Seeds of Discovery by Breeana Puttroff

Seeds of Discovery (edition 2011)

by Breeana Puttroff

Member:dorolerium
Title:Seeds of Discovery
Authors:Breeana Puttroff
Info:Musefish Independent Press (2011), Paperback, 270 pages
Rating:***

Seeds of Discovery (Dusk Gate Chronicles - Book One) by Breeana Puttroff

Recently added bymaxiesid, private library, E.A.Walsh, Debra_Burge, Mecaza, destinyisntfree, Terry_Mitchell

Seeds of Discovery is an amazing YA Novel that instantly drags you in with the mystery and suspense elements right from the beginning. I have yet to find a more artfully written novel that combines mystery with fantasy in my years of reading.

I never know what to expect from independent authors who are not represented by the large publishers. I came upon this book by accident, through contact with the author on a blogging site. When I sat down to read, my mind was a blank slate, trying to have no expectations whatsoever. What I discovered in this novel was beyond anything I could have imagined. Those of you who know me know how much I love a good fantasy story, but this one just put me over the top in my love for the genre.

Quinn is a girl who pretty much any teenage girl could relate to, and you are instantly drawn to her. But Quinn cannot leave a mystery unsolved and, in trying to figure out what secret William is hiding, she gets sucked into an adventure she could never have imagined in her wildest dreams. In a way, it is also a journey of self discovery, though that is not the obvious element of the story.

Quinn finds herself in a whole new world that she never knew existed, a whole new plane of existence, if you will. When she finally gets life to return to "normal," she finds herself torn between the boy she has known all of her life, and a group of strangers that, in the time frame of the "real world" she has only known for a day or so.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable read that I could not walk away from, and I found myself staying up late and foregoing sleep just to get to the end and find out what was going to happen next, only to realize that there are two more books, which I cannot wait to read. I would strongly encourage any fan of YA/Fantasy Fiction to pick this one up. It is a must read! ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
I will be completely honest when I say this; there wasn't anything particularly notable about this book.

Why did I give this book 3/5 stars, you ask?

Well, I loved the simplicity of this story. It was not complicated at all; it had a very simple story-line, which even action-lovers like me like to read once in a while. I was immediately hooked.

This story follows an ordinary girl, Quinn, who ends up in another world. A girl with no supernatural qualities, just a girl in high school. Most of the books I have read have these chicks with all these perfect qualities; there is something special about them, they are loved by all, are not afraid of anything, and to top it all off, they're strikingly beautiful. Now how are us readers supposed to relate to these kinds of characters? Quinn is so relatable, which made her likable from the start.

Quinn was a very sensible girl, and, unlike other heroines, is smart and has common sense. I like the way the author starts off the book with Quinn, like other normal teenagers, worrying about normal teenage issues. It makes, the readers, take an immediate liking to her.

Another aspect I loved: There was no "love at first sight" crap that most YA these days have.

I have to admit, my inner 5-year-old self squealed when I found out that there was going to be princes, princesses, kings, and queens. However, I wish the author described the setting more. The castles or the world in general weren't explained much. It would have gave this story more of a "fantasy" feel to it.

Most of the secondary characters were a bit flat. They weren't very unique; to me, they all seemed to have the same personality. That being said, Thomas and William were very well-written characters, and both three-dimensional.

I think that this series has plenty of room to grow into a captivating fantasy. There was just so many questions left unanswered, which naturally pikes my curiosity. For sure, I will be reading the rest of this series. ( )
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |
I just grabbed this book from Amazon FREE for Kindle! Hurry and grab it while this deal lasts! 10/30/2013
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
Not earth-shattering, but pretty enjoyable. This is the start of quite a long series - I think there are 4 books and then some sort of spin-off series. My daughter recommended it to me and it was a fun and easy read. I found it a little strange to have characters such as Abby, Zander, Annie and Owen introduced at the beginning and then not heard from again. I'm sure it was set-up for the next books, and they will be seen much more in the coming books. There was an over abundance of characters throughout the book, and there were times when I wasn't sure who they even were. However, I did like Quinn and I loved Thomas and the rest of the royal family. I think young teens will really enjoy this book.

Areas of concern: A man tries (unsuccessfully) to force a girl towards his bedroom. Children are sick and dying from a mysterious disease, but the mystery is mostly solved. All in all, a very clean read. ( )
  Bduke | Sep 3, 2013 |

Quinn Robbins becomes aware of a reclusive classmate, William Rose, who intrigues her by his secretive actions. While following him one night, she suddenly finds herself in another world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,908,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible