Code Name Verity by Elizabeth E. Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth E. Wein

Member:pharrm
Title:Code Name Verity
Authors:Elizabeth E. Wein
Info:Disney Hyperion (2012), Kindle Edition, 354 pages
Rating:*****

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (Anonymous user)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    In The Blood Of The Greeks: Intertwined Souls Series, Book 1 by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (286)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (288)
For me, this was a Nancy Pearl rec and I was thrilled by the story and style. The strong, female characters are real (with real flaws and fears) yet they live passionately. Or maybe it's better to say, they live the way they want to, in a chaotic time. I think one character was fleshed out more. Also, their voices could have been made more different due to their origins. Yet, I still enjoyed both of their perspectives and understood neither was a trustworthy narrator.

The picture of WWII was real without being dreadfully explicit. The more gruesome elements of war are left to the imagination (which is sometimes worse than if graphically detailed). It paints a good picture of war's uncertainty: the lack status on friends and family, the outcome, how long the war will last etc. It also paints a real picture of heroic deeds. Most often heroes don't think of themselves as heroes, they do "what needs to be done" and only hindsight paints with heroism.

The writing perspective caused me confusion at first. Now, I realize it was an indicator of the writer's mental state.

I like novels that have elements, nonsensical at first and in the beginning, which are explained near the end. It's not that I don't puzzle over them initially but I don't want my understanding of the book's essence to get bogged down if I don't understand immediately. So I soldier on, even if I don't fully understand what's occurring. It's imperative then to have the unexplained explained near the end. This novel does wrap up well, not with a cliff hanger so much as an explanation of the shorthand writing style of the character. This revelation makes the novel and character so much richer. ( )
  HunyBadger | Jul 6, 2017 |
Walked away from this one. I read the reviews saying stick with it for an amazing ending that had to be alluded to because of spoilers. life's too short for me to suffer thru this crappy beginning for that potential payoff. the flip voice of narrator was so unrealistic and annoying. and the idea she'd be writing her memoir as her confession to the Nazis? puhleaze. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
Good but heartbreaking. Good example of unreliable narrator done right, with a sneaky spy twist. I did wonder why some of the text was underlined, but chalked it up to weird ebook formatting. The second part of the book (the straightforward part, by Maddie) reveals that the first part ("the truth") is full of Julie's clever doublespeak. I missed most of it on the first reading. If this weren't so depressing I'd go back to the first part and re-read.

But it's so sad. I have to go lie down now. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
October 11, 1943, a British spy plane crashes in occupies France. The pilot and passenger are best friends. The pilot manages to get away; the spy soon finds her in a Nazi prison. She is given little hope and is told to reveal her mission or suffer a grossly death. As she writes her tale of how she came to be in France, she is struggling to find a way to survive. ( )
  creighley | Jun 18, 2017 |
The story opens with Verity, a secret agent sent to Occupied France by the British, being held prisoner by the Gestapo during World War II. After being tortured for weeks, Verity struck a deal which allowed her to regain a modicum of civility but which also included having her write all she knew about the Royal Air Force (RAF) and her role with the British.

As Verity’s story unfolds we meet Maddie, a rare female pilot in the RAF who became Verity’s best friend. As their stories of bravery, friendship, and survival in the midst of fear and the unknown are revealed, readers will be hard pressed to keep their tears and emotions in check.

“Code Name Verity” won the Michael L. Printz Honor Award in 2013, given by YALSA (the Young Adult Library Services Association). It also was listed on the 2013 YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults Top Ten list, and won numerous other awards. All are well deserved.

Highly recommended for ages 16 and older, including Adults.

Book review link: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2017/04/09/code-name-verity-verity-1-elizabeth-wein/ ( )
  sunshinealma | Apr 9, 2017 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around her, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory—hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in "Verity's" own words, as she writes her account for her captors. Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test...
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,061,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible