Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Wein

Member:MaowangVater
Title:Code Name Verity
Authors:Elizabeth Wein (Author)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Female friendship, Fiction, France, History, German occupation, 1940-1945, Germany. Geheime Staatspolizei, Great Britain, 1936-1945, Spy stories, Women air pilots, World War, Aerial operations, British, Prisoners and prisons, German, Underground movements

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Recently added bymelindapearl, rillaJP, private library, sue222, arena555, dorothean, Cargm, 221E, Hellen0
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (Anonymous user)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    In The Blood Of The Greeks: Intertwined Souls Series, Book 1 by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (262)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (264)
I've had this one on my wishlist for a long time, since I first started reading very positive reviews here on LT. For the first chapter or two, I was wondering what the fuss was all about, but then the story and the characters caught hold of my imagination and didn't let go until I'd turned the final page. A working-class young woman from Manchester puts her passion for flying to good use with the Air Transport Auxiliary, helping the British military by ferrying planes and servicemen between bases. She forms an unlikely but unbreakable friendship with an aristocratic Scots woman whose war work takes an even more dangerous turn, serving as an espionage agent in Occupied France. Their stories remain intertwined through joy and tragedy. Author Wein tells the tale through each woman's viewpoint, developing layers upon layers of story and characterization. I ended up caring very much about Julie and Maddie, and was sorry to see the book come to an end. There is apparently a sequel, but it's hard to see how it could improve upon the original. ( )
1 vote rosalita | May 15, 2016 |
The story starts with a confession by a captured British spy, Verity. She and her friend Maddie were on a war mission and their plane gets crashed. Varity is captured and Maddie is left behind.
Varity tortured by Germans tells the secrets of British missions, but Germans doesn't much believe her. She tells the story of Maddie, her childhood as hers to the Germans to conceal her identity.
Maddie, on the other side is set to rescue her friend from Germans.
The book is mostly about two ladies who are utterly different and their loyal friendship to each other. The sections are narrated as the sequence of present , past and present.
Very lovely book which holds you even if the first section confuses a little bit,where as second section makes it all clear. ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
Two young British women, one a pilot (Maddie, aka Kittyhawk) and one a spy (Julie/Queenie, aka Verity), are shot down over Nazi-occupied France. The first half of the book is written from Queenie's point of view while being held prisoner. The second half is written from Maddie's point of view, while being sheltered by a French family & members of the Resistance. The young women are best friends, yet are not sure of each other's fates.

I put this book on my wishlist shortly after it was released due to all the great reviews I'd seen, but it only just recently made it up to the top of my reading pile. It's classified as a young adult book, but there are a lot of subtleties and well-crafted passages that I think might be more appreciated by an adult reader. The first portion of this book did not totally engage me as I had expected it to. I found myself slogging along in what should have been a pretty quick read, given the writing style and formatting. When I finally reached the story from Maddie's point of view, things began picking up and voila! -- it all started fitting together and making more sense, and then there was a sort of subtle brilliance about the whole story.

I'm not sure this quite lived up to what I had hyped it up to be prior to reading, but it was a good story, and as mentioned, it really needed the second half to make it all come together. It's one of those books where a second re-read might be in order to fully appreciate the whole thing. ( )
  indygo88 | Apr 22, 2016 |
I'm going to voice a strong opinion here and say this might be the best book I've read in the last couple years. The first half I thought was a little a show as I was reading through, but reaching the second, I just kept repeating, "this is so brilliant, this book is so brilliantly written." I loved it. ( )
  ajsteadman | Apr 20, 2016 |
This was a book that I did not find all that interesting, yet I had to know how it ended. I enjoyed Part 2 more than Part 1. ( )
  AmberKirbey | Mar 11, 2016 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around here, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory—hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in "Verity's" own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test...
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,896,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible