Code Name Verity by Elizabeth E. Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth E. Wein

1,7171904,134 (4.36)236
Member:pharrm
Title:Code Name Verity
Authors:Elizabeth E. Wein
Info:Disney Hyperion (2012), Kindle Edition, 354 pages
Rating:*****

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (keeneam)

English (188)  German (1)  All languages (189)
Although Moven Christie and Lucy Gaskell did a fine job with the narration, the tone of the (written) narrative jarred on me given the content. I also hated the "poor cowardly traitor" stuff. Very disappointing. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 15, 2014 |
I wish I could meet Queenie...wait, what do you mean she isn't real? Awesome characters and a great plot twist kept me up late finishing this one! ( )
  kimpiddington | Jul 10, 2014 |
I very rarely read YA, and when I do I find myself trying to rate the books through the eyes of a teenager. There are books that as an adult I did not connect with for one reason or another but as a teen loved or would have loved. A perfect example is Catcher in the Rye. It became my favorite book when I read it in 8th grade, and remained my favorite book through many successive re-reads. Then I tried to read it 20 or so years after my last go-round, and I could not even finish. I picked this audiobook up because an online community of which I am very pleased to be a member (Go Fug Nation!) started a book group and this is the first book we are reading. I mention all that because it is important to know I started this book expecting not to like it. My expectations were dashed: I loved this adventure story, and the underlying tale of female friendship. Since I listened to this I will note that the narration of Morven Chirstie and Lucy Gaskell is consistently excellent.

I don't want to say much about the book as almost everything seems like a spoiler. I will say the story occurs in two parts with separate narrators. Those narrators are best friends and work together as two of the first women British officers. Their plane is shot down over France. One character is taken prisoner by the Gestapo, and the other finds herself in a very different but equally potentially deadly situation. Both write their stories as truthfully as their situations allow. Together, by the end, the reader has a very good idea of the true story. I won't say more. The book is exciting, compelling, excruciatingly tragic and exquisitely beautiful. Though definitely directed at female readers I am handing this off to my teenage son, who is very traditionally boyish in his literary tastes (violence and fart jokes always welcome) and I am pretty sure he will like it a great deal. Highly recommended. ( )
  Narshkite | Jul 4, 2014 |
I liked the style of the book, but it was just too slow. The ending did make it somewhat better, but it did not live up to the reviews of being a riveting thriller, page-turner, etc. ( )
  marielreads | Jun 20, 2014 |
This book made me realized that I need to read an excerpt of the book before I get it as a galley. I tried hard to read the book with its miserable formatting so that I could raise some of my netgalley ratio but after several dozen attempts at it, the reading experience doesn't improve through time.

I love to read history and have read a lot of WW2-related books and watch a lot of WW2 movies throughout the years but this book was my first legit attempt to read YA Historical Fiction and it didn't end well for me. I'm not sure whether it was intentional or it was the author's style of writing but I genuinely had a problem with the immature teenage writing voice which seem pretty forced and very passive.

I have nothing against epistolary novels but I have a harder time believing the character and the plot. I have a continuous issues with badly done stream of consciousness but the fillers is dredging. Nobody have time to read unnecessary things. If I want to torture someone who is a writer to write something as a torture form, I probably made them watch me burn all of their writings and make them start all over again until they get the fillers out. By the way, was it supposedly a tribute to 1001 Night's Scheherazade?

But most of the problem I had with the novel was I didn't expect it to be just a story of best friends bonding in WW2 setting. I expected a WW2 spy novel with intelligent plot and intelligent characters with intrigue and maybe some genuine friendship but most of the time its not. Its a historical chic lit and most of the time it busied itself with the characters conflict more than the actual story aside with some infodumps. The descriptives can be uneven as the dialogues and frankly this book always made me feel old. It dragged you along the narratives and if you're not invested with the characters, you're doomed to series of DNFs attempts.

I was familiar with 1941 because that was the year when the Japanese Imperial Army occupied my country after they rain fire from up north and destroy lives and killed millions and the occupation ended on 1945 that the western hemisphere simply forgotten about it and conveniently forgotten the British army being left to die here too. So, I read a lot of WW2 stuff and really, it was a given to be extremely skeptical about a teenage-appropriated for teenage audience war story. Seriously, didn't we already have real teenage girls war story about them being a victim of war, sexual abused and suffer in every worst form possible that made the girls fates seems mild and trivial. Yes, there are some violence, torture and gore but if I think that was mild in war stories, you'd guess how unrealistic this book can be. And the dual narrative doesn't help too even with all the added twists.

I can learn to appreciate the novel as a medium for female aviators etc but if you don't have a background in aviation and not interested in them, its a lot harder to get interested in it with non-general descriptions. What made them interesting, the emotional values and what drive them to take the risk and have that interests and added experiences etc. Give the added informations meaningful and soulful or else all of the technical stuff no matter how it was genuinely authentic. I would do that too whenever I talk about medical science stuff. Make the information worth remembering rather than unnecessary waste of writing space.

Sometimes I wished if the book was as dark as its cover but I guess you have to please your chosen demographics. I don't think its a good YA book on the war (I recommend War Horse, The Book Thief, Anne Frank) and personally, if I was a teenager, I'm not sure I like it as it is. As far as the usual historical fiction goes, I rather see this story expressed in movies. It does have a good visual and cinematographic premises rather than a novel.

The ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
  aoibhealfae | Jun 2, 2014 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"

Official Book Trailer

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in "Verity's" own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test...
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible