Seeds of Discovery by Breeana Puttroff

Seeds of Discovery (edition 2011)

by Breeana Puttroff

54None216,491 (3.57)None
Member:dorolerium
Title:Seeds of Discovery
Authors:Breeana Puttroff
Info:Musefish Independent Press (2011), Paperback, 270 pages
Rating:***

Seeds of Discovery (Dusk Gate Chronicles - Book One) by Breeana Puttroff

I just grabbed this book from Amazon FREE for Kindle! Hurry and grab it while this deal lasts! 10/30/2013
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
Not earth-shattering, but pretty enjoyable. This is the start of quite a long series - I think there are 4 books and then some sort of spin-off series. My daughter recommended it to me and it was a fun and easy read. I found it a little strange to have characters such as Abby, Zander, Annie and Owen introduced at the beginning and then not heard from again. I'm sure it was set-up for the next books, and they will be seen much more in the coming books. There was an over abundance of characters throughout the book, and there were times when I wasn't sure who they even were. However, I did like Quinn and I loved Thomas and the rest of the royal family. I think young teens will really enjoy this book.

Areas of concern: A man tries (unsuccessfully) to force a girl towards his bedroom. Children are sick and dying from a mysterious disease, but the mystery is mostly solved. All in all, a very clean read. ( )
  Bduke | Sep 3, 2013 |
Seeds of Discovery is the first novel in the Dusk Gate Chronicles. It is a charming and sweet fantasy series about a young girl who crosses over into another world. Filled with adventure, danger, mystery and a touch of romance this tale is sure to delight.

The tale begins when we meet Quinn Robbins. She is a sweet kid who has reoccurring dreams about flowers and a choice. Life is good and just got better because Zander Cunningham has asked her out. Things change when she almost hits a boy as he darts across the street into a ravine. At first it frightens her until she figures out it’s a quiet boy from school. His name is William Rose and he is a total recluse. She never really noticed him before, but now she is seeing him everywhere. With her curiosity peaked she begins observing him and even stalking him. When she sees him entering the ravine again she follows him..only he seems to disappear into thin air. Determined to find out where he goes she lays in wait and watches. He seems to cross a broken bridge and then zap out of existence. Bravely she follows him and discovers a strange new world. The tale that unfolds is magical, as she enters a land with princes and princesses. Here she makes friends and helps uncover clues about a mysterious illness. This was a fun, easy read that kept me entertained.

The characters are unique in Puttroff’s world. I liked Quinn. She is a good kid, inquisitive and thoughtful. William seems stand-offish but the more I got to know this serious and sensitive young man, the more I liked him. Thomas is charming and his sisters were delightful. Zander is sweet and is definitely interested in Quinn. While none of the other boys declared anything, I did feel Quinn and William make a connection and look forward to seeing what develops. Thankfully no insta-love here! I loved the character Alvin and the lesson he gave Quinn touched on her dreams. There were characters I loathed ..like the evil prince Tolliver. I am looking forward to learning more about all of them.

The world-building was enchanting. I loved the simplicity of the world Puttroff created and wouldn’t mine visiting there. We learned a little about the kingdom and its government. I enjoyed the naming ceremony that took place and of course the dancing. There is tension in the land, and there appear to be a few kingdoms. The history of how this occurred was fascinating. I am looking forward to returning. Aside from a few scenes the over all pace was slow, as Puttroff introduced us to the characters and world she created.

Seeds of Discovery was a delightful fantasy and I look forward to reading the next books available in the series. They are Roots of Insight and Thorns of Decisions.

I want to thank the author and Lightning Book Promotions for providing this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review.
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |
This introduction to the Dusk Gate Chronicles is a refreshingly calm teen novel that focuses on the fun element of the story and shows you a lovely alternate world that’s just different enough from our world to keep you engaged the whole time. I was entertained and intrigued from the start, wondering what was going to happen next with each character and situation.

Quinn is your average high school junior, going through school with the typical worries of a girl her age – is the cute guy going to ask her out, gossiping with her best friend, driving her siblings around. And then everything changes. I was thrown into a panic on her behalf when she found out she was stuck in William’s world for ten days…what would she say to her family and friends!? And forget about school work!

To read the rest of my review, please visit my blog. ( )
  dorolerium | Jan 23, 2013 |
Seeds of Discovery is a fantastic introduction into the world of Eirentheos. Ms Puttroff has a wonderful style of writing that takes the reader straight into the other world and follows along with Quinn Robin on her investigation into the mystery of William Rose. The contrasting worlds are in such vivid detail that the reader can picture it perfectly.

Quinn Robins is a typical teenager, going along her daily life until one afternoon after picking her little sister up from her carer, Quinn almost hits a boy she goes to school with, William Rose. The next minute she sees flashing hazard lights down the road and William is there. Parking she finds the car had crashed and William is attending to the man with a major head injury. Quinn helps William and then he disappears again.

Everywhere Quinn goes, she seems to see William. Almost every thought is about what William is doing and where he is going. She is so distracted her friends at school even notice. She is determined to find out where William goes and why. Driving home again she spots him walking along the side of the road, so she follows again, watching as he walks down by the river when her little sister gets out of the car, Quinn’s attention is taken away from William for all of 30 seconds and he has disappeared again.

In the meantime, picking Annie (Quinn’s little sister) up from her carer, Zander opens the door. They have been friends since they were toddlers and ever since Zander started high school, he shied away. But now, he is interested and asks Quinn out on a date to a party; Quinn is so excited.

With Quinn’s determination, she follows William one Friday afternoon. She has decided to find out once and for all what is going on and to never take her eyes off him. Following behind, she spots William down by the river again. Crouching behind a boulder, she watches at William walks up a couple of steps and then disappears. Quinn is confused and steps up to see if William somehow fell over the edge, but upon checking, she discovers he disappeared into another world, Eirentheos.

Quinn falls down the other side and into this new world. William is there to help her, but he is in shock that she actually followed him. Her leg is cut deeply and after walking for a bit, Quinn feels faint and nauseous, next everything is black. Quinn passes out and awakes in a castle.

Everything is so strange to Quinn, but it feels so familiar and comfortable at the same time. How can another world exist and why is William coming and going? Quinn gets little explanation and finds out she is stuck for 10 days in Eirentheos; the gate doesn’t open again until Sunday evening. Quinn is disoriented, but there is nothing she can do about it now.

Quinn gets entertained by William’s family; she goes on an adventure and helps investigate a mystery, an illness that is plaguing the townsfolk in a village not too far from the Castle. Quinn discovers that this world, without technology, without modern medicine, is such a beautiful and unique place, how will she ever be able to return home untouched?

What will happen with her relationship with Zander? Can she still act normal once she returns home? Will they solve the mystery of the illness that is spreading? How will her relationship with William change once they go home?

I fell in love with this new world that Breeana Puttroff created. The Castle, William’s family antics and Thomas (William’s brother) being the funny light hearted character that he is, brings everything together and makes one awesome adventure story. This book has everything, laughter, family fun, teenage romance, adventure, action, mystery and magic. I highly recommend this series to everyone that loves a fantasy. ( )
  ktu35114 | Oct 27, 2012 |

Quinn Robbins becomes aware of a reclusive classmate, William Rose, who intrigues her by his secretive actions. While following him one night, she suddenly finds herself in another world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,483,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible