Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Wein

Member:MaowangVater
Title:Code Name Verity
Authors:Elizabeth Wein (Author)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Female friendship, Fiction, France, History, German occupation, 1940-1945, Germany. Geheime Staatspolizei, Great Britain, 1936-1945, Spy stories, Women air pilots, World War, Aerial operations, British, Prisoners and prisons, German, Underground movements

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    In the Blood of the Greeks by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (224)  German (1)  All languages (225)
She's been captured in Nazi-occupied France and knows the outcome will be the same no matter what she does: in just a matter of weeks they will shoot her. It's what they do to enemy agents and she's a member of the British military.

If she cooperates, though, gives them all she can remember about the British War Effort, they'll continue to give her all the paper she wants or needs to write her story down on. The story that led to her plane, the one flown by Maddie, crashing, her being captured, Maddie somewhere and now this story being told . . . She may be a traitor but she's going to stay alive and finish writing her story - the one that starts wit Maddie, her friend and a brilliant pilot.

I hate when books that everyone else (or it seems like everyone else) loves, just don't work for me. Code Name Verity was getting such fantastic reviews - from publications as well as bloggers and authors - that I was thrilled when it was offered on NetGalley.*

I tend to really enjoy historical fiction including YA and MG historical fiction. That it was set during World War II and about the role girls - and women - had in the war effort aside from being nurses (the way everyone already knows they were involved).

Part One of Verity is told through the story the main character, the one captured and held prisoner by the Nazis, is writing for her captors. She does not have a name for a large portion of that telling so she won't here, either. She tells of Maddie, how she got into flying and how they met.

Her tale is told through little glimpses or anecdotes that give us the basic ideas of how a got to b to c but not a lot of interaction between different characters and not a lot of action. The way the story was told made it hard for me to get into Verity or connect with the characters. It was a very slow read for me.

Something about the way this story was told was just not for me. The premise was interesting - I loved the idea of the girl's friendship, seeing what they would be allowed to do given the time period and what would actually happened to the captured character - but it just didn't align for me.

Whatever was keeping me a bit disconnected from the story, kept me also from really seeing their great friendship. It was an interesting story to me but that was about it.

I did like Part II more, but I think that was because it was more continuous storyline as well as the fact that a lot had already been established in Part I.

Check Goodreads for reviews from lots of people who did connect with the book and loved it!

BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I didn't think I'd like this book, but I loved it! And I loved that the main characters were strong women. It doesn't seem like a YA book to me, though. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around here, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory - hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in "Verity's" own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test...
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,856,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible