If I Ran the Dog Show: All About Dogs (Cat…

If I Ran the Dog Show: All About Dogs (Cat in the Hat's Learning…

by Tish Rabe

373306,014 (3)None

In all honesty, this book should not be a children's book. I felt that this book was slapped together and used the "Cat In The Hat" theme just for marketing purposes. True, it was not written by Doctor Seuss and it shows. Consider first that the illustrations are of the actual Cat in the Hat with a smothering here and there of Thing 1 and Thing 2. Who would pick this up? My guess would be early readers like 2nd through 4th graders tops. And 4th graders would be pushing it as there are so many better more interesting things to read.

First off, it is way too long. Too long of a book 42 pages too long. And it is 42 pages of standard rhymes. When I see the Cat in the Hat, I expect some Seuss-ism. Like using rhymes with words like "Verschlunk" & "Finesk". Silly non sensical words that Dr. Seuss uses to make a rhyme come together. There is none of that here.

I feel that the vocabulary is kind of advanced for a book this type. Words like, "Olfactory" and "Receptors" are used. If an adult is not present by obligation, the reader has a good potential to miss comprehension.

I felt that the font was a tad on the small side, but the balance here is that if they made the fonts any bigger we would have a 100 page book instead of a 43 page one.

And lastly, I felt that the author was trying to give a bullet point to every dog description imaginable. Now, I am a big kid. I was bored with this book midway through. I can see a child' attention span wander easily with this book and easily could be interpreted as work for the child instead of fun.

Bottom line, the book has potential especially with the powerhouse marketing of the Dr. Seuss branding but it really needs a lot of work. ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
Author: Tish Rabe
Title: If I Ran The Dog Show
Illustrated: Aristides Ruiz and Joe Mathieu
Publisher: Random House
Date: 2012
Pages: 48
Type: Poetry
Summary: The Cat in the Hat shows kids all about dogs. He shows them different types of dogs. The different heights, fur, eyes color. He lets them know how to tell if they are happy or sad. Also talks about the whistle the dogs can only hear.

I liked this book, it is very cute! I think the children will definitely get into this one and it is a great way for them to learn about dogs. I love the illustrations to, very bright and colorful!
  emfro20 | Mar 25, 2014 |
This book has the character Cat in the Hat telling all about dogs. He looks at how dogs look, different breeds of dogs, and how dogs do jobs to help people. The whole book is in rhyme much like Dr. Seuss would have written himself.
Genre: Informational
Critique: This book is a good example of informational because it provides many facts and characteristics about dogs and builds appropriate vocabulary in this area.
Media: cartoon ( )
  khoecker10 | Nov 7, 2012 |

In this latest installment of the Cat in the Hat's Learning Library,the Cat and Co. attend the Short-Shaggy-Tail-Waggy Super Dog Show, a strictly Seussian-style event where readers learn—among other things—that dogs are mammals who vary wildly in size and shape; the difference between purebreds and mutts (who are both featured throughout); how tails help dogs to balance; that they can see better in dim light than we can; the amazing things they've been trained to do; and much, much more. Fans of the new PBS preschool science show The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That! (which is based on the Cat in the Hat's Learning Library) won't want to miss this doggone good new addition to the series!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:17 -0400)

The Cat in the Hat attends the Short-Shaggy-Tail-Waggy Super Dog Show, where purebreds and mutts of all shapes and sizes compete, and learns how dogs use their tails for balance, how well they see in dim light, and more.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,158,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible