William Wallace and Mary Stuart) joins the Special Operations Executive. Though neither one is supposed to talk about what they do, one night after coming in late at night, Queenie, covered in bruises, confesses to what happened. She is really working for the SOE as an interrogator. She pretends to be a German officer grilling the German pilots who have just been shot down or captured and get information out of them. This one, in particular, became very violent with her, but she prevailed in the end.

Linden is surprised to learn this about her because he thought this person was a legend. After running out of hotel stationary (the Gestapo Prison is located in a hotel) she is given various pieces of paper to write on, including sheet music, recipe cards, and a Jewish doctor's prescription pad. The Germans have her go on an American woman's pro-German propaganda show to attest to the fair treatment she is receiving there. The others in the prison, mostly French resistance, hate her for giving in to the enemy. But what is she really giving them? She is also shackled to a chair with an iron rod strapped to her back and is tortured with cigarettes, kerosene, and a carbolic acid wash in her mouth. She tells him her real name which is Lady Julia Lindsay MacKenzie Wallace Beaufort-Stuart, but not her code name, or anybody else's code name. She insists on finishing her report before they take her to a concentration camp where she will be experimented on until she dies.

But that is only half of the story, from her point of view. There is also Maddie's take on events and the story of what is really going on--what Queenie is not telling us. Queenie's brother James (she has a total of five other siblings, all at work in the war effort) suffered from frostbite and lost his toes and bits of his fingers, so he quit flying fighter planes and instead went to work for the Civilians, like Maddie. It his idea that Maddie takes Queenie to France that night since there was no one else to do so, even though it could get both of them in trouble.

There is quite a cast of incredible characters in this novel. Brave souls from Britain fighting to beat Hitler and the French resistance risking the lives of not just themselves, but their families to help. These women overcame prejudice about what women are capable of doing and they did so without much acknowledgment from the government. These women were incredible and this story bears that out in spades. As they say about good movies: you'll laugh and you'll cry. You will also not be disappointed in this amazing book.

Quotes
There’s no efficient way to kill yourself with a dressmaker’s pin (I wouldn’t call contacting gangrene an efficient way to kill yourself)..
--Elizabeth Wein (Code Name Verity p 62)

It’s like being in love, discovering your best friend.
--Elizabeth Wein (Code Name Verity p 68)

Some of us still have not forgiven the English for the Battle of Culloden , the last battle to be fought on British soil, in 1746. Imagine what we will say about Adolph Hitler in two hundred years.
--Elizabeth Wein (Code Name Verity p 118)

The man I interviewed that night didn’t believe in me. He accused me of treachery. Treason against the Fatherland—what was I doing working for the enemy, the English? He called me a collaborator, a backstabber, a filthy English whore. You know—the stupid man’s big mistake was in calling me ENGLISH. It made my fury wholly convincing. A whore—maybe I’ll consider that in desperation; filthy, it goes without saying; but whatever else the hell I am, I AM NOT ENGLISH.
--Elizabeth Wein (A Scottish SOE Agent pretending to be a German Agent in order to got Intel) Code Name Verity p 163

Have taken Paul’s revolver apart and put it back together 7 times. It is not as interesting as a radial engine.
--Elizabeth Wein (Code Name Verity p 220)

This ink is amazing, it really doesn’t smear even when you cry on it.
--Elizabeth Wein (Code Name Verity p 228) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Mar 6, 2017 |
A heart-wrenchingly beautiful story. I highly recommend this to everyone. ( )
  NanaDebbie | Feb 25, 2017 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around her, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory—hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in "Verity's" own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test...
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,201,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible