Seeds of Discovery by Breeana Puttroff

Seeds of Discovery (edition 2011)

by Breeana Puttroff

Member:dorolerium
Title:Seeds of Discovery
Authors:Breeana Puttroff
Info:Musefish Independent Press (2011), Paperback, 270 pages
Rating:***

Seeds of Discovery (Dusk Gate Chronicles - Book One) by Breeana Puttroff

I will be completely honest when I say this; there wasn't anything particularly notable about this book.

Why did I give this book 3/5 stars, you ask?

Well, I loved the simplicity of this story. It was not complicated at all; it had a very simple story-line, which even action-lovers like me like to read once in a while. I was immediately hooked.

This story follows an ordinary girl, Quinn, who ends up in another world. A girl with no supernatural qualities, just a girl in high school. Most of the books I have read have these chicks with all these perfect qualities; there is something special about them, they are loved by all, are not afraid of anything, and to top it all off, they're strikingly beautiful. Now how are us readers supposed to relate to these kinds of characters? Quinn is so relatable, which made her likable from the start.

Quinn was a very sensible girl, and, unlike other heroines, is smart and has common sense. I like the way the author starts off the book with Quinn, like other normal teenagers, worrying about normal teenage issues. It makes, the readers, take an immediate liking to her.

Another aspect I loved: There was no "love at first sight" crap that most YA these days have.

I have to admit, my inner 5-year-old self squealed when I found out that there was going to be princes, princesses, kings, and queens. However, I wish the author described the setting more. The castles or the world in general weren't explained much. It would have gave this story more of a "fantasy" feel to it.

Most of the secondary characters were a bit flat. They weren't very unique; to me, they all seemed to have the same personality. That being said, Thomas and William were very well-written characters, and both three-dimensional.

I think that this series has plenty of room to grow into a captivating fantasy. There was just so many questions left unanswered, which naturally pikes my curiosity. For sure, I will be reading the rest of this series. ( )
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |
I just grabbed this book from Amazon FREE for Kindle! Hurry and grab it while this deal lasts! 10/30/2013
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
Not earth-shattering, but pretty enjoyable. This is the start of quite a long series - I think there are 4 books and then some sort of spin-off series. My daughter recommended it to me and it was a fun and easy read. I found it a little strange to have characters such as Abby, Zander, Annie and Owen introduced at the beginning and then not heard from again. I'm sure it was set-up for the next books, and they will be seen much more in the coming books. There was an over abundance of characters throughout the book, and there were times when I wasn't sure who they even were. However, I did like Quinn and I loved Thomas and the rest of the royal family. I think young teens will really enjoy this book.

Areas of concern: A man tries (unsuccessfully) to force a girl towards his bedroom. Children are sick and dying from a mysterious disease, but the mystery is mostly solved. All in all, a very clean read. ( )
  Bduke | Sep 3, 2013 |
Seeds of Discovery is the first novel in the Dusk Gate Chronicles. It is a charming and sweet fantasy series about a young girl who crosses over into another world. Filled with adventure, danger, mystery and a touch of romance this tale is sure to delight.

The tale begins when we meet Quinn Robbins. She is a sweet kid who has reoccurring dreams about flowers and a choice. Life is good and just got better because Zander Cunningham has asked her out. Things change when she almost hits a boy as he darts across the street into a ravine. At first it frightens her until she figures out it’s a quiet boy from school. His name is William Rose and he is a total recluse. She never really noticed him before, but now she is seeing him everywhere. With her curiosity peaked she begins observing him and even stalking him. When she sees him entering the ravine again she follows him..only he seems to disappear into thin air. Determined to find out where he goes she lays in wait and watches. He seems to cross a broken bridge and then zap out of existence. Bravely she follows him and discovers a strange new world. The tale that unfolds is magical, as she enters a land with princes and princesses. Here she makes friends and helps uncover clues about a mysterious illness. This was a fun, easy read that kept me entertained.

The characters are unique in Puttroff’s world. I liked Quinn. She is a good kid, inquisitive and thoughtful. William seems stand-offish but the more I got to know this serious and sensitive young man, the more I liked him. Thomas is charming and his sisters were delightful. Zander is sweet and is definitely interested in Quinn. While none of the other boys declared anything, I did feel Quinn and William make a connection and look forward to seeing what develops. Thankfully no insta-love here! I loved the character Alvin and the lesson he gave Quinn touched on her dreams. There were characters I loathed ..like the evil prince Tolliver. I am looking forward to learning more about all of them.

The world-building was enchanting. I loved the simplicity of the world Puttroff created and wouldn’t mine visiting there. We learned a little about the kingdom and its government. I enjoyed the naming ceremony that took place and of course the dancing. There is tension in the land, and there appear to be a few kingdoms. The history of how this occurred was fascinating. I am looking forward to returning. Aside from a few scenes the over all pace was slow, as Puttroff introduced us to the characters and world she created.

Seeds of Discovery was a delightful fantasy and I look forward to reading the next books available in the series. They are Roots of Insight and Thorns of Decisions.

I want to thank the author and Lightning Book Promotions for providing this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review.
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |
This introduction to the Dusk Gate Chronicles is a refreshingly calm teen novel that focuses on the fun element of the story and shows you a lovely alternate world that’s just different enough from our world to keep you engaged the whole time. I was entertained and intrigued from the start, wondering what was going to happen next with each character and situation.

Quinn is your average high school junior, going through school with the typical worries of a girl her age – is the cute guy going to ask her out, gossiping with her best friend, driving her siblings around. And then everything changes. I was thrown into a panic on her behalf when she found out she was stuck in William’s world for ten days…what would she say to her family and friends!? And forget about school work!

To read the rest of my review, please visit my blog. ( )
  dorolerium | Jan 23, 2013 |

Quinn Robbins becomes aware of a reclusive classmate, William Rose, who intrigues her by his secretive actions. While following him one night, she suddenly finds herself in another world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,928,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible