Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Wein (Author)

Member:MaowangVater
Title:Code Name Verity
Authors:Elizabeth Wein (Author)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Female friendship, Fiction, France, History, German occupation, 1940-1945, Germany. Geheime Staatspolizei, Great Britain, 1936-1945, Spy stories, Women air pilots, World War, Aerial operations, British, Prisoners and prisons, German, Underground movements

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (Anonymous user)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    In The Blood Of The Greeks: Intertwined Souls Series, Book 1 by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (280)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (282)
This story is told in two distinct parts by two different narrators. It begins in 1943 France with our first narrator being held by the Gestapo and instructed to write out a list of radio codes in exchange for the cessation of Gestapo torture. I struggled with the first part of the book because I don't know very much about plane jargon and codes and the jumping back and forth in time was a bit confusing. Before long I was completely immersed in the story of two friends, one a pilot for the Air Transport Auxiliary and the other a Scottish aristocrat working as a spy for Special Operations.

Once our first narrator, whose name is unclear from the beginning, finishes her story our second narrator, Maddie, begins hers. She also tells her story in a back and forth in time narrative, filling in many of the blank spots in Part One. The second half of the book is incredibly absorbing and now everything we learned in the first half starts to make more sense. We meet characters in the first part and then discover their true roles in the second.

This is a difficult book to review because I don't want to accidentally give away any of the plot ahead of time. One of the best parts of the story is how everything is carefully unraveled to reveal what really happens. The characters were beautifully written. This was a masterfully told story of friendship, survival and courage and I highly recommend it to fans of WW2 historical fiction. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 10, 2017 |
This was a very interesting story of ATA and RAF women during WWII in German occupied France. I was in Germany and France last year in a river cruise. We saw historical sites and learned about WWII. Better than the classroom. A story of women friendships ( )
  NanaDebs | Jan 9, 2017 |
That was Literature. Not a teen novel (although it's generally shelved/used as a teen novel), but Literature through and through.

It starts as a simple enough story. Verity has been captured by the Gestapo and been tortured by them. The story picks up after she makes a deal. She'll give them codes for the wireless sets that the Germans found in the plane that she crashed in, and they'll give her a paper to write out the rest of everything she knows. Oh, and they won't kill her right then or make her drink Kerosene. It's a quite rambling story, but there's enough of a structure that once you get into its flow the narrative makes sense.

The second part of the book is told from Maddie's point of view, and is done in a much more 'regular' way. Both sections are in a diary-like format, but in the first part there are interesting ways that the author approaches how she writes the characters.

It's an amazingly woven story, I think the epitome of what a story is supposed to be. There are no loose threads or hanging chads in this story, and four or five times, I read something in the second part of the book and did a double take and flipped back to the first part of it so that I could read Verity's scene again with new eyes. The thought that popped into my head about three-fourths of the way through was 'Wow, the Da Vinci code for teens'. There was only one problem with that thought through, by the end I realized that I thought this novel was vastly better written/constructed than The Da Vinci Code, and so much subtler. You have to pay attention and think to read it (A lot of times, reading media tie-ins or the more popular and general fiction there isn't much thinking involved). And to really appreciate the book the reader needs to read between the lines too.

I do have to say that it was a bit hard for me to get through it, not because it was bad, but, it was just so darn intense that I had to put it down a few times and take a break. Even its intensity was complicated. It was intense, torture, death, war, and yet it was also a weirdly detached narrative too. It was a jarring combination, but it definitely worked, and at the end when everything was coming together I couldn't have put it down if you paid me. Awesome, just awesome. Everyone, teen and above should read this! ( )
1 vote DanieXJ | Dec 20, 2016 |
24/2014

Holy hell. That was wrenching. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
this book is brilliant! (more to come) ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around here, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory—hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in "Verity's" own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test...
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,820,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible