Baking Style: Art, Craft, Recipes by Lisa…

Baking Style: Art, Craft, Recipes

by Lisa Yockelson

211495,208 (4)None
B11 (1) baking (6) cookbook (3) cooking (2) desserts (2) food (1) fred (1) library (1) technique (1)

Baking Style is Lisa Yockelson's newest book on all things baking. The extra large format and bright pink cover are eye-catching so it won't get lost and forgotten on your shelves. She starts with a detailed explanation on various techniques, equipment, and ingredients. Then she moves on to the recipes. The organization is hard to follow, it seems more whimsy than anything else, but the photographs are plentiful and gorgeous and the large format means the recipes are easy to read.

Marzipan Scones -

These were the lightest, fluffiest, tastiest scones I've ever made! The base is not too sweet and it really highlights the little chunks of marzipan that are scattered throughout. I will definitely be making these again.

Dirty Cake -

More like a coffee cake than say a birthday cake, this had loads of cinnamon flavor. It was a little hard to get the second layer to cover the cinnamon brown sugar topping, but I persisted and won out in the end. This cake tasted even better the next day.

Parmesan and Gruyere Popovers -

My one disappointment in this book. I was surprised that the recipe called for refrigerating the dough. Every popover recipe I've ever made calls for all the ingredients to be at room temperature to help the popovers "pop". I followed the recipe and, indeed, these popovers didn't "pop". The flavor was nice, but I missed the light, airy texture.

There are so many more recipes I will make from this book - Saturated Orange and Bourbon Cake, Big and Crazy Chewy Date Bars, and Cardamom Buns that (Almost) Levitate, just to name a few! ( )
  frisbeesage | Jan 25, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0470437022, Hardcover)

Book Excerpts

A Snazzy Bittersweet Chocolate Tea Bread
(Click for recipe)
Bundles of Joy
(Click for essay on the joys of cookies)
Brown Sugar Toffee Cake
(Click for recipe)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:50 -0400)

"... Love letter to home baking... through 100 essays and more than 200 recipes"--From publisher description.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,447,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible