The Book of Daniel (St. Nacho's) by Z.…

The Book of Daniel (St. Nacho's) (edition 2011)

by Z. A. Maxfield

Member:amdrane2
Title:The Book of Daniel (St. Nacho's)
Authors:Z. A. Maxfield
Info:Loose Id LLC (2011), Kindle Edition, 216 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:m/m romance, series

The Book of Daniel (St. Nacho's #4) by Z. A. Maxfield

The St. Nacho’s gay series is set in a small coastal California town where a group of interesting individuals live and for the most part get along peacefully. While there’s a little prejudice and bias, the laid-back community mostly accepts any and all who settle there.

In Maxfield’s Jacob’s Ladder, Yasha (AKA Jake) and his brother Daniel were in a horrific car accident caused by the coastal fog and Daniel was pulled out of his expensive sports car by firefighter Cameron Rooney, whom Daniel has nicknamed the “abdominal firefighter” because of his huge size. Daniel has recently come out and is in the process of divorcing his exacting, finicky wife whose many rules have kept Daniel bound and unhappy for decades. Although he’s known since his teens that he’s gay, successful, wealthy developer Daniel married because his mother was heartbroken when his brother came out, leaving Daniel as the only “normal” son.

After the accident, Daniel is left with a mangled but repaired hand, physical therapy, and a succession of one-night stands as well as a Kanji tattoo on his back. He’s fighting his attraction to Cam until they become best men at Yasha’s upcoming wedding. As they get closer, Daniel realizes he loves Cam. But how can someone as shallow and manipulative as he is gain the love or someone as gentle and giving as Cam? And even if Cam loved him, they’d have no future since Cam sees St. Nacho’s as his ultimate haven while Daniel sees it as a prison.

The power of the story relies on readers liking both the wealthy Daniel and the altruistic, big-hearted Cam.

Read the rest of my review at AAR: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9529 ( )
  phenshaw | Nov 3, 2013 |
This is my favorite book of the series. We have Daniel, Jacob's brother and someone who his entire life has lived in the closet, married to a woman who he really did not love. We get to see Daniel grow and realize the truth about himself.

We also have Cam, the hunky, Firefighter who acts like the playboy but has the heart of gold.

There was enough angst to keep us in suspense, but not enough that I was rolling my eyes. A very good romance. ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |
A good ending to this part of the series. I liked Daniel's story better than Jacob's (his brother, 3rd book in the series), because it felt more real. I liked that the ex-wife is not an evil witch and I think that this part was done very sensitively. I liked Cam, Daniel's love interest - because there was nothing not to love. He is pretty, honest, decent etc, and also very likable, but that made him also a bit boring. All in all a good read. ( )
  Tam2603 | Apr 18, 2013 |
This one didn't really work for me. I liked Dan, but the other characters always seemed to expect the worst of him. Mostly, I was disappointed at the way the plot points would build up then sputter down without actually working through and resolving them. Especially the four month jump near the end. I'd've liked to see Dan's fight, his stand against his friends and business partners, rather than just seeing the aftermath. ( )
  Nightcolors | Apr 8, 2013 |
3.5 Stars! Not as good as the others in the series but I enjoyed it. I love the world of St. Nacho's and would really like to see more of these books. I was sad to finish reading it because I couldn't pick up the next one. ( )
  macyj | Nov 26, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,467,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible