Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Wein

Member:MaowangVater
Title:Code Name Verity
Authors:Elizabeth Wein (Author)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Female friendship, Fiction, France, History, German occupation, 1940-1945, Germany. Geheime Staatspolizei, Great Britain, 1936-1945, Spy stories, Women air pilots, World War, Aerial operations, British, Prisoners and prisons, German, Underground movements

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Recently added bydavidgn, KS_Library, KirSio, private library
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    In the Blood of the Greeks by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (229)  German (1)  All languages (230)
I'm not giving up on this one, because I really do feel like this is a story that will resonate with me and the narrator is lovely, but I'm just not in the right mood for it at the moment. I'm not bailing, just 'pausing' for a bit.
  KirSio | Aug 31, 2015 |
This is a another page turner, and it’s historical fiction. It’s well crafted, highly entertaining and I learned a bit about piloting. In a theoretical way, of course. Its as much about friendship as it is about World War Two. This is another book I stayed up til one a.m. reading. 7th grade and up. ( )
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
This book is listed as Teen or Young Adult; this is just as interesting to any adult! It should be listed as "Fiction" with no age limiting category.

WWII England, RAF, French Resistance, evil Gestapo, women in war time jobs, and most importantly, strong women doing nearly impossible things.

I'm waiting for the movie... ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Simply amazing! Tightly woven, full of adventure and intrigue, plenty of fact mixed in, appealing to all ages, this is one of the best WWII fictions I have ever read. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jul 3, 2015 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around here, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory - hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in "Verity's" own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test...
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,124,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible