Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Wein

1,8031973,884 (4.35)241
Member:EuronerdLibrarian
Title:Code Name Verity
Authors:Elizabeth Wein
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: First American Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Teens
Rating:**
Tags:world war ii, historical fiction, friendship, strong female, torture, mercy killing, spies, espionage, nazis, gestapo, war, aviation, planes, pilots, french resistance, gr9, gr10, gr11, gr12

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (keeneam)

English (196)  German (1)  All languages (197)
Maddie is captured by the Germans in World War II and is given a choice. She has to either give up secrets or be killed. She decides to give up secrets even though she knows this will endanger her friends and comrades in their fight to resist. This story takes you through Maddie's betrayal as she shares information and insight into the Resistance and its activities. Never really hit me with that "had to keep reading" feeling but a good story for history lovers. Surprise ending catches you. ( )
  alsparks324 | Sep 30, 2014 |
Great book. I love the blend of history, learning about how women pilots were used to move plans around Britain . This was a very entertaining read. Well done. ( )
  tinkermn | Sep 29, 2014 |
This is an incredible story of friendship featuring two strong female characters. The story takes place during WWII in Nazi-occupied France, and both female characters hold positions that were difficult for women to achieve - spy plane pilot and spy.

My public library created a display that featured the 2013 Teens' Top Ten checkouts, and CODE NAME VERITY is number 1. I found it to be a truly refreshing read for a young adult novel -- it's historical fiction and doesn't feature vampires, werewolves, teen angst, or any kind of love triangle!

Two of my favorite quotes:
“It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.”

“I am no longer afraid of getting old. Indeed I can't believe I ever said anything so stupid. So childish. So offensive and arrogant.
But mainly, so very, very stupid. I desperately want to grow old.” ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
This was just fantastic as an audiobook. I loved listening to both girls' stories and marveled at how they interwove with one another. At a critical moment, I asked myself, "Did I miss that?? How could I miss that?" Wein accomplishes so much with the diary format. Bravo! ( )
  readerspeak | Sep 2, 2014 |
HERE BE SPOILERS.

Wow.

From the first page this is a harrowing tale by a broken torture victim confessing all. And then you start wondering (if that slyly oxymoronic title hadn't made you suspicious - which it hadn't me, because probably part of why I adore unreliable narrators so is because I'm so terrible at spotting them) if she isn't maybe resisting after all. And then you're trying to figure out what game she's playing because you can tell it's a good one, especially after the Crowning Moment of Awesome that is getting her interrogator to tell her his daughter's name.

And then in part two all becomes clear and it's increasingly obvious that this isn't a memoir of doom, it's a spy caper. And it's good and fun and full of hope for a happy reunion and many more adventures.

And then "Kiss me, Hardy!" and oh my god you spend the rest of the book bawling your eyes out. ( )
  zeborah | Aug 24, 2014 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"

Official Book Trailer

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in "Verity's" own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test...
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible