Kiki Strike: The Darkness Dwellers by…

Kiki Strike: The Darkness Dwellers (2013)

by Kirsten Miller

The Irregulars are finally back for their third adventure, this one split between NYC and Paris. Kiki heads to her native land only to be kidnapped enroute. One of the Irregulars makes it to Paris to help her, and along the way we enter the underground world of Paris rather than that of NYC. In the meantime, Oona has problems with her twin while they're also working to help Kiki from their end.

I'm not sure if I liked this one less because I waited so long and have moved on in my y/a reading tastes or if it's not as good. My daughter said it was as good. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
I absolutely love the style of the Kiki Strike books - the narrator mixed with helpful hints, mixed with a cohesive story. The characters are great, the style is fun, the story is convoluted but enjoyable. ( )
  ibugg | Jan 25, 2015 |
Another great addition to the Kiki Strike series! Hopefully not the last, though some loose ends are indeed tied up. Will definitely pick up another one if/when it comes out. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
Kiki sets off for Pokrovia to find proof that her aunt murdered her parents. But before she can reach Pokrovia, she is kidnapped when her plane stops in Paris to refuel. So Betty hurries to Paris to rescue Kiki.

Meanwhile back in New York, Ananka tries to lead the rest of the Irregulars while dealing with a forbidden crush. Oona's evil twin is shoplifting and dining and dashing all over Chinatown and getting Oona in trouble. DeeDee is being stalked by a middle-aged blond lady.

This book is split equally between the Irregulars in New York and Kiki and Betty in Paris, but it is Betty who is the star of the book. Betty, who is the sweetest and most trusting of the Irregulars, proves that you can be nice and be dangerous at the same time. ( )
  soraki | Dec 8, 2013 |
The Darkness Dwellers was another great installment in the Kiki Strike Series. In this volume Betty Bent and Ananka take more of a lead role. Betty follows Kiki , who is tracking her evil relatives, to Paris. While Kiki and Betty are in Paris Ananka takes on more of a lead role within the Irregulars group. There are a number of sub plots in this book with one of the more major one being a finishing school recruiting one of Atalants's more unruly students. The book was well written and still an immensely empowering novel for middle graders. Given some of the other female main characters in today's middle grade and teen fiction it's nice to see this series featuring strong and confident young women. That being said I was disappointed in the plot thread that involved Ananka pining over Betty.'s boyfriend, Kaspar. It wasn't the crush that bothered me as much as the way she became conniving and made her friendships secondary to her feelings for Kaspar. I thought this didn't fit well with Ananka's character and didn't seem to ring true. Also, Kiki spent a good bit of the book being annoying but she too shows great personal growth by the book's end. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and all the tidbits about NYC which are tucked inside its pages. The ending was a bit of a cliffhanger so I'm hoping there will be another book to follow
  68papyrus | Mar 25, 2013 |
There are plenty of impatient people in this world who will pick up a book and thumb past its preface.

While Kiki Strike is in Paris trying to stop her evil cousin, the princess Sidonia, from all sorts of terrible deeds, it is up to Ananka and the other Irregulars help Kiki find the cure for baldness, foil the evil plans of Oona's twin, and keep Ananka herself from falling in love with wrong young man.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,000,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible