American Vampire - Vol. 3 by Scott Snyder

American Vampire - Vol. 3 (edition 2012)

by Scott Snyder

Member:sgram
Title:American Vampire - Vol. 3
Authors:Scott Snyder
Info:Vertigo (2012), Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Comics
Tags:Horror, Vampires

American Vampire Vol. 3 by Scott Snyder

In professional wrestling, there's this term for a specific kind of character called a "tweener". A tweener is basically a guy who's generally in it for himself. He's not exactly a heel (bad guy) or babyface (good guy), he's more so inbetween. A prime example would be Stone Cold Steve Austin, a guy who exhibits traits of a rule breaker but is beloved by the fans.

If we took the American Vampire universe and labeled the characters in relation to their actions, Skinner Sweet would be the definition of a tweener. Sure, you could argue that he fits the role typically portrayed by a villain but with some of his actions in Volume 3, Skinner is often walking that line between good and evil.

In Volume 3, Snyder moves the setting to the 1940s and the conflict of World War II. By that alone, Snyder's already got me interested. If you ask anyone, Nazi's are the true measuring stick in regards to the level of evil the human race can sink to. When you throw vampires in the mix as soldiers of the Reich, you're sinking so low you might as well be operating out of Hell.

While the first two volumes are just plain excellent, the third installment truly takes things up a notch. The ongoing development of some of these characters has lead the series into some fantastic story telling. Snyder is just churning out compelling fiction, leaving nothing off the page. Emotions are running high as characters like Skinner Sweet, Pearl Jones and Felicia Book interact throughout history, desperately trying to rid the world of one another.

This Scott Snyder guy is something else. I've yet to read anything of his that doesn't grip me from the beginning and leave me wanting more. There's so much to love within this series and so far, I can't recommend it enough. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Best volume of the three so far. Gutted I don't have book 4 to hand. ( )
  Kate_Ward | Nov 12, 2013 |
This was my favorite volume of the series thus far. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
I have not liked vampires this much in a really, really long time. I put off reading this volume for a while because my opinions on World War II stories are decidedly meh (there were other things happening in the forties, guys!) but Snyder strikes an excellent balance between moving forward the personal arcs of his characters, progressing the mythology of the vampires he's created, and motherfucking Nazi vampires. So that's okay. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
I can distill my review of why volume 3 of American Vampire is my favorite in the series down to two words: Nazi vampires.

Seriously, does anything else need to be said? Probably not, but just try to shut up my enthusiasm for Snyder's series.

In volume 3, we follow our American vampires and those who love to try and stake 'em into World War II. In the first storyline, Pearl's husband, Henry, is enlisted by the Vassals of the Morning Star (a society of vampire hunters who have made an uneasy pact to keep Pearl and Henry safe) to join a team being sent to the island of Taipan to wipe out an indigenous vampire. When they arrive, they find a vampire unlike any they've ever seen: these vampires retain nothing of their former humanity, can turn a human in a matter of minutes, and are particularly vicious. To complicate matters, the first American vampire, Skinner Sweet, jealous of Henry's relationship with Pearl, sneaks aboard with the intention of killing Henry.

In the second storyline (which is by far my favorite), Felicia Book and Cash McCogan are sent to a remote European castle to track down a rumored cure for vampirism. What they find instead is a Nazi plan to utilize vampires as the ultimate killing machines.

Felicia Book is a particularly interesting character. The daughter of a vampire and a human, Felicia has a huge chip on her shoulder as she has been raised to avenge the death of her father. She's one bad ass mamma-jamma and Snyder hasn't clearly addressed exactly what genetic side effects she may have from her supernatural parent. It will be interesting to see how she continues to develop as a character.

The vampire mythology continues to be the most intriguing part of the story. So many vampire types, developing over the centuries and in varying geographical areas, have led to distinct species with particular strengths and weaknesses. The introduction of the towering ancient vampires hidden beneath the Nazi stronghold is one that I hope gets more focus in future storylines. ( )
  snat | Jul 4, 2012 |

Scott Snyderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Albuquerque, RafaelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Murphy, SeanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

When the bodies of prominent businessmen start showing up drained of blood, Chief Cash McCogan must get to the bottom of the case--even if it means fighting the evil undead.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible