See You at Harry's by Jo Knowles

See You at Harry's

by Jo Knowles

I read this for a group read for "The Top 100 Children's Books on Goodreads." It is written for Grade 7 - Up. It is a family story of what looks to me like a fairly typical family. These could be any of us living our everyday lives. So there is "happy" in the book, but "sad" also comes in and hits pretty hard. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but this book tackles some pretty heavy topics. However, as it is narrated by a seventh grade girl, it is told in a very real way. It is well written and easy to read. I would highly recommend it for middle school and early high school, but even as an adult, I liked it a lot. It made me laugh, but I also cried. I think you will too :) ( )
  TerriS | Apr 18, 2017 |
Saddest book I've ever read in my entire 62 years! ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
This is part sad, part adorable. See You at Harry's deals with some heavy issues, but I think it was handled with delicacy.

I did my fair share of crying while reading this story. Grab some tissues and spend a night with this endearing read, because you most definitely do not want to read this on a crowded, rush-hour commuter train. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
A gentle story dealing with death, grieving and moving forward. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book made me sob uncontrollably about five times, to the point where my younger sister asked WHY ARE YOU READING THAT?, but it really is a beautiful read. An amazing look at grief, but also about growing up and trying to find who you are with and away from your family. ( )
  Tafadhali | Nov 18, 2015 |
The very best day of my life, I threw up four times and had a fever of 103 degrees. I was pretty sure I was going to die, and sometimes by the look on my mom's face every time she took my temperature, I think she was pretty sure, too.

Twelve-year-old Fern feels invisible. Her dad is always busy planning how to increase traffic to the family business. Her Mom is constantly going off to meditate. Her sister Sarah, who's taking a "gap year" after high school, is too busy finding ways not to work; and her brother Holden is too focused on his new "friend" to pay attention to her. And then there's Charlie: three years old, a "surprise" baby, and the center of everyone's world.

If it wasn't for Ran, Fern's best and oldest friend, there would be nowhere to turn. Ran is always calm, always positive. His mantra "All will be well" is soothing in a way that nothing else seems to be. And when Ran says it, Fern can almost believe.

But when their lives are unexpectedly turned upside down, Fern feels more alone than ever, and responsible for the event that wrenches the family apart. All will not be well. Or at least, all will never be the same.

Twelve-year-old Fern feels invisible in her family, where grumpy eighteen-year-old Sarah is working at the family restaurant, fourteen-year-old Holden is struggling with school bullies and his emerging homosexuality, and adorable, three-year-old Charlie is always the center of attention, and when tragedy strikes, the fragile bond holding the family together is stretched almost to the breaking point.… (more)

Jo Knowles is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,883,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible