Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Wein

Member:EdGoldberg
Title:Code Name Verity
Authors:Elizabeth Wein
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: First American Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:WW II, Verity, Kittyhawk, France, Nazis

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (keeneam)

English (188)  German (1)  All languages (189)
It's only July, but this is definitely going to be on my top 10 books of the year. Brilliant historic fiction about two British women, one a pilot, the other a passenger, who both get stranded in Nazi-occupied France. The story is about best friends, sacrifice, bravery, and despair and I loved it. I just can't describe the impact this book left on me and how the characters have still stayed with me. I definitely recommend this to EVERYONE. Kiss me Hardy! ( )
  jmoncton | Jul 27, 2014 |
Although Moven Christie and Lucy Gaskell did a fine job with the narration, the tone of the (written) narrative jarred on me given the content. I also hated the "poor cowardly traitor" stuff. Very disappointing. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 15, 2014 |
I wish I could meet Queenie...wait, what do you mean she isn't real? Awesome characters and a great plot twist kept me up late finishing this one! ( )
  kimpiddington | Jul 10, 2014 |
I very rarely read YA, and when I do I find myself trying to rate the books through the eyes of a teenager. There are books that as an adult I did not connect with for one reason or another but as a teen loved or would have loved. A perfect example is Catcher in the Rye. It became my favorite book when I read it in 8th grade, and remained my favorite book through many successive re-reads. Then I tried to read it 20 or so years after my last go-round, and I could not even finish. I picked this audiobook up because an online community of which I am very pleased to be a member (Go Fug Nation!) started a book group and this is the first book we are reading. I mention all that because it is important to know I started this book expecting not to like it. My expectations were dashed: I loved this adventure story, and the underlying tale of female friendship. Since I listened to this I will note that the narration of Morven Chirstie and Lucy Gaskell is consistently excellent.

I don't want to say much about the book as almost everything seems like a spoiler. I will say the story occurs in two parts with separate narrators. Those narrators are best friends and work together as two of the first women British officers. Their plane is shot down over France. One character is taken prisoner by the Gestapo, and the other finds herself in a very different but equally potentially deadly situation. Both write their stories as truthfully as their situations allow. Together, by the end, the reader has a very good idea of the true story. I won't say more. The book is exciting, compelling, excruciatingly tragic and exquisitely beautiful. Though definitely directed at female readers I am handing this off to my teenage son, who is very traditionally boyish in his literary tastes (violence and fart jokes always welcome) and I am pretty sure he will like it a great deal. Highly recommended. ( )
  Narshkite | Jul 4, 2014 |
I liked the style of the book, but it was just too slow. The ending did make it somewhat better, but it did not live up to the reviews of being a riveting thriller, page-turner, etc. ( )
  marielreads | Jun 20, 2014 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"

Official Book Trailer

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in "Verity's" own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test...
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible