The Panama Laugh by Thomas S. Roche

The Panama Laugh (edition 2011)

by Thomas S. Roche

Member:dada1967
Title:The Panama Laugh
Authors:Thomas S. Roche
Info:Night Shade Books (2011), Paperback, 300 pagina's
Collections:Mijn ebooks
Tags:Science Fiction, Ebook

The Panama Laugh by Thomas S. Roche

Zombies? Check. Gross violence? Check. Creepiness? Check. Fast-paced action? Check. Engaging characters? Check.

All that stuff was great, and skillfully done. But the best thing is the quirky style the author brings to the genre. In the middle of the worst apocalyptic crisis imaginable, you get a description of a bad southern accent imitation like this: "J.R. Ewing drunk on Sterno, rehearsing for a bit part in a Broadway-musical remake of Deliverance." Like a good chef, Roche knows how to season the book with this kind of flavor in just the right spots, in just the right amounts, without over-doing it. I was delighted every time I ran into such a passage.

If I was the anti-hero of the story, Dante Bogart, here's what I'd say: "Best damn zombie book ever, fucko."

Oh, and by the way, I want a sequel. I've seen the apocalypse. Now I want to see the post-apocalyptic hijinks.
  squirrelontherun | Apr 13, 2013 |
Very solid, and in the Lucius Shepard vein. Sort of book that could get upgraded after thinking about it a bit.

A mercenary working for a family whose elder wants to look into radical life extension gets to travel the world investigation viruses and biotech etc. Sort of lucky for him that it did as it means he develops an immunity to the disease that turns people into zombies. The sort of zombies that the Joker would create.

Thereafter, zombie apocalypse and he and an ex-criminal gun nut mate and his ex-girlfriend try and survive with a small group of devotees of his conspiracy viral videos telling what went on.

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/2012/03/the-panama-laugh-thomas-s-roche... ( )
  BlueTysonSS | Mar 13, 2012 |
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2011/12/review-the-panama-laugh-by-thomas-s-roche.h...

The Panama Laugh has been high on my to-read list for a bit, but it moved up in the queue because Paul Goat Allen (of Barnes and Noble) said it was awesome. Yep, The Panama Laugh made a zombie fave list of his, and it’s been a few books since my last zombie novel, so it was time. There’s a fairly comprehensive synopsis above so I won’t rehash it. I will say that The Panama Laugh grabs you by the throat, hard, pretty much from page one and doesn’t let you go. Please let me stress this. It. Doesn’t. Let. Up. Dante Bogart is pretty much everything I love in an anti-hero. Yes, I’m a sucker for the bad boys sometimes, I admit it, and Frosty D. (don’t call him that)¸falls right in with just the kind of guy that would get my motor running. When the man wakes up naked, bloody, and loaded for bear in the middle of a battleground, gets up, surveys the scene, takes a suspicious-yet-valuable looking case with him, and makes his getaway, I’m totally his by the time he washes up at the home of his old friend Van Fish, wondering where the last 5 years went. His old flame, Trixie (that’s Dr. Trixie to you) is there too, and she’s a little bit pissed at how Dante left things between them. That’s really the least of his worries though. Trust me on this one. When the laughers start invading the shoreline of Fish’s jungle home, the real fun starts.

Thomas Roche pulls absolutely no punches with Panama Laugh. The guffawing (this is seriously creepy-making), hysterical dead come from every direction, and thanks to a relatively good supply of ammo, lots of guts end up flying around. Lots. A veritable cornucopia of gooey flying zombie flesh fills the pages of The Panama Laugh. As Dante, Trixie, and Van make their escape via air, eventually ending up on a nuclear fortified gunship of the coast of San Francisco, our hero rarely flags. Told in first person from Dante’s POV, the narrative goes back and forth between the action at hand to the events leading up to the zombie apocalypse, and it’s not a pretty story. Corporate greed, a madman’s desire for eternal life, and radical groups bent on depopulation make for a heady cocktail, and Dante’s experience with the nasty cause of the Panama Laugh is very, very personal. Giving away too many details would take away the visceral fun of this awesome, terrifying, gruesome, and warped roller coaster ride, and I certainly don’t want to do that. Roche’s writing is tight, immediate, and engaging, and if you’re anything like me, you’ll want to read it in one sitting (ok, I read it in two, but I wanted to read it in one.) Horror lovers will eat this one up (sorry about the pun), and if you’re a true zombie fan, it’s not to be missed. I was in the mood for something “zombie”, different, and awesome, and I got all three, and more, with The Panama Laugh. Put this one on your must list! ( )
  MyBookishWays | Dec 29, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible