Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (edition 2013)

by Elizabeth Wein

Member:AMooreWriter
Title:Code Name Verity
Authors:Elizabeth Wein
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2013), Paperback, 368 pages

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Recently added bymmorrison61, private library, rena75, parttimedomestic, Cecily839, kd_lawson, danfango, Embarquer
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (amysisson)
    amysisson: Both are about the unusual ways in which women may impact the tides of war
    Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal by Mal Peet (faither)
    Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction by Sharyn November (Herenya)
    Herenya: Firebirds Soaring contains "Something Worth Doing" (by Wein) about Theo, a pilot and minor character from Code Name Verity.
    Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (rarm)
    rarm: Set on opposite sides of the pond, but both are about wartime aviatrices and wonderfully depict female friendship.
    Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (Anonymous user)
    The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    In The Blood Of The Greeks: Intertwined Souls Series, Book 1 by Mary D. Brooks (DanieXJ)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (keeneam)
    A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper (calmclam)
    calmclam: Both focus on girls in/around England adapting to the changing circumstances of World War II via their journals.
    Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these historical fiction novels are fast-paced, well researched accounts detailing the lives of strong-willed female narrators who struggle with complex moral issues. Both stories are character-driven, giving these important historical events a relatable, human face and voice.… (more)
    Violins of Autumn by Amy McAuley (saraOm7)
    saraOm7: These are both about teenage girls working as spies in France during WWII, though one has a much happier ending than the other.

English (313)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (315)
finished reading while in the car and trying not to cry in front of my hubby because this book has officially WRECKED me. ( )
  inescapableabby | Nov 28, 2018 |
This was my most recent audio book. The narrator is fabulous and the story is very suspenseful. It takes place during WWII and is about women doing extraordinary things. The story has two distinct narrators. The first half is one narrator and the second half is the other. The second narrator clarifies much of the first narrator's story. I kind of knew, but was so disappointed that this was fictional. It felt so real. I am sure there are many similar stories that are true though. It would be too easy to spoil this story. I will just say that within a very few minutes of beginning, I was wholly involved. Heart and head. Fabulous story. ( )
  nittnut | Nov 24, 2018 |
Code Verity was my work book club pick. I wish the writing was better because it could have been a good story. It is a YA novel about 2 young women in WWII, one who is a pilot and the other a spy. They have a crash landing in France where the spy is immediately caught. I found the dialogue difficult to follow and the plot dragged. ( )
  strandbooks | Oct 17, 2018 |
In 1943, a British spy plane crashes in Nazi occupied France. The pilot and its passenger are best friends, and now one has a chance at survival, while the other doesn't stand a chance, being arrested by the Gestapo while trying to carry out her mission. Now, Verity weaves an intricate confession for the Gestapo, telling the story of how her and Maddie became friends and how they ended up in France in the first place. Will her confession be enough to keep her alive in the enemies eyes?

At the beginning of the semester, I had read about this book on a blog somewhere, and the blogger was absolutely raving about it. She said once she finished, she wanted everyone else to read it just so she could discuss it with them. When the guest speaker came into class and also book-talked it, I was hooked. I knew that this was a book that I wanted to put on my list. And I'm glad I did. Wein has the reader hooked right from the beginning, jumping right into the story and hooking you with the voice of Verity. Verity is such a spunky character, and despite the fact that she has been tortured by Nazis and is most likely not going to survive her imprisonment, she is still witty and funny and fights back whenever she can. Reading her story gives you a different view of World War II, one that isn't used very often, if at all. Usually when WWII is talked about, it is from the Concentration Camps, or the Nazis, or something of like. Instead, it's told from women air force soldiers, who were very rare during this time, but existed none the less. I thought the way that Wein weaved the story, telling it from two different points of view, and the way that she had everything come together at the end was beautiful and very well written. Once I started reading it, I didn't want to put it down. This is definitely worthy of the Printz nomination that it was given.

As for a classroom, I think this book would definitely work well in a history class, because it does deal with WWII, and in a different way than other literature. It would especially work if there was a unit discussing women in the war, and their duties and such. This is a subject that isn't always touched on in history classes, and it would be a good way to give students this perspective. Overall, Code Name Verity is an excellent book, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in this period of history, or anyone interested in adventure/high action stories in general. ( )
  Amanda7 | Oct 12, 2018 |
I had no idea what this was about before I read it, and I'm glad I didn't because I would have skipped it if I had. I have been on a long break from WWII books, and I'm sick of books that switch POV, but I liked this! Bad ass women best friends? That was enough to get me. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
If you pick up this book, it will be some time before you put your dog-eared, tear-stained copy back down. Wein succeeds on three fronts: historical verisimilitude, gut-wrenching mystery, and a first-person voice of such confidence and flair that the protagonist might become a classic character if only we knew what to call her. Alternately dubbed Queenie, Eva, Katharina, Verity, or Julie depending on which double-agent operation she's involved in, she pens her tale as a confession while strapped to a chair and recovering from the latest round of Gestapo torture. The Nazis want the codes that Julie memorized as a wireless operator, and she supplies them, but along the way also tells of her fierce friendship with Maddie, a British pilot. Though delivered at knifepoint, Julie's narrative is peppered with dark humor and minor acts of defiance, and the tension that builds up is practically unbearable.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Daniel Kraus

Elizabeth Weinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christie, MorvenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaskell, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manger, WhitneyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
November, SharynEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Passive resisters must understand that they are as important as saboteurs." –SOE Secret Operations Manual, 'Methods of Passive Resistance'
For Amanda

we make a sensational team
I AM A COWARD. I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.
I have told the truth.
"Kiss me, Hardy!"
The soaring mountains rose around her, and the poets' waters glittered beneath her in the valleys of memory—hosts of golden daffodils, "Swallows and Amazons", Peter Rabbit. (p. 28)

During World War II, a female civilian pilot and a female espionage agent form an unbreakable bond of friendship even as they find their lives threatened in Occupied France.
Two girls, one friendship
we concealed in blood and ink.
I have told the truth. (octopedingenue)

In 1943, a British fighter plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France and the survivor tells a tale of friendship, war, espionage, and great courage as she relates what she must to survive while keeping secret all that she can.

Elizabeth Wein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,681,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible