She Tempts the Duke by Lorraine Heath

She Tempts the Duke

by Lorraine Heath

Series: Lost Lords of Pembrook (1)

Read this as a palate cleanser, just ended up being annoying. ( )
1 vote Hollie1122 | Oct 5, 2014 |
I wanted to love the book, but it just didn't grab me.

What I Liked

Sebastian is a compelling tortured hero, so scarred in the Battle of Balaclava that he considers himself a monster. We get glimpses of his two colorful brothers (thus setting up the next two books), and they have their own demons. The opening scene, in which the three of them burst, pistols drawn, into a ball being given by their uncle, is quite exciting.

Bill Graves, from the Scoundrels of St. James series, and the Duke of Ainsley, from [b:Waking Up With the Duke|9528246|Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3)|Lorraine Heath|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327876988s/9528246.jpg|14414309], make cameo appearances.

What I Didn't Like

The idea that the brothers' uncle planned to kill the three brothers in order to become the duke and this is after killing his own father and brother was just too over the top. There was never an adequate explanation for how he planned to get away with it. Also, it never was clear why the brothers stayed away so long -- twelve years -- before coming back to claim their rightful places.

Conclusion

Despite the melodramatic background, not a lot happens in this book. Mary is compromised and jilted by her fiancee; Sebastian marries her out of honor; they fall in love. The end. I expect the brothers' stories will be more exciting. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
First read by this author. Fast. Fun. Steamy without being raunchy. I like that the h stays true to her personality. ( )
  lesmel | Sep 19, 2013 |
this one was a more interesting tawdry novel. three brothers hunted by their uncle, who wants the heir's ducal title. definitely draws on the story of Richard III and his nephews, but the author also mentions this, so it's more of an interest point than an eye roll. ( )
  librarydanielle | Apr 1, 2013 |
She Tempts The Duke is the first in the Lords of Pembrook series. It has been a while since I have read from this author, and she has always been a personal favorite of mine. She never disappoints...and I found myself falling in love once more. The characters here are unforgettable, ones that are so endearing and climb their way straight into your hearts. Sebastian is a tortured hero--very much tortured, more than I have seen in a while. He is heavily scarred on the outside and the inside. We see evidence that he has suffered much over the years, but I really loved the way he is with his brothers and Mary. We see that he really cares for Mary, even if he doesn't admit it right away. I enjoyed seeing the gentleness he displays with her, even though he has only known a life of roughness and abuse and hardship. Mary is very strong willed and fights for what is right more than what is easy. Mary is the one who saved the three brothers when she was a mere girl. We see through differect acts of courage, how she continues to protect them even at costs to herself. She accepts Sebastian for who he has become, and see's past the scars and into the man. I love a heroine that doesn't judge, but accepts and loves Sebastian for who he is now. There is a danger side to the plot, one full of intrigue and mystery, there is also some sensual moments that keep you totally immersed into the story. A True Gem of a story that will steal its way into your heart. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 23, 2013 |

Lorraine Heathprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adele, FayeReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Bestseller Heath (Pleasures of a Notorious Gentleman) launches the Lost Lords of Pembrook series with a one-note antagonist in an otherwise strong tale. As a child, Sebastian Easton, the eighth duke of Keswick, fled from his murderous uncle. When Sebastian and his brothers return as the legendary lost lords, only his childhood best friend, Lady Mary Wynne-Jones, seems undeterred by his scarred face and missing eye. Though Mary’s father warns her that her friendship with Sebastian might threaten her engagement, she can’t help her attraction to the dark, dangerous man Sebastian has become. Mary’s fiancé breaks off the betrothal, so Sebastian feels honor-bound to marry her. The middle meanders as Mary competes for Sebastian’s love against his desire for vengeance, but when the over-the-top evil uncle appears, Sebastian is forced to understand what is truly important to him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062022466, Mass Market Paperback)

Three young heirs, imprisoned by an unscrupulous uncle, escaped—to the sea, to the streets, to faraway battle—awaiting the day when they would return to reclaim their birthright.

Sebastian Easton always vowed he would avenge his stolen youth and title. Now back in London, the rightful Duke of Keswick—returning from battle a wounded, hardened, changed man—cannot forget the brave girl who once rescued him and his brothers from certain death.

Lady Mary Wynne-Jones paid dearly for helping the imprisoned young Lords of Pembrook, and she remembers well the promise she made to Sebastian all those years ago: to meet him once more in the abbey ruins where they shared a bold, forbidden kiss. While Mary is now betrothed to another, a friendship forged with dark secrets cannot be ignored. Unexpected passion soon burns dangerously between them, tempting Sebastian to abandon his quest for retribution and fight for a love that could once again set him free.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

Sebastian Easton--the rightful Duke of Keswick--returns to London and cannot forget Lady Mary Wynne-Jones, the brave girl who helped him and his brothers and with whom he once shared a forbidden kiss.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,084,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible