How the Marquess Was Won by Julie Anne Long

How the Marquess Was Won

by Julie Anne Long

Well written, the dialogue between Phoebe and Jules was spectacular. When they were together everything was just perfect and made scense. The minute the scene shifted to others, it got a little rediculous and I did a lot of eye rolling thinking "really? this would really happen?". Reguardless I enjoyed the verbal acrobatics and was happy for the HEA. ( )
  saturnnalia | Nov 22, 2013 |
Take a charming school teacher heroine and a dashing marquess; throw in an entertaining cast of characters and a devilish cat. Top off with marvelous banter and endearing humor. Delicious. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
Another excellent Pennyroyal Green novel from Long. A satisfying blend of humor and depth. Not to be missed. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
I read a lot, I mean A LOT of books and love smart witty characters. This book will be one of the tops on my list. Story line: Lisbeth Redmond thinks her beauty and last name will win her the love of Lord Julian Spencer. Spencer needs to marry Lisbeth in order to reclaim a portion of Redmond land that once belonged to his family. Neither of them counted on a schoolteacher by the name of Phoebe Vale to disrupt their plans.
I loved this book and enjoyed the extremely smart and funny lines from Phoebe, which obviously come from Julie Anne Long herself. I actually may go back and highlight some of my favorites because every time I read them, I laugh out loud.

There is a description of when the Marquess and Phoebe were dancing with other partners. Their eyes meet, both in thrall, then he was forced to look away because he stumbles. The rest of the description of Jules trying to recover is hysterical ... "And this, tragically, was when gravity lost its patience and destiny exercised its rights and everything went straight to hell and into legend. The marquess teetered to the left, then teetered to the right and (his partner)'s slippers scrabbled in place, but when they began to tip in earnest, the marquess made a desperate decision: he flung Lisbeth away from him to safety. ...Jules crashed to all fours on the floor...Lisbeth spun past Phoebe like a blurry muslin roulette wheel....Phoebe burst into laughter. She quite roared with it." And so did I while reading it. The picture she painted with her words is vivid. I felt like I was there witnessing the whole thing.

This is one in the Pennyroyal Green series. I have read a number of them and found them all delightful. So far, this is my favorite. I have a confession to make...it may not have had any bearing on my review, but my grandmother's name was Phoebe. She was nothing like this charachter, but it may have added to the warmth I felt for the her. I bought this in book form and not Kindle and now I am glad because I am going to earmark some of the wonderful dialogue that I so enjoyed. I'm now going to make sure I have all Julie Anne Long's books and purchase the ones I may be missing. ( )
  DebKiddSmagala | Aug 5, 2013 |
Fantastic read, I really enjoyed this book, my favorite so far in the Pennyroyal Green series. I found it endearing and very funny in some parts - the cat was a hoot! I loved Julian, Marquess Dryden and how everyone followed him and did everything he did (the forelock was hilarious). I could have scratched Lizbeth's eyes out - glad the cat got her instead! Also, I love the title, assuming Marquess is pronounced "Mar-kwess" - the British way. My only gripe - awful cover! Her dress makes her body look so loooooong! Otherwise, great book with vivid characterizations and lots of humor - my favorite combination! Each one in this series is better than the last - and eager for Adam's story next! A real winner - six is a charm! ( )
  ktleyed | Jul 4, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006188569X, Mass Market Paperback)

The Scandal Sheets call him Lord Ice.

Ruthless, cold, precise, Julian Spenser, Marquess Dryden, tolerates only the finest— in clothes, in horseflesh, in mistresses. And now he’s found the perfect bride, the one whose dowry will restore his family’s shattered legacy and bring him peace at last: the exquisite heiress Lisbeth Redmond.

She's about to play with fire...

But one unforgettable encounter with Lisbeth’s paid companion, Phoebe Vale, and the Marquess is undone. This quiet girl with the wicked smile and a wit to match is the first person to see through the icy façade to the fiery man beneath. But their irresistible attraction is a torment as sweet as it is dangerous, for surrendering to their desire could mean losing everything else they ever wanted.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:49 -0400)

Cold and ruthless Julian Spenser, Marquess Dryden, intends to marry a beautiful heiress whose money will restore his family's coffers, but what will happen when he is attracted to her paid companion?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible