A Worker's Writebook: How Language…

A Worker's Writebook: How Language Makes Stories

by Jack Matthews

Writing in the Dark: Essays on Literature and Politics by David Grossman (rjnagle)
    rjnagle: Another Great book about writing.
    The Art of the Novel by Milan Kundera (rjnagle)
    Writing Fiction Step by Step by Josip Novakovich (rjnagle)
    rjnagle: Another great writing guide,with more exercises
    13 Ways of Looking at the Novel by Jane Smiley (rjnagle)
    rjnagle: Another highbrow fiction writing guide

Very few writers support themselves through writing. Writing short stories for monetary rewards is even harder according to author Jack Matthews. He approaches writing as a lesson in generating ideas and seeing them through to fruition through a variety of tips and techniques. The Table of Contents is not usable. An index is included. ( )
  bemislibrary | Aug 7, 2016 |
It took a long time for me to read and review this book. At least for me, it was a tad too far into the relaxed; not enough content to judge it based on merit. Although the author, Jack Matthews, is a strong professional in the field of writing, his knowledge does not translate into a viable program to help those who are looking for guidance into the realm of writing. At another time, I shall try to re-read this book, but alas, it saddens me to report that this book was not one that I highly rated. ( )
  kristincedar | Mar 18, 2012 |
This reads like a writer's workbook, and the with pdf version I can set bookmarks for the places I want to read later. His tips on writers ideas and how to develop them is informative, and his writing style is easy to read through. Since this is mostly written like a textbook, having a light writing style makes learning about writing easier to digest. ( )
  RShelton | Feb 29, 2012 |
I had some difficulty warming to the writing style in this book, and couldn't help imagining how much better this information would be if I were sitting in his class, not reading his book. However, the book contains a great deal of helpful information to improve the writing process and I found parts of this book interesting and useful, although I consider myself a reader rather than a writer. ( )
  readaholic12 | Dec 31, 2011 |
The Worker’s Writebook is cleverly titled to take the art/craft of writing out of the ethereal dominion of the few creatively gifted and place it firmly in the hands of ordinary readers who might be willing to work at producing a story . My initial impression of the writing was that the author was a condescending stuffed shirt. As I continued reading I recognized his tone as that of a caring master craftsman trying to correct his apprentices without crushing their fragile hopes. Jack Matthews presents many of the technical aspects of constructing a fiction as a tongue-in-cheek conversation with the reader. He provides short stories, sentences and phrases as examples illustrating his lessons. He realistically outlines qualities rather than talents needed by a budding author. I would recommend The Worker’s Writebook to any fiction writer wannabe as a reference against which any new writings could be checked for form, texture, conflict, metaphor. The Worker’s Writebook needs to be used, not just read. ( )
1 vote bunniehopp | Dec 29, 2011 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jack Matthews's book A Worker's Writebook: How Language Makes Stories was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible