When a Scot Loves a Lady by Katharine Ashe

When a Scot Loves a Lady

by Katharine Ashe

WHEN A SCOT LOVES A LADY by Katharine Ashe is an exciting historical romance set in 1813 London,England. It is the first in “A Falcon Club” series.This is the story of Falcon club agent,Lord Leam Blackwood,a Scottish lord,who has returned to England from his Scotland estate. And Kitty Sevage,a spinster who not only warms his blood but who he causes her heart to beat fast. But will secrets,and deception keep them apart. When an enemy threatens to destroy their lives,both most come face to face with an enemy who would kill them both. A fast paced,action packed,adventure filled story of love,passion,desire,betrayal,the Crown’s work,and a powerful story of love,forgiveness,and romance. A must read! This story will appeal to anyone who enjoys historical romance, adventure,a bit of mystery,suspense,Regency England and a spy or two. The Falcon Club members are an intriguing group who are named for Birds of Prey: Eagle,Sea Hawk,Raven, and Sparrow and who are not spies or so they say. I can hardly wait for the next installment in this intriguing series. Received for an honest review from the publisher. Details can be found at Avon Books, an imprint of Harper Collins Publishers,the author’s website and My Book Addiction and More.
RATING: 4.5
HEAT RATING: MILD: Mild detailed scenes of intimacy,mild violence or profanity
REVIEWED BY: AprilR, My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Apr 24, 2012 |
The review that follows is a partial review. To read the full text, please visit:

~*~*~*~
NOTE: While reading this review, it may seem like I am being snide or rude, but please know that that is not the way it is meant to come across! I am trying to be honest about the flaws that I found in it, but I am not the sort of reviewer that writes nasty hate reviews, no matter the book. As we know, sometimes a simple sentence, when written on a computer screen, can come across more than one way, often without us meaning to. If this happens with anything I say in this review, I am truly sorry!

Now, on to the review, shall we?

For the first half of this book, my opinion on the story was a bit indifferent really—many time I almost put the book down, marking it as a rare DNF. But something told me to stick with it, and that's exactly what I did, even though the journey was a bit rough and tedious at times. I can't say that I regret the decision to finish the book; while it may not have been my favorite, When A Scot Loves A Lady was a decent read, if a bit slow.

One of the main reasons that I had such a difficult time with this novel was due to its editing. Although, yes, this is an ARC of the book, and therefore uncorrected, I would like to know one thing: where were the quotation marks? Not one in the whole book, and yet there were numerous conversations, although at times you couldn't tell due to their formatting. Perhaps it is not fair to judge this flaw because of the nature of the book's format (ARC) but I couldn't stand the absence of basic editing. Trying to distinguish between story and conversation—and more importantly who was participating in said conversation—gave me a headache. And when a book causes a headache, believe me, it's hard to focus on other things—such as storyline and characters. It even made the love scenes more of a struggle to read instead of an enjoyment!

Perhaps, then, my opinion on much of this book could change upon reading the final copy. But while I never expect an ARC, or even a final copy, to be perfect, some basics, like quotations, are a necessity.

The story itself was okay, but nothing grand. I was both confused and bored by the majority of the book, though it did get a bit more lively at the end (through use of a lot of sudden plot twists). However, it wasn't anything spectacular, I am sorry to say.

The one thing (besides the gorgeous cover) that I enjoyed in When A Scot Loves A Lady is the loving. It was, no doubt about it, very fulfilling and almost made up for the other flaws in the book. It was tender at times, and rough during others. Case in point: my favorite scene, which takes place on the kitchen counters at night...pots go flying and the servants, as well as the Watch, are called out to investigate! Yet it was always very passionate and emotional; it was not just a convenient way to relieve the couple's...tensions.

...
~*~*~*~
This review is property of NightOwlReviews.com ( )
  The_Book_Queen | Feb 22, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006203166X, Mass Market Paperback)

“Her characters are intelligent, vibrant, and wonderfully complex. Katharine Ashe writes with eloquence and power.”
—Lisa Kleypas

“You’ll be swept away by Katharine Ashe’s evocative writing.”
—Sabrina Jeffries

The phenomenal Katharine Ashe flings open the portals of the mysterious Falcon Club—the intriguing Regency address that has every gossip in London asking, “What use has society of an exclusive gentleman’s club if no gentlemen are ever seen to pass through its door?” The first book in Ashe’s captivating historical romance series, When a Scot Loves a Lady finds its dashing hero Lord Blackwood, an agent of the ultra-secretive Falcon Club, ready to return to his home in Scotland—but not without the scandalous lady who has captured his heart while bringing unanticipated danger into his life. Johanna Lindsey fans, this Scot’s for you!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

London gossips are asking: What use has society for an exclusive gentlemen's club if no gentlemen are ever seen to pass through its door?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,019,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible